20 replies to this topic

#1 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 07 June 2017 - 08:27 PM

I'm looking at moving to be closer to my work. Whilst I have no grudge against estate agents the option to save a few quid with the likes of tepilo or purple bricks is appealing. I am a northerner after all! Any one got any experience of these est agents? Good or bad would be useful. Thanks!

#2 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 08:54 PM

Last time we did it, in 2014, we haggled with our local Chancellors, since they have the vast majority of the stock around here. Got them down to 0.01% in the end, they started at 0.0175 IIRC. This was for a £245k house, so a fee of 2,450 and while this is about double what Purple Bricks would have charged, they did have to work quite hard for it. It also helped that the house we bought was also a Chancellors house and given that we were 5 to offer the asking price, i think it had some sway for the vendor that we were all with the same agent. It turns out we had a first time buyer and our vendors went to another Chancellors house which then closed the chain. A good day for the Agent. 

And that good day, motivated them to push things along nicely and that is probably worth something. I might have a go first with PB for example but it will be a pain having to show them round and you almost certainly won't like them, forget to show them important bits and so on. I think i'd end up with my local agent again after trying, but never settle for the first offer. 

#3 Wolfstone

Wolfstone

Iceman

• 12,984 posts
  • Interests:Northants Pedantic Crew global domination of the media.

Posted 07 June 2017 - 09:06 PM

My experience of agents is they are all crap and I've never trusted them to focus on the positive of the house. The last time I sold, the agents pictures and description were so poor I had to take pics myself and give them to the agent to use along with a complete re-write of the description.

#4 anz3001

anz3001

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 09:30 PM

I have an acquaintance that has recently jump ship from a typical estate agent to YOPA which bills itself as a bit of an halfway house. Might be worth a look.  

#5 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• 12,034 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 06:05 AM

Make sure you carefully read the T&Cs for Teplio as they have a few crafty conditions.

#6 p4cks

p4cks

Newbie abuser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,430 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 01:41 PM

I successfully used housenetwork recently - they've a great portal which gives you access to your own agent and updates on how many times your house has been viewed.

Fixed price too

#7 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 05:01 PM

Thanks folks!

#8 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 05:01 PM

Thanks folks!

#9 Winstar

Winstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,264 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 06:45 PM

Got them down to 0.01% in the end, they started at 0.0175 IIRC. This was for a £245k house, so a fee of 2,450  

Shouldn't that be 1%? But I agree our estate agent worked hard and got us the asking price

#10 phil.d

phil.d

• Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 08:37 PM

I work with estate agents and knowing them I would never pay a up front fixed fee, they need the motivation to make the sale , don't get fixed into a contract with a single agent for more than 1 month and then if your not happy you can go on with multiple agents , never used a online company so can't comment on them but the work they do is not actually selling the house as they kinda sell themselves, it's making sure the chains work and sales don't fall through due to lack of funds etc so you need to make sure there easily contactable , hope that helps and happy shopping

#11 Tfp

Tfp

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 09:32 PM

Don't most people search for houses on the likes of Rightmove these days?

And the cheapest way of getting your property onto Rightmove is via an online agent?

I've little experience, so interested in peoples views/experience.

#12 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 07:48 AM

This was my thought hence asking.

#13 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:27 AM

I think the approach very much depends on the target audience. I know this is a generic answer, but if you can get a feel for the type of people purchasing properties in your area in might define route (age, position in chain - suspect first or second time buyers are less used to the traditional buying model and more used to online)

#14 p4cks

p4cks

Newbie abuser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,430 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 10:41 AM

Don't most people search for houses on the likes of Rightmove these days?

And the cheapest way of getting your property onto Rightmove is via an online agent?

I've little experience, so interested in peoples views/experience.

This. Estate Agents don't 'find' buyers, the buyers find the properties and are then forced to speak to an EA to negotiate the sale.

They're do very, very little for their money.

#15 sworks

sworks

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 10:59 AM

I sold via Purple Bricks earlier this year.

After selling my previous house with a High Street agent, Purple Bricks offered everything the High Street agent did (and more).

I have a feeling it all depends on the agent you are assigned and the area (our house sold within days—but there were are also a lot of Purple Bricks for sale boards in the area, so think the agents in that area were good at their job).

I also ended up using the conveyancer they suggested—they were also very good. All in, saved a load of cash and got good service.

#16 Tibbles Stryker

Tibbles Stryker

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 02:22 AM

Tried popping a sign up yourself, I know where we live the area is that popular houses very rarely make it to the market for longer than a week? If you know your market then why not?

#17 Andrew aka Stuwy

Andrew aka Stuwy

Made In England

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts
  • Interests:most things are intersting

Posted 18 June 2017 - 12:23 PM

i used a local estate agent (house sold awaiting completion) and its been a very worthwhile 1.5% I have done nothing, didn't even have to show people round.

#18 A.C.oral

A.C.oral

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:38 PM

On that last note we conducted the viewings as I thought I'd do a better job than the agent!

#19 Jason

Jason

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • Interests:Trackdays, Walking, Photography

Posted 21 June 2017 - 10:29 PM

In the process of selling our house. We were just about to put on the market and agent had taken such bad photos and a number of other issues that decided to call it a day. Now deciding on what method, I don't want to complete viewings think a local agent would be best.

#20 Tfp

Tfp

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:28 AM

In the process of selling our house. We were just about to put on the market and agent had taken such bad photos and a number of other issues that decided to call it a day. Now deciding on what method, I don't want to complete viewings think a local agent would be best.

I'm just round the corner from you.

Won't bore you with details but I'd avoid the one local that has the beige/green signs.

Next house I sell I'll def be going with the cheap online service, everyone looks at Rightmove these days, that's what sources the most buyers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users