80 replies to this topic

#1 TheStotts

TheStotts

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 03:39 PM

Looking for some advice please  :)

Car has failed its MOT on the drivers side brake pipe that goes through the sill (part 7 below.) Found lots of threads on here about the problem but not sure of the best solution. My local MOT garage is suggesting the "right way" is to remove front and back clams, cut the sill off the chassis, run the pipes through and rebond the sill to the chassis. Sounds a bit drastic :o They estimate at least two days labour although I probably could remove the clams in advance.

Has anyone had to do this repair or can suggest the "right way"? In some ways cutting into the sill and adding another section of pipe to the rear seems less drastic than cutting it off the chassis. Are flexi pipes or rerouting sensible options?

Just had a quick chat with Matt Bentley and he's doubtful anyone could remove a sill with damaging it beyond repair. He's going to have a look at the pictures and let me know how he'd go about the repair. If anyone else has any ideas I'd be very grateful for your thoughts.

Thanks in advance,

Dave  thumbsup

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 quimbles

quimbles

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 03:56 PM

maybe the long pedal wasn't the pads after all? coincidence?

#3 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:01 PM

the few I have seen repaired have had a new flexi fitted from the ABS block at the front to the rear connection. I would guess it's much easier that trying to get a metal pipe through the sill.

No need to remove either of the clams or touch the sill.

#4 Nelly Vx

Nelly Vx

3/3 Of a Queen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,928 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:06 PM

Give Ghand a message on here, he's just had the same problem and replaced the metal brake lines with flexy ones like the Hell braded lines, had them made the full length of the sill :thumbsup:

#5 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:10 PM

also worth mentioning there are two sizes of fittings on the ABS block, I think it's M14 for the passenger side and M10 for the driver side

#6 ghand

ghand

Drunken lampposts only

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts
  • Interests:Whisky.Keeping reptiles.Cars.
    The odd bike ride, fell walk and weights
    Oh and more whisky

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:55 PM

Hell do a kit for this that goes from the rear calliper to the front connector. It's a 2 m long braided hose with the correct connectors on either end. My mate did mine and used a long rod to get through the packing stuff in the sill then fed the hose through. The other option is to feed a solid pipe through and join it to the existing pipe at the front of the sill that should still be good. You only need the wheel arch liners out.He did say it was a pita 😂 Mine burst and I lost all brakes and was very very lucky it wasn't a week later on the Hoon. Every VX need to be checked as the MOT do not look at them and without removing the undertray and looking at or feeling the pipe you have could have a disaster waiting to happen. Brilliant idea of Lotus/ Vauxhall to make fully hidden brake lines in stainless or copper oh hang on 😂😂😂

#7 ghand

ghand

Drunken lampposts only

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts
    Oh and more whisky

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:58 PM

also worth mentioning there are two sizes of fittings on the ABS block, I think it's M14 for the passenger side and M10 for the driver side

They connect to a long connector that sits on the tub frame, one either side and both the same. The pipe after that to the block should be fine, mine was like new.

#8 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,727 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 05:06 PM

would it be better to run them through the cabin 

so it can be re clipped 

Edited by CHILL Gone DUTCH, 05 June 2017 - 05:08 PM.

#9 TheStotts

TheStotts

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 05:06 PM

I'm hoping it was a coincidence... what if I'd run into the back of that BMW with the big wing  :o :D

Thanks vocky, Nelly and ghand - really appreciate your help  chinky chinky  I'm going to give Matt another ring tomorrow and see if he'd be happy to fit a Hell kit. Any idea how long your mate took to get through the packing material, ghand? And do you have a link, price and/or part number to the kit?

#10 adamvx220

adamvx220

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 05:07 PM

Talk to robin on here he can make you a full set up 👍

#11 TheStotts

TheStotts

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 05:09 PM

would it be better to run them through the cabin 

If that's an option it sounds like a good plan  :)

#12 TheStotts

TheStotts

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 05:09 PM

Talk to robin on here he can make you a full set up 👍

#13 anz3001

anz3001

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 05:14 PM

If flexi pipes can be ran, why not copper brake pipe?

#14 ghand

ghand

Drunken lampposts only

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts
    Oh and more whisky

Posted 05 June 2017 - 05:15 PM

I'm hoping it was a coincidence... what if I'd run into the back of that BMW with the big wing  :o :D   Thanks vocky, Nelly and ghand - really appreciate your help  chinky chinky  I'm going to give Matt another ring tomorrow and see if he'd be happy to fit a Hell kit. Any idea how long your mate took to get through the packing material, ghand? And do you have a link, price and/or part number to the kit?
I'm not sure how long it took him but I can find out tomorrow, just go on eBay and search HEL VX 220 hard brake line replacement kit 👍Make sure it's the 2m long ones. .

Edited by ghand, 05 June 2017 - 05:17 PM.

#15 ghand

ghand

Drunken lampposts only

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts
    Oh and more whisky

Posted 05 June 2017 - 05:25 PM

I did say you can use solid pipe 👍 It's just easier with a flex as no bending or jointing. Solid would probably be a better job and less cost tbh if you have the tools.

#16 anz3001

anz3001

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 05:27 PM

I did say you can use solid pipe 👍 It's just easier with a flex as no bending or jointing. Solid would probably be a better job and less cost tbh if you have the tools.

Sorry, missed that initially.

TBH its probably no more of a sh*t job than some of the ones we have to do that run over fuel tanks and around engine bays.

#17 ghand

ghand

Drunken lampposts only

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts
    Oh and more whisky

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:04 PM

Sorry, missed that initially.   TBH its probably no more of a sh*t job than some of the ones we have to do that run over fuel tanks and around engine bays.
Your probably right if you do that sort of stuff and have all the tools for bending and jointing. Think the flexi kit is easier if you don't as it's made for the job with the correct connectors so once you get the thing fed through it's just a spanner and a few cable ties.

#18 oakmere

oakmere

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:21 PM

Did the long runs of braided effect pedal feel?

#19 TheStotts

TheStotts

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:25 PM

I'm hoping it was a coincidence... what if I'd run into the back of that BMW with the big wing  :o :D   Thanks vocky, Nelly and ghand - really appreciate your help  chinky chinky  I'm going to give Matt another ring tomorrow and see if he'd be happy to fit a Hell kit. Any idea how long your mate took to get through the packing material, ghand? And do you have a link, price and/or part number to the kit?
I'm not sure how long it took him but I can find out tomorrow, just go on eBay and search HEL VX 220 hard brake line replacement kit 👍Make sure it's the 2m long ones. .

Thanks  thumbsup

I've had a quick search and can only find 3m ones (http://www.ebay.co.u...18AAOSwmrlUrQUG) Does yours run from caliper to the ABS unit?

Thanks again for all the help  :)

#20 tommobot

tommobot

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:34 PM

Did this with bolt666 on his car, looked exactly as the pictures.. think we cut out the section at the rear bulkhead, and possibly got access to the other end of sill from front wheel arch. Copper pipe flarer, couple of nuts, roll of pipe.. it sounds a much worse job than it really is..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users