6 replies to this topic

#1 dstarz7

dstarz7

• Pip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:Plastic cars

Posted 16 May 2017 - 12:03 PM

Hi all,

Quick question really - has anyone had any experience with a Corsa VXR (2007 - 2014) Any feedback? Things to look out for? Realistic MPG? Running costs?

Someone I know through work has one he's potentially looking to sell cheap - so thinking about a potential 'daily' replacement. 

Any advice appreciated!

Dan

#2 chickendippers

chickendippers

• PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 12:07 PM

Used one for a month whilst my daily was off the road. They're not a bad car to be honest. Can feel a bit gutless though.

Have a quick Google for "Corsa VXR Piston 4" :(

Very common on these, happens on standard cars too before people start blaming the maps.

Seats are very nice and comfy, ride can be a bit harsh.

If it were me buying, personally I'd go for the Astra VXR instead. 

#3 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Motorbikes, well anything mechanical.
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 16 May 2017 - 12:09 PM

I quite enjoyed the one I used for a bit. Nippy and handle well enough

#4 Haston

Haston

• Pip
  • 198 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 12:51 PM

I use one daily real world 32/33mpg been using it since November.

Great little car a bit stiff and loud (it has a de catted cobra exhaust and is on Spax coilovers)

Turbos can go around 60k, but you can buy a new core fairly cheap and a hybrid core for £180 odd.

Wheel bearings are common to go, calipers can stick (it took me a wile to get use to the hill start on it), coil packs are common to go. Piston 4 can go but it's usually down to mapping or running them on normal fuel. Most mappers won't touch it if you haven't got bigger injectors fitted.

On the early ones seat covers can come away from the backs, but I have a contact at recaro that can send out the fixing kit so it wont happen again.

It has a reputation but if you can see past that and the usual jokes you'll love it.

Ps mine is for sale just now ;)

Edited by Haston, 16 May 2017 - 12:53 PM.

#5 AstonVauxhall

AstonVauxhall

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 02:44 PM

Check the air conditioning works perfectly. The air con pipes are quite fragile it seems. 

Depending on how old it is, check the rear quarter for rust. Sometimes if the bumpers have been refitted, they rub on the arch which goes through the paint and rusts.

#6 dstarz7

dstarz7

• Pip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:Plastic cars

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:59 PM

Check the air conditioning works perfectly. The air con pipes are quite fragile it seems.    Depending on how old it is, check the rear quarter for rust. Sometimes if the bumpers have been refitted, they rub on the arch which goes through the paint and rusts.  

Awesome, that's a great help. Thank you. Are there any mechanically based things to look out for in regards to age / mileage? Or just pretty standard stuff? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 AstonVauxhall

AstonVauxhall

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:39 AM

Check the air conditioning works perfectly. The air con pipes are quite fragile it seems.    Depending on how old it is, check the rear quarter for rust. Sometimes if the bumpers have been refitted, they rub on the arch which goes through the paint and rusts.  

Awesome, that's a great help. Thank you. Are there any mechanically based things to look out for in regards to age / mileage? Or just pretty standard stuff? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well if I was to appraise a Corsa VXR, I would check for the following;

Rust to the arches

Damage to bumpers/splitters (these are quite expensive if they're beyond repair)

Door mirror casings for cracking paint

Door mirror sizes match (a few were replaced under warranty for cracked paint, original part was superseded to a different size - I've seen cars with different sized mirrors)

Exhaust (if modified - check that a catalytic converter is present)

Any engine bay modifications (easy to spot)

Seat trim hasn't become detached from airbag unit

Steering wheel VXR badge is present/not damaged (not available on their own - steering wheel replacement required)

VXR mats present and in good condition (not overly cheap to replace)

Check inflation kit and juice is present

Wheel bearing

Gearbox whining

Doesn't pop out of gear on drive

Difficult to check for a map to be honest, if an intercooler and a Remus 3 piece exhaust is there, it'll probably be mapped from my experience.

Off the top of my head, that's about it that I'd check in detail on a Corsa VXR, everything else is standard car stuff  thumbsup

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users