33 replies to this topic

#21 james.a

james.a

Proud member of the Northants Pedantic Crew

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,032 posts
  • Interests:Driving Trigger's broom since March 2010

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:41 PM

I can flick the tail out on the exit to a roundabout but no where near talented/brave enough to attempt anything approaching a drift! I admire those that can.

#22 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:46 PM

Great fun in the wet :)

Now thats drifting, not just correcting a mistake

#23 VXT Tim

VXT Tim

No it's not a Lamborghini!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,421 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:02 PM

Glenn's vxr https://youtu.be/kLRaSGZXbsA

#24 Alastair

Alastair

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:08 PM

There's a bunch of us doing this https://driftlimits....ft-experiences/ on Saturday which should be fun. Anyone else done something similar? The vx is definitely not the car for drifting imo, with a LSD it might be more willing but I don't like getting near that point in mine.

I have done this, its a lot of fun.  The MX5's they use are very well used and abused.  The tyres are next to bald and pumped up to 60-70 PSI to help you drift.  They also wet the concrete "to keep the noise down".  That makes it even easier!

The M3 is a lot of fun at the end.  Not many got big drifts out of it, i recommend growing a pair and nailing you foot to the floor and you will soon be drifting like Tiff Needell  (for at least 30 metres until you spin!)

#25 Dan r

Dan r

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 05:21 AM

They must go through some pretty serious abuse... I'm looking forward to it.

#26 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:06 PM

Most standard-ish cars are actually fairly difficult to drift, due to the way the suspension is designed and calibrated from factory to prevent such activities - obviously some motor test journalists with a certain set of skills have given us the mistaken impression we can buy a GT86 or an AMG Merc and destroy roundabouts at ease..

#27 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:16 PM

Side question, why would you want to drift?

#28 Tareim

Tareim

• Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 06:00 PM

Most standard-ish cars are actually fairly difficult to drift, due to the way the suspension is designed and calibrated from factory to prevent such activities - obviously some motor test journalists with a certain set of skills have given us the mistaken impression we can buy a GT86 or an AMG Merc and destroy roundabouts at ease..

I had a BRZ and getting it sideways was fairly easy and maintaining the drift wasn't hard either especially considering it was my 1st rwd car

#29 LeeS

LeeS

• Pip
  • 173 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:50 PM

Where can I buy that sunstrip Firthy? ;-)

#30 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:55 AM

Where can I buy that sunstrip Firthy? ;-)

Back on Track customers get them , phone Jez , he might be able to bring some to the national

#31 LeeS

LeeS

• Pip
  • 173 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:43 PM

Cheers 👍

#32 Firthy

Firthy

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:02 AM

I had a BRZ and getting it sideways was fairly easy and maintaining the drift wasn't hard either especially considering it was my 1st rwd car
Yeah I have a gt86 as my daily it's very easy to drive very side ways :)

#33 Dan r

Dan r

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 06:04 AM

Drift limits day yesterday was great, drifting is such a laugh and learnt a lot at the same time. Also drove 10 laps in a supercharged atom round their circuit for £60 with an instructor..... Highly recommended :-)

#34 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:37 AM

Most of what people call drifting is just a bit of power oversteer which is different. Firthys vid was good and the VXR at the Oulton drift circuits good examples. The rain/low friction surface negate the need for an LSD. If you try it in the dry or normal roads it usually just ends up with the inside wheel depressingly spinning up. The VX doesnt really have adequate steering lock either. M cars are the best. I have run M cars through about 4 winters now purely just because its fun going sideways in them without shredding the tyres although they are perfectly capable of doing it in the dry. I did the Oulton drift circuits in a Z4M that was epic you could just about reverse that thing into the corners there Ken Block Style. We had a GT86 last year that is a drift machine in the wet. Comically fast locking diff. Did the Rockingham drift day in my Cayman. Thats got an LSD and German steering lock but still spun on 30% of the runs owing to the engine location! 

I would classify a drift as either initiated using the handbrake or if under gas you have to at some point have the throttle fully open and fully closed during the same manoeuvre ie full on and off and back on the gas so properly controlling the car using the throttle. A hip wiggle does not maketh the drift :D 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users