Donnington Park Friday 21St April

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 09:32 PM

Just booked up on the national circuit with MSV, unreal circuit. Anyone fancy it?

#2 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:17 PM

Was pretty much a test day today, I counted 8 road going cars and the rest were race cars. There is an LMP3 race on over the weekend so they did a test session at lunch time and during the day the LMP support races (GT CUP & Radical challenge) were out smashing around. Deffo made things interesting :) You had to have eyes in the back of your head.

#3 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Interests:Motorbikes, VX220, Procrastination

Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:30 AM

In our championship, Donington is the only race where there's no test day on the Friday. Looks like this is a similar position for other championships. It's a shame as I'm sure track day drivers would prefer not to share track space with racers who want/need to test. How's the car going Steve? Happy with lap times? Flat through Craner curves?

#4 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:43 AM

Fully Flat :)

The front end does go a bit light in the middle due to the stiff bar but traction comes back before you need to turn.

My fastest lap is half a second off the lap record for my car in it's current spec (if I'd have raced when everyone had the same spec I'd have qualified 4th in a grid of 30). From my data I car see where I could eek out another few tenths, a new set of tyres and a bit of a tow and I think I'd be on the front row :)

#5 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 11:16 AM

I think one of the Noble owners there in his maclaren P1 gt car?

He said he managed a 1.05, it was Friday or Saturday. 

#6 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 11:31 AM

Looks like you lost a little bit at the bottom of cranors. Felt from the vid like you was a bit hesitant through there. Good lap tho :P

#7 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 12:13 PM

You are dead right Chris, that is the only place on the track I could have gained time (according to my data analysis). I think the key is to compromise the entry speed to gain on the exit. I also didn't use all of the track on the exit so I was clearly not right on the limit. You can see by the Delta in the top right that I gain on the way in but lose it all on the way out. 

Mark - There were a lot of very fast GT cars out there, Lambos, Ferraris, Ginetta G55's but it was good to chase them and not be held up. 1:05 is mega quick! Some of the Radicals were unbelievable, one of the SR8's wow!

Edited by SteveA, 26 April 2017 - 12:15 PM.

#8 james_ly

james_ly

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 12:14 PM

Last time I went to Donington there were almost 10 red flags, including a Ginetta Junior who's rear bumper fell off!

#9 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 12:17 PM

Two red flags on the day, one for a Megan Smashing into the Armco and the other to Recover a G55 GT car and clean up after it dropped it's fluids.

I felt a bit sorry for the normal road cars as it must have been pretty intimidating.

#10 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 03:34 PM

i would say yoo need all the help you can get going back up that hill, its a good old slog and i bet you feel it in your car. I think you want to be powering on just before you hit the apex, cut the inside corner quite a bit as that side of the car will be light as all the weight is in the left and it wont do much over the kerb.. .. and you can get a pretty decent line through there.

#11 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 04:27 PM

Double post.

Edited by chris_uk, 26 April 2017 - 04:28 PM.

#12 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 04:35 PM

You are dead right Chris, that is the only place on the track I could have gained time (according to my data analysis). I think the key is to compromise the entry speed to gain on the exit. I also didn't use all of the track on the exit so I was clearly not right on the limit. You can see by the Delta in the top right that I gain on the way in but lose it all on the way out. 

Mark - There were a lot of very fast GT cars out there, Lambos, Ferraris, Ginetta G55's but it was good to chase them and not be held up. 1:05 is mega quick! Some of the Radicals were unbelievable, one of the SR8's wow!

It's a shame my race was on the longer circuit as it would have been interesting to see what I could have gotten on that layout.

It was his mp4-12c GT3 actually. His P1 is his road car :D

60 seconds of his lap

https://www.instagra.../p/BTUbGaghKo3/

#13 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 05:21 PM

Shame you don't have a vbox as we could easily factor out the last part to get a 3/4 comparison.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users