Photo

Can I Change The Cams Without Changing The Chains?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Mat Jackson

Mat Jackson

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 06:57 PM

I have a new set of piper cams ready to fit, and also have both chains. Problem is I am keen to get the car up and running and mapped and enjoy the summer. I'm struggling to get decent time in the car, so is it feasible to change the cams without doing the chains? (Chains will then be done in winter...) Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:01 PM

realistically... no.

#3 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,727 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:04 PM

would the chains really take that much longer to do while your doing the cams 

#4 Mat Jackson

Mat Jackson

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:06 PM

realistically... no.

Probably right... Might get the car ready for autumn... Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:07 PM

Chains is an evening to do at most. Doing the cams at the same time will add a small amount of time to that.

#6 Mat Jackson

Mat Jackson

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:39 PM

Looks like I won't get an evening until the bedroom is decorated!!! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 pete-r

pete-r

I never drive faster than I can see

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:58 PM

Chains is an evening to do at most.    

Vocky did mine in the time it took Joe to go to get a McDonalds drive through. That said the man is a freak of Z22 nature!

#8 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:15 PM

:lol:

#9 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:19 PM

Chains is an evening to do at most.    

Vocky did mine in the time it took Joe to go to get a McDonalds drive through. That said the man is a freak of Z22 nature!

It's probably about 3 hours for me, so depends how far mcds is :D

#10 Mat Jackson

Mat Jackson

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:20 PM

Right - so seeing as the car is off the ground with arches out, exhaust is off and no fuel lines on the side due to ITBs - how long realistically to change both chains and cams with the clam on for a first timer (I'm pretty competent with a set if spanners). PS, the crank pulls wheel bolt has been off all ready to fit the trigger wheel sensor.... Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 pete-r

pete-r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:36 PM

:lol:

You laugh, I was officially "man down" after you catapulted me in the bollocks!

#12 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:42 PM

:lol: I don't remember that

#13 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:46 PM

you can easily just swap the cams, but I would advise you replace both chain kits at the same time.

Cam swap is about one hour.

But to replace the chain kits on a vx220 for the first time I would advise you remove the rear clam. Or spend a weekend doing the chains.

#14 pete-r

pete-r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:48 PM

Don't blame you, envy ;)

#15 Mat Jackson

Mat Jackson

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:49 PM

Can't get the clam off where it is so a weekend (or several long evenings) it is.... Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#16 Mat Jackson

Mat Jackson

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:52 PM

you can easily just swap the cams, but I would advise you replace both chain kits at the same time.   Cam swap is about one hour.   But to replace the chain kits on a vx220 for the first time I would advise you remove the rear clam. Or spend a weekend doing the chains.

Thanks Vocky, I knew this was the right answer... Always believe in doing a job right - just frustrating to have the car in bits in this nice weather - and with work commitments and holidays I can see the summer disappearing!!! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#17 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:52 AM

if the engine was out of the car it takes 20 minutes to replace the chain kits, but with the engine fitted into a vx220 it makes life so much harder and it takes me three hours on an easy car and upto five hours if it puts up a fight.

And sometimes the engine has to come out, which makes the job considerably longer ....

#18 D-DAWG83

D-DAWG83

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • Interests:Cars, motorsport, music and films

Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:17 AM

Was hoping it could be done, as want to swap some cams over on an engine i have. Vocky, as im a newb, im assuming its not just as easy as undoing the cam bolt on the sprocket, and replacing the cam? Or would you take the chain off each sprocket, and do it that way? What happens to the valve springs etc? Excuse my ingorance.

#19 Mat Jackson

Mat Jackson

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:57 AM

Was hoping it could be done, as want to swap some cams over on an engine i have. Vocky, as im a newb, im assuming its not just as easy as undoing the cam bolt on the sprocket, and replacing the cam? Or would you take the chain off each sprocket, and do it that way? What happens to the valve springs etc? Excuse my ingorance.

You would at least need to remove the chain tensioner before releasing the cam sprockets. This then carries the risk of jumping a tooth on the crank sprocket and messing up the timing too.... The tis covers just cam changing.... Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#20 Mat Jackson

Mat Jackson

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:59 AM

if the engine was out of the car it takes 20 minutes to replace the chain kits, but with the engine fitted into a vx220 it makes life so much harder and it takes me three hours on an easy car and upto five hours if it puts up a fight.   And sometimes the engine has to come out, which makes the job considerably longer ....

My engine is NOT coming out!!!! It's been time consuming enough fitting ITBs and new exhaust manifold!!! TBH, most of the engine bits have been easy to work on, so hoping it should be fairly ok to do.... Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users