Photo

Can I Change The Cams Without Changing The Chains?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 D-DAWG83

D-DAWG83

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • Interests:Cars, motorsport, music and films

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:18 AM

Was hoping it could be done, as want to swap some cams over on an engine i have. Vocky, as im a newb, im assuming its not just as easy as undoing the cam bolt on the sprocket, and replacing the cam? Or would you take the chain off each sprocket, and do it that way? What happens to the valve springs etc? Excuse my ingorance.

You would at least need to remove the chain tensioner before releasing the cam sprockets. This then carries the risk of jumping a tooth on the crank sprocket and messing up the timing too.... The tis covers just cam changing.... Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, all i want to do is swap some cams and valve springs out of an engine i have on the floor. Low mileage engine with new chains and guides etc fitted by Vocky. Engine can then go up for sale

#22 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:26 AM

you need to use the z22se cam locking tool to swap the cams or you will need to remove the cam chain.

#23 oakmere

oakmere

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 10:12 AM

Marks cam change guide is a good one for those who don't need new chains. https://www.verboom....cams/index.html

#24 Mat Jackson

Mat Jackson

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 11:45 AM

you need to use the z22se cam locking tool to swap the cams or remove the cam chain.

Vocky, just to clarify - did you mean you need the tool to do just the cams, otherwise without the tool the gains need to come out. My understanding is that if I am changing the chains I won't need the tool? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#25 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 11:57 AM

if your going to try do it without the chain then be very careful, make sure you get it all timed up to TDC and when taking the cams off make sure not to allow any slack on the intake side because its dead easy for the chain to drop down and skip a tooth.

#26 oakmere

oakmere

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 11:58 AM

Correct you don't need the tool to change the chains.

#27 Mat Jackson

Mat Jackson

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 12:08 PM

if your going to try do it without the chain then be very careful, make sure you get it all timed up to TDC and when taking the cams off make sure not to allow any slack on the intake side because its dead easy for the chain to drop down and skip a tooth.

Thanks Chris - to be honest I'm gonna do the chains and cams in one... it's the right way to do it and even though I need to get the car on the road I don't want to cut corners... Mat Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#28 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 12:47 PM

If you re using can pulleys that are keyed then just mark them up with a paint pen along with the crank. Then tleast once you've finished you can turn it over by hand and make sure they still line up. (If you just do the cams alone).

#29 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 12:49 PM

Correct you don't need the tool to change the chains.

:yeahthat:

#30 oakmere

oakmere

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 08:10 PM

The chain marks don't line up again once you turn the engine over. It is some silly number of revolutions before all 3 line up again. The cam tool is the only way to check once the engine has been turned over. The pulleys will though if marked and aligned with something.

Edited by oakmere, 28 June 2017 - 08:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users