Garage Car Lift

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 ee601

ee601

• PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 10:05 PM

Looks like I'm likely to go from a double garage to a single in the near future, so will need a good way to lift the VX in a narrower space to get underneath. Has anyone tried one of the these? https://www.quickjack.com It looks like an ideal solution but I just wondered if anyone here has any experience of these or similar lifts? Thanks.

#2 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 09 August 2017 - 05:36 AM

Gorbachev on here has one like that, try PMing him.

#3 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:08 AM

Darcini had one of the tilt type lifts. Worked pretty well.

#4 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Motorbikes, well anything mechanical.
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:20 AM

He does but said it's still back heavy and need to keep the front strapped down or something to stop it tipping backwards

#5 ee601

ee601

• PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:48 PM

He does but said it's still back heavy and need to keep the front strapped down or something to stop it tipping backwards
Yeah, that's what I was worried about... I'll ask him, thanks for the responses..

#6 Talk-torque

Talk-torque

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 06:15 AM

That's not a problem caused by the lift, though, is it? That's caused by where the lifting points are on the car. Is there a way to use the 2 rearmost lifting points somehow?

#7 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:16 AM

That's not a problem caused by the lift, though, is it? That's caused by where the lifting points are on the car. Is there a way to use the 2 rearmost lifting points somehow?

No not caused by the lift it's caused by the car being rear heavy. Not sure what you could do to get it to work. If you only wanted to jack it up you probably could use the rear but your stuffed if you want to work on the engine or that

#8 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:40 AM

I know someone that's got one of these and uses it quite successfully..

http://www.ebay.co.u...5.c100005.m1851  

#9 robin

robin

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 04:36 PM

http://www.ebay.co.u...5kAAOxy3NBSikUb

worth a look makes more usable 

#10 ChrisS1

ChrisS1

Club OEM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,360 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 05:37 PM

I've got a set of these which are pretty handy http://m.ebay.co.uk/...fe479%7Ciid%3A4

#11 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,827 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:28 PM

Looks a bit "underdesigned" - have you got any pics of it in action?  

#12 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:08 AM

Looks a bit "underdesigned" - have you got any pics of it in action?  

Unfortunately not.. A chap local to me has one (or at least similar design).

For a sub 1,000kg car, it looks fine to me - its just a big scizzor jack. Obviously, positioning of the jack under the cars CoG is critical..!  

#13 ee601

ee601

• PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:59 PM

I think I'd be a bit nervous of those tilting ones - especially as we're a bit rear heavy with the VX.  If the QuickJack needs some weight in the nose to keep it stable, then the tilting ones cold be pretty tricky I'd think..?

#14 Talk-torque

Talk-torque

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:07 AM

Think I'd be looking at any of these as just being a way of getting the car raised. I wouldn't go under the car without securely positioned, pin through, or ratchet, axle stands under front and rear lift points.

#15 ee601

ee601

• PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 11:14 AM

Think I'd be looking at any of these as just being a way of getting the car raised. I wouldn't go under the car without securely positioned, pin through, or ratchet, axle stands under front and rear lift points.

Yes, good point.  That's rather how I'm thinking of it.  Simply an easier way of getting it up (if you know what i mean.   :blush:  )

Out of interest, does anyone here manage to lift the car ok with a trolley jack inside a single garage?  I'm fortunate enough to have a double at the moment but possibly not for long, so I'm just trying to work out how I'll manage in a single.  Any thoughts?

#16 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 01:44 PM

I think I'd be a bit nervous of those tilting ones - especially as we're a bit rear heavy with the VX.  If the QuickJack needs some weight in the nose to keep it stable, then the tilting ones cold be pretty tricky I'd think..?

Nope, not tricky at all, I used one for 3 years and found it absolutely robust enough for the job. You just need to get used to it and also but a decent adjustable one, not the cheap versions on eBay. I may still have some pics of the car on it if you're interested since the ones on the site have been affected by the photobucket issue. No good for a single garage though since you need to roll them sideways under the car.

#17 ee601

ee601

• PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 05:21 AM

Nope, not tricky at all, I used one for 3 years and found it absolutely robust enough for the job. You just need to get used to it and also but a decent adjustable one, not the cheap versions on eBay. I may still have some pics of the car on it if you're interested since the ones on the site have been affected by the photobucket issue. No good for a single garage though since you need to roll them sideways under the car.
Good point about the single garage. Hadn't thought of that... If you've used one happily I'd be very interested to see it with the car lifted - I can't quite imagine it with the CoG.. So if you can easily find some pics that would be great, thanks..

#18 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 14 August 2017 - 06:59 PM

Yes, good point.  That's rather how I'm thinking of it.  Simply an easier way of getting it up (if you know what i mean.   :blush:  )   Out of interest, does anyone here manage to lift the car ok with a trolley jack inside a single garage?  I'm fortunate enough to have a double at the moment but possibly not for long, so I'm just trying to work out how I'll manage in a single.  Any thoughts?

I have a single garage and manage very easily

#19 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:13 PM

whats wrong with just a jack?!

#20 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:12 PM

Good point about the single garage. Hadn't thought of that... If you've used one happily I'd be very interested to see it with the car lifted - I can't quite imagine it with the CoG.. So if you can easily find some pics that would be great, thanks..
PM me your email & I'll send you a couple.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users