MartinS

I only bought it for one summer. 14 years ago and now its gone&#

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
  • Interests:Track days
    Pubs
    Sausages

Posted 28 March 2017 - 12:12 PM

Been looking and cant find much info on how Avon ZZR's are in the wet, I am assuming similar to Toyo R888's, i.e fine but beware of big puddles.

Anyone used them on the road and track as there one tyre?

Martin S

Edited by MartinS, 28 March 2017 - 12:13 PM.

#2 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 12:31 PM

have you asked mark? he ran both on his car on track.

#3 pete-r

pete-r

I never drive faster than I can see

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 02:07 PM

I used them on a wet TD this month at anglesey and they were awful if I'm honest. For me they were even worse in the afternoon when it started to dry because the grip was so high on dry sections that when if finally slides your really shifting!

#4 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 03:46 PM

A048s are fine in the damp but not very good in standing water.

Apparently is the same story with Trofeos (and I'm a bit nervous about the journey to and from spa this week on them). The Pirelli advice even says not to drive on very wet motorways. :blink:

I expect ZZRs will be the same, fine in the wet, not so good in standing water.

#5 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,727 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 03:52 PM

Not encounter wet roads on the ZZRs but last year on the way back from croft I floated down the motorway despite dropping speed to 40 mph

#6 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,507 posts
  • Interests:"Keep it standard"
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 28 March 2017 - 04:01 PM

Do you currently have Pirelli P Zero Corsa fitted ?

The uprated Trofeo tyres, I found this comment on TLF

[color=rgb(39,42,52);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;]A very senior Lotus Ride & Handling Engineer what tyres he preferred on the Exige and the Corsa are excellent tyres, the Trofeo accounts for less than half a second per lap around Hethel by his (huge) experience in the car. [/color]

So, doesn't look worth the change to me 

Edited by mbes2, 28 March 2017 - 04:04 PM.

#7 Jetpilot

Jetpilot

• PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 04:36 PM

[color=rgb(39,42,52);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;]A very senior Lotus Ride & Handling Engineer what tyres he preferred on the Exige and the Corsa are excellent tyres, the Trofeo accounts for less than half a second per lap around Hethel by his (huge) experience in the car. [/color]

Maybe he should try the Trofeo R's :), or is that what he tested, if so, i am not sure i would follow his recommendations.

Edited by Jetpilot, 28 March 2017 - 04:38 PM.

#8 pete-r

pete-r

I never drive faster than I can see

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 06:03 PM

Not encounter wet roads on the ZZRs but last year on the way back from croft I floated down the motorway despite dropping speed to 40 mph

That! I'm fitting a set of Elise 'twisie' wheels with ad07s for the trip to Spa.

#9 piwo

piwo

• Pip
  • 167 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 06:14 PM

r888 5mm depth, zzr 7mm depth.

r888 no open sides, zzr open sides.

#10 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 07:44 PM

[color=rgb(39,42,52);]A very senior Lotus Ride & Handling Engineer what tyres he preferred on the Exige and the Corsa are excellent tyres, the Trofeo accounts for less than half a second per lap around Hethel by his (huge) experience in the car. [/color]

I suspect that's utter BS.

Sounds like what someone wanted to hear.

But I'll let you know.

Posted Image

#11 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,507 posts
  • Interests:"Keep it standard"
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 28 March 2017 - 10:26 PM

You exhaust is still so clean lol You planning on taking it on track ?? I'm just enjoying road driving, missed that so much when I owned my vx

#12 MartinS

MartinS

I only bought it for one summer. 14 years ago and now its gone&#

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
  • Interests:Track days
    Pubs
    Sausages

Posted 29 March 2017 - 06:30 AM

Two reasons for my question, one is that Lauren is on Avon zzr's and second is that theres something wrong with my front tyres as despite balancing I still have vibration and the tyre guy showed me them on the balancer and there was a tiny flat spot , as I think the car has sat for a while so am getting new tyres. They are originals at 7000 miles and look almost new on the front!

On the Exige I was torn between a full on track tyre full time (Avon ZZR) as I had no concerns using my 888's on the vx all year long on the vx but think I will for Michelin Cup 2's as per the latest Exige 380.

With regards Piwo commenst, what does 'open sides' mean and I thought the Avons were 5.5mm depth.

Will look at what to do on Laurens VX.

Thanks all.

Martin S

#13 hughcam

hughcam

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Interests:driving, motorcycling, snowboarding, v12 lawn mowers

Posted 29 March 2017 - 06:56 AM

To answer the original question accurately zzr's are VERY hairy in the wet on track. An AD08r is on another level in wet circuit conditions. To demonstrate this is a vid of me on zzr's round Anglesey in the wet - basically drifted every corner: https://youtu.be/lWCwUlVXhdE

#14 Firthy

Firthy

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 07:44 AM

To answer the original question accurately zzr's are VERY hairy in the wet on track. An AD08r is on another level in wet circuit conditions. To demonstrate this is a vid of me on zzr's round Anglesey in the wet - basically drifted every corner: https://youtu.be/lWCwUlVXhdE

Totally disagree I think they are very progressive... If there is loads of standing water 90% of the time the session gets red flagged anyway.

You just have to careful through standing water exactly the same as an R888, 

You are driving on the racing line so of course its going to be slippy  :rolleyes:

Edited by Firthy, 29 March 2017 - 07:52 AM.

#15 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:14 AM

Don't know for your application Martin but the top tier of the official Caterham Racing series use ZZR's as a dry tyre and ZZS's as a wet tyre. 

#16 hughcam

hughcam

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:33 AM

Totally disagree I think they are very progressive... If there is loads of standing water 90% of the time the session gets red flagged anyway.   You just have to careful through standing water exactly the same as an R888,    You are driving on the racing line so of course its going to be slippy  :rolleyes:
Have to agree to disagree then. The tyres are progressive but even driving on a 'wet' line the tyres dont have much lateral grip. Braking is ok but I just dont think there is much if any silica on the compound? (I dont make tyres so mistlikely completely wrong!) In the wet its almost impossible to get any heat in the carcass also. In my experience a high performance road tyre is a quantum leap better in actual wet conditions (not damp). In damp/drying conditions its an awesome tyre, but imo the wet/standing water its pretty terrible

#17 hughcam

hughcam

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:35 AM

Also to add I have used r888's and zzr's on the road and track. The ZZR's are marginally better in all areas👍

#18 Firthy

Firthy

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:58 AM

Totally disagree I think they are very progressive... If there is loads of standing water 90% of the time the session gets red flagged anyway.   You just have to careful through standing water exactly the same as an R888,    You are driving on the racing line so of course its going to be slippy  :rolleyes:
Have to agree to disagree then. The tyres are progressive but even driving on a 'wet' line the tyres dont have much lateral grip. Braking is ok but I just dont think there is much if any silica on the compound? (I dont make tyres so mistlikely completely wrong!) In the wet its almost impossible to get any heat in the carcass also. In my experience a high performance road tyre is a quantum leap better in actual wet conditions (not damp). In damp/drying conditions its an awesome tyre, but imo the wet/standing water its pretty terrible

Yes but as a one tyre solution I think they are pretty mega, I wouldn't say they are "hairy".

#19 hughcam

hughcam

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 09:05 AM

I think they are an awesome tyre! But I suppose it depends on context and skill level as an all round proposition. One mans hairy is another mans fun!! (That sounds so wrong 😂)

#20 TonyKL

TonyKL

V6

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 09:23 AM

This is a very informative post on the playground:

http://forums.seloc....ge=2#pid7381086

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users