Led Headlight Bulbs

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Willovrs

Willovrs

• Pip
  • 216 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 07:40 PM

Hi, Anyone fitted any led headlight bulbs? Similar to this - https://www.ebay.co....tm/391749041928 Wondered whether they would - A) actually work B) not catch fire C) actually fit D) give out decent light Thanks Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 Strugs

Strugs

World's #1 cheese fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 07:57 PM

They'd be less of a faff than HIDs if they work!

#3 Tareim

Tareim

• Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:23 PM

This video might be of some use

looks like the LEDs don't really have a beam pattern so might cause issues

#4 martinroger

martinroger

• PipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:35 PM

Following this out of curiosity.

#5 Willovrs

Willovrs

• Pip
  • 216 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 11:49 PM

Be interested if anyone had tried these Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 06:15 AM

Someone has: http://www.vx220.org...d-and-reviewed/

also see this http://www.vx220.org...rest/?p=1859226 (note this was comparing a projector made for an LED bulb vs a projector made for a xenon bulb, so represents a best case comparison)

#7 Willovrs

Willovrs

• Pip
  • 216 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 06:47 AM

Someone has: http://www.vx220.org.uk/forums/topic/143567-led-headlights-fitted-and-reviewed/   also see this http://www.vx220.org.uk/forums/topic/117604-replacement-headlights-gauging-interest/?p=1859226 (note this was comparing a projector made for an LED bulb vs a projector made for a xenon bulb, so represents a best case comparison)

Cheers Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 06:59 AM

Final point. LEDs are fitted to modern cars for two reasons:

Much more energy efficient than xenon which results in less alternator loading and therefore better fuel economy

Much more flexible headlight design due to smaller packaging

in a retrofit application, these points don't matter and I would still recommend xenon as a superior bulb type

#9 martinroger

martinroger

• PipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 07:22 AM

Thanks Fez (as usual)

#10 Haston

Haston

• Pip
  • 198 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:44 AM

Been looking at these to....might actually take the plunge and buy them.

#11 oakmere

oakmere

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:12 AM

I was thinking about some of these for main beam as beam pattern is not such a problem and no flash issues of HID. Don't think I would risk them in the dipped beam.

#12 Haston

Haston

• Pip
  • 198 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 11:04 AM

LED's shouldn't be a problem in dipped beam as they are in the projector.

It's only in reflectors that you get blinding issues with HID's

#13 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 11:29 AM

Not entirely correct.

Halogen projectors have a different cut off profile to xenon, which means more dazzling when retrofitted with a different type of bulb. The projector dish and lens are also sized to the wavelength of the bulb, so changing bulb type means poorer focus, more dazzling and worse cut off.

#14 oakmere

oakmere

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 06:34 PM

Might get some for the H7 main beams. I have never changed the main beam bulbs. They are now over 12 years old so I have got my money's worth 😆

Edited by oakmere, 26 April 2017 - 06:35 PM.

#15 H1 HWK

H1 HWK

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:28 PM

Hi All, I ordered some H7's to go in the main beam a few weeks ago (running HID's as dip beam which I find great and the projectors seem to give a really tight beam cut off, so don't believe these cause unnecessary dazzle). Will make an effort to fit them tomorrow. My reasoning was that the dip beam provide plenty of light so if the LED's don't produce much extra it's not the end of the world, and they will flash up instantly so you don't get the start up lag that is a negative effect on the HID's Will try and feedback in a few days.

#16 Willovrs

Willovrs

• Pip
  • 216 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:39 PM

Hi All, I ordered some H7's to go in the main beam a few weeks ago (running HID's as dip beam which I find great and the projectors seem to give a really tight beam cut off, so don't believe these cause unnecessary dazzle). Will make an effort to fit them tomorrow. My reasoning was that the dip beam provide plenty of light so if the LED's don't produce much extra it's not the end of the world, and they will flash up instantly so you don't get the start up lag that is a negative effect on the HID's Will try and feedback in a few days.

If you could post some photos of fitment and what they look like on that would be awesome Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#17 Strugs

Strugs

World's #1 cheese fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 09:15 PM

Not entirely correct.

Halogen projectors have a different cut off profile to xenon, which means more dazzling when retrofitted with a different type of bulb. The projector dish and lens are also sized to the wavelength of the bulb, so changing bulb type means poorer focus, more dazzling and worse cut off.

I've currently got HIDs which have a nice crisp cut-off, why would LEDs be any different (in our application)?

Edited by Strugs, 26 April 2017 - 09:16 PM.

#18 martinroger

martinroger

• PipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 11:01 PM

LED's shouldn't be a problem in dipped beam as they are in the projector.   It's only in reflectors that you get blinding issues with HID's

Not entirely correct.   Halogen projectors have a different cut off profile to xenon, which means more dazzling when retrofitted with a different type of bulb. The projector dish and lens are also sized to the wavelength of the bulb, so changing bulb type means poorer focus, more dazzling and worse cut off.  

I've currently got HIDs which have a nice crisp cut-off, why would LEDs be any different (in our application)?

I suspect it has to do with the shape of the light source being quite different from halogens or HIDs which then fafs up the cut-off! I had that in the motorbike when I tried leds in the projectors.

#19 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 06:09 AM

Not entirely correct.

Different wavelength light leads to different diffraction angles through the lens of the projector.

BTW, the cut off for a projector designed for xenon bulbs is much better than the projector used in the vx.

#20 Haston

Haston

• Pip
  • 198 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 06:19 AM

The cot off line I currently have with my HID's are crisp and never had any issues with dazzling.

H1's ordered now to fit the projector. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users