26 replies to this topic

#1 Alastair

Alastair

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 07:39 AM

[color=#282828;][font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif;"]Hi, [/color][/font]

I have searched through to get feedback - there are now so many results it becomes difficult to make a decision, as individual opinions depend on the posters tyre usage.  

I have 17" x 7J front rims ET26, 18 x 8J rear rims ET35.  Currently 195 front, 235 rear.  No rubbing, so i know sticking near to these sizes should be ok for me.

My intended usage is about 4000 road miles a year, with  "very spirited" weekend country road driving in the dry, a hoon,  occasional use in the wet,  including some use in the winter (but happy to take it easy when the weather isnt favourable).  The car is likely to do a National, and maybe another track day each year.

After searching i think the contenders are, 

Posted Image

Based upon the usage above, any suggestions.  The KU39 really are much cheaper, so if they are OK i would be happy to consider those, opinions range from great to hateful on the KU39 so a bit confused on that one.   I think my intended usage doesnt really warrant the need for the AD08's.  I also think a 30 profile rear wheel is getting a little too thin for road use so not sure on the Toyo either.

Should i stick to 205 fronts? i dont think i really need to go to 215 front as i dont tend to suffer from under steer on the road.  I have a 1" ARB and 4 channel ABS (and considering fitting an ABS cut off before the national).

Thanks

Alastair

#2 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 07:52 AM

AD08R tyres get my vote thumbsup

#3 Mattyboi

Mattyboi

• PipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 08:53 AM

Just upgraded to those myself and they are great!

#4 james4563

james4563

• PipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 09:17 AM

I have to say, I wouldn't pick AD08R if you are planning driving in the wet. Unless mine were 'gone off' from too much track abuse with the previous owner they were absoluty shocking.

Back end losing grip at about 15mph in places I'd never expect it to go like that. Really hard to get any heat into them during the colder weather. I guess it might be something you can deal with based on your relitivly low mileage expectation, I use mine every day so was a bit different.

They were very good in the dry though, much better than the soft sidewalled Eagle F1s I fitted for the wetter weather.

I've heard the RS-R are a very good tyre. I am tempted by a set of these for the summer.

Edited by james4563, 28 March 2017 - 09:18 AM.

#5 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 09:30 AM

Out of those I've only used the RS-R and they were OK for me.

#6 Alastair

Alastair

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 09:45 AM

I have to say, I wouldn't pick AD08R if you are planning driving in the wet....

Thats my fear on these.  its a lot of money to spend if it then means i end up backwards in the neighbours hedge when its pissing down.  I am conscious that i will drive my car in the wet during the year.

#7 chickendippers

chickendippers

• PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 09:49 AM

Always used the RS-R and they've been brilliant on road and track. Probably not the best for wet grip but then again you should drive to the conditions you're in.

Keep an eye on the prices though as I paid nearly half of that just over a year ago

#8 D-DAWG83

D-DAWG83

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • Interests:Cars, motorsport, music and films

Posted 28 March 2017 - 11:59 AM

I got the RS-R's and driven in some rediculous rain, as said, just drive to the conditions, it certainly focuses the mind. Found them great on track and road, and to be honest, wouldnt consider fitting anything else at the moment, especially for the cost.

#9 Jetpilot

Jetpilot

• PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 12:17 PM

For road and track i have used both ns2r and rsr (not on a vx220), you would struggle to find a lot of difference between them, so it would purely come down to cost now between them.

#10 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 12:29 PM

on track i have used AD08's and 595RSR, the RSR is the better track tyre. 

on the road i think the are similar in the wet too,..

i dont know how long AD08's lat compared to 595's tho, but if it was me, then the 595 would be the tyre to get

ad08's looks like a nicer tyre tho imo.. if thats at all a reason lol 

#11 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,762 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 28 March 2017 - 12:47 PM

Hmmm

Edited by oblomov, 28 March 2017 - 12:47 PM.

#12 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 12:52 PM

I wouldn't go for any of the 'Ultra-performance' or semi-track tyres for your use. I'd just get a good quality road tyre which will give you all the performance you really need on the road, cheaper, offer better compliance on the road, and avoid minor paranoia when its a bit wet or cold..

I'd like to try the newish Advan Sports something, although not sure what sizes they come in. I've used Goodyear Eagle F1 Asym 2's (there's Asym 3 out now though) and they are an excellent all-rounder.

#13 james_ly

james_ly

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 01:06 PM

I've used the hankook ventus prime road tyres, in the 195/225 sizes. They are a bit soft sidewalled but a good road tyre and not bad on track. Got ad08r now and they make it a lot better in the dry and a bit worse in the wet, I'd not bother with semi slicks for road use personally, even on the Bridgestones you have plenty of grip.

#14 james_ly

james_ly

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 01:08 PM

I've used the hankook ventus prime road tyres, in the 195/225 sizes. They are a bit soft sidewalled but a good road tyre and not bad on track. Got ad08r now and they make it a lot better in the dry and a bit worse in the wet, I'd not bother with semi slicks for road use personally, even on the Bridgestones you have plenty of grip.

#15 Mattyboi

Mattyboi

• PipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 02:12 PM

I've used the hankook ventus prime road tyres, in the 195/225 sizes. They are a bit soft sidewalled but a good road tyre and not bad on track. Got ad08r now and they make it a lot better in the dry and a bit worse in the wet.

Agreed!

I have Hankook Ventus Primes on my standard wheels which I just swapped from and they are a great road tyre and perform well on track. The AD08's are a step up in grip but are abit worse in the wet but nothing to worry about.

My plan is to use the Hankooks as winter tyres and the AD08's as summer tyres.

#16 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,762 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 02:24 PM

I'm in the same position as I'm about to put new wheels on the car.  I only use the car in the dry and I've decided to go for a softer tyre than a 'normal' road tyre (UTQG 300AAA) or thereabouts.  Federal RS-R are quite soft, only 140AAA with 6.4mm tread whereas Yokohama AD08R are slightly harder, 180AAA with 7.14mm of tread.  So as far as I can see the cheaper price of the Federal against the Yokohama is offset by the Yokoham wearing better and having deeper tread.  I did a chart of sizes because I'm looking to avoid having to recalibrate my traction control; not particularly fussed about a smaller overall front tyre.  It won't copy and paste though.

Edited by oblomov, 28 March 2017 - 02:26 PM.

#17 Alastair

Alastair

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 05:07 PM

i just looked at the latest 2017 Auto Express tyre test data, three "new" tyres on the market that i can get in my size are the 

Dunlop SP Sport Maxx RT2 

Conti Sport Contact 5

The new P zero

All 4 are around the £400 mark, there are no current reviews on .org, as i guess they are new, and i am not really looking for std sizes.  Selecting a 215 front over a 205 will save me up to £40 on these sizes, but still feel like i want to stick at the 205 width.  The Dunlops do seem to have many good reviews.

#18 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 28 March 2017 - 05:10 PM

I'm in the same position as I'm about to put new wheels on the car.  I only use the car in the dry and I've decided to go for a softer tyre than a 'normal' road tyre (UTQG 300AAA) or thereabouts.  Federal RS-R are quite soft, only 140AAA with 6.4mm tread whereas Yokohama AD08R are slightly harder, 180AAA with 7.14mm of tread.  So as far as I can see the cheaper price of the Federal against the Yokohama is offset by the Yokoham wearing better and having deeper tread.  I did a chart of sizes because I'm looking to avoid having to recalibrate my traction control; not particularly fussed about a smaller overall front tyre.  It won't copy and paste though.

the rs-r fronts last me 2 years , I change them not because tread depth, but the amount of track day heat cycles , rear tyres every year 

#19 scw02102

scw02102

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 05:47 PM

I found RSR very good on track but no convinced you can get enough out of them on the road as they need heat to work.

I would use Eagle F1 asymmetric for road use, very good all round tyre

AD08r are very good too but expensive and harsher ride

#20 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,762 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 06:29 PM

the rs-r fronts last me 2 years , I change them not because tread depth, but the amount of track day heat cycles , rear tyres every year 

Other than my first set of Bridgies I haven't come near wearing out a set of fronts.  Present fronts being replaced have plenty of tread left despite 3 sets of Eagle F1s on the rear.

I found RSR very good on track but no convinced you can get enough out of them on the road as they need heat to work.

I would use Eagle F1 asymmetric for road use, very good all round tyre

AD08r are very good too but expensive and harsher ride

Had Eagle F1s for the past five or six years for road use and can confirm that

I've just bought AD08s at reasonably good price after a lot of shopping around on t'internet.  The prices of tyres seemed to vary day by day and also by tyre size and sidewall ratio in particular.  One day some were a given price and 24 hours later increased by £10 and then five minutes later had gone up again by another £2 and then back down by £7.  Toyo R1Rs were available for the front at a very good price but that was offset by rears being over £50/60 more.

If Alastair has 18" rears I think he should look closely at the specs for the tyres he's buying because one make may not rub but another may very well.  I researched not just the makes but tyre widths, circumferences, tread depths, diameters, front rear % ratios, and advised rim sizes as well.

I'd always assumed that for any given correct size for a rim you could go 2 sizes up or down, but there seems to be a lot of variation in manufacturer recommendation.  For example Federal 595RS-R 235/45R17 (Federal in particular) have a recommended rim size of only 7.5-8.5.

Edited by oblomov, 28 March 2017 - 06:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users