• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 james_ly

james_ly

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 01:06 PM

Booked this, never been to Goodwood so I'll be pottering around the first few sessions.

#2 Sutol

Sutol

Well it's nearly a Lotus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,120 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 01:54 PM

See you there James

#3 quimbles

quimbles

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 08:18 AM

this looks interesting.

i can read the noise limits........ but.

im ok at bedford just, how about here?

#4 flames247

flames247

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 08:49 AM

It's a fantastic, high speed circuit, loads of space and well run... one of my favourite tracks.

With regards to noise, 98DB static (usually for private track days) and then there are 3 areas around the track they measure drive by DB (around 96DB limit I think). 

My VXT, with decat and standard backbox was over the limit at the start/finish straight as you come thru chicane due to flooring it.

Just let off throttle past that one, and then off you go again. The other 2 on the straights were fine flat out.

Cheers

#5 Sutol

Sutol

Well it's nearly a Lotus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,120 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 09:47 AM

I was at Goodwood on Saturday. After several warnings I was BFed and given an orange sticker which meant I wasn't allowed in a group where there was already an orange stickered car. You're given up to 2 orange stickers and then its bye bye. I've been driving regularly at Goodwood for the last 2 years without an issue. Now it's either my car or they've tweaked the meters. There were 15/45 cars with orange stickers on Saturday which frankly I wouldn't have expected with the type of cars there. My car is SCed and they pulled me on a drive by of 96.2db and the limit is 96. So as said lift or short shift around the meters but they do do spot checks at the end of the pitlane. I know where the mics are but lifting and short shifting when I haven't had to in the past is easy to forget.

eta/ Flames was that you at the circuit on Saturday?

Edited by Sutol, 02 May 2017 - 09:48 AM.

#6 james_ly

james_ly

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:01 AM

96 driveby, I think it's 87 at Bedford, so in theory you're fine...

#7 Sutol

Sutol

Well it's nearly a Lotus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,120 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:04 AM

Not quite James, it depends on how far the mics are from the track. The mics at Goodwood are very close, Bedford's are almost certainly further away. Lets put it this way I wouldn't stand a chance at Bedford.

#8 quimbles

quimbles

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:37 AM

Not quite James, it depends on how far the mics are from the track. The mics at Goodwood are very close, Bedford's are almost certainly further away. Lets put it this way I wouldn't stand a chance at Bedford.

i doubt im louder than an sc car on driveby, ill have no problem on the static.  itbs, full miltek. 

so if your ok at goodwood but not at bedford then i should be fine i reckon? :)

#9 mailtec

mailtec

• Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 09:36 AM

Hi 

If anybody is worried about their first time at Goodwood let me know, i live just down the road and was the chief instructor there a few years ago, more than happy to offer advice!

#10 quimbles

quimbles

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 11:04 AM

i forgot to check with my pa, i cant make it after all..... doh!

i would like to try goodwood, so hopefully ill pass noise regs later in the year.  thanks for the advices everyone.

#11 Jetpilot

Jetpilot

• PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 12:18 PM

I was at Goodwood on Saturday. After several warnings I was BFed and given an orange sticker which meant I wasn't allowed in a group where there was already an orange stickered car. You're given up to 2 orange stickers and then its bye bye. I've been driving regularly at Goodwood for the last 2 years without an issue. Now it's either my car or they've tweaked the meters. There were 15/45 cars with orange stickers on Saturday which frankly I wouldn't have expected with the type of cars there. My car is SCed and they pulled me on a drive by of 96.2db and the limit is 96. So as said lift or short shift around the meters but they do do spot checks at the end of the pitlane. I know where the mics are but lifting and short shifting when I haven't had to in the past is easy to forget.

eta/ Flames was that you at the circuit on Saturday?

^^^ I had the same at Goodwood and have to say despite the track, it was the worst trackday i have ever done.

From what i can understand they are on a average db level per hour they are not allowed to exceed, so if they are getting close, they will NOT allow anyone on track for a session to allow the average to come down, by 3.30 i managed just 4 sessions and decided to call it a day, my mate stayed and managed one more session. 

I believe they do noisey days (102db drive by) but think its limited to members, maybe someone can correct me if i am wrong as would dearly love to drive the circuit again, but that is the only way i would go back, seems utterly pointless driving around metres.

#12 MartinS

MartinS

I only bought it for one summer. 14 years ago and now its gone&#

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
  • Interests:Track days
    Pubs
    Sausages

Posted 13 May 2017 - 05:56 AM

My car got tested at 97db there yesterday so have now signed up for this. the queuing can be annoying but its so nice to be able to just drive over to a local track for once its worth me doing it and wantto see what the Exige is like round it as it compared with the VX.

SC vx's are best to put on a piper vm7000 enclosed air filter or another similar thing, this shuts up the sc scream totally,which is the biggest problem at goodwood for the drivebys.

Martin S

#13 MartinS

MartinS

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
    Pubs
    Sausages

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:08 AM

Whos going

Martin S

Sutol

James LY

Anyone else?

Martin S

#14 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:03 AM

96 what? 87 what?

Sound is measured using any number of filters (which attenuate the bass noise of the exhaust). These cause big variations in the "number" you are quoting. Without stating the filter (e.g. A, B, C etc) the numbers you are quoting is meaningless. Different tracks use different measuring equipment with different filters, so comparing one to the other is misleading if you don't know the filter used.

It's like saying "that piece of string is 15 long" - without the units of measurement it's meaningless.

For example on my previous exhaust (using a cheapo dB reader) I got a reading of 92 dB with the A filter, but 100 dB when using the C filter: https://sites.google...6-noise-results

Edited by Nev, 24 May 2017 - 10:20 AM.

#15 Sutol

Sutol

Well it's nearly a Lotus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,120 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:05 AM

It's measured in dB(A) Nev. The A weighting is the weighting which most represents the response of the human ear. As everyone uses dB(A) everyone knows what they're talking about!

#16 MartinS

MartinS

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
    Pubs
    Sausages

Posted 24 May 2017 - 02:59 PM

I'm just confused as to why Nev is even looking at a track day event posting or even doing a db check on his car as he never does them?!

Those who do, know and understand what they are talking about but thanks for the as ever, useful interjection.

Martin S

#17 james_ly

james_ly

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 03:41 PM

As everyone uses dB(A) everyone knows what they're talking about!

Not everyone ;) :D  

#18 MartinS

MartinS

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
    Pubs
    Sausages

Posted 26 May 2017 - 08:40 AM

Looking a bit damp in the morning now, oh joy.

Martin S

#19 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,507 posts
  • Interests:"Keep it standard"
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 26 May 2017 - 11:09 AM

Looking a bit damp in the morning now, oh joy.

Martin S

Says Mr E.xige ....... you will HAVE no issues even in race mode... car is SO hard to spin unless driving like a 100% twat 

#20 MartinS

MartinS

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
    Pubs
    Sausages

Posted 26 May 2017 - 05:56 PM

Its all new to me, not done a wet day in it yet and still getting used to the idea of traction control.

Will be an interesting day as the only place I know my times so will be a good yardstick comparing it to the VX which was lways very quick there.

Bring it on. Only downside is that I used to love overtaking Lotus's all day now I'm in one!

Martin S

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users