11 replies to this topic

#1 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,762 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 14 August 2017 - 02:03 PM

Bought a soft top cable from Lotus (end adjusting), but it was about 10mm too long even on the shortest adjustment. I had to remove the swivel link at one end to get a tight enough fit. Has anyone else had this problem? I thought they were a direct replacement for Elise S2, Exige V6 and VX?

Edited by oblomov, 14 August 2017 - 02:03 PM.

#2 WrightStuff

WrightStuff

i am sheldon cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 03:16 PM

We buy Lizs version when they snap not the Lotus part

#3 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,762 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 05:12 PM

We buy Lizs version when they snap not the Lotus part

This was to replace a Liz version which was also too long by about the same amount despite being modified.

#4 ElizP987

ElizP987

• 4,037 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 01:50 PM

Hi

it sounds like you aren't replacing in the correct location. Are you undoing the fixing screw from the roof? Held with a little allan-key bolt. Sometimes you have to peel the fabric back a little.

some people have got mistaken in the past and not replaced form this point and tried to attach to the old swivels :)

#5 ElizP987

ElizP987

• 4,037 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 01:51 PM

If you want to post up some pics we can try and help :)

#6 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:01 PM

yes please, as this is also on my todo list.

Edited by smiley, 15 August 2017 - 02:01 PM.

#7 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:08 PM

have done both cables and replaced with Eliz's version, lengths have been perfect.

could do with some new c/s screws as the allen fitting rounds out easy

#8 tibby

tibby

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • Interests:POWER

Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:36 PM

yes please, as this is also on my todo list.

Come back to my home.... i'll fix that for you! ;)

#9 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,762 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 07:42 PM

Hi

it sounds like you aren't replacing in the correct location. Are you undoing the fixing screw from the roof? Held with a little allan-key bolt. Sometimes you have to peel the fabric back a little.

some people have got mistaken in the past and not replaced form this point and tried to attach to the old swivels :)

Hi Liz,

The remaining original OEM cable has no swivel links.  On one end it connects directly to the fixed lug exiting the soft top plastic bit and on the other the adjustable piece also connects directly to the lug. The new Lotus, as with your (excellent) replacement cable has a swivel link at either end. I connected the Lotus cable directly to the soft top lugs and it was approx 10mm too long.  By removing the swivel link at one end I was able to shorten the cable sufficiently to get a tight fit and it's fine now.  Some removing of stitching and then re-stitching was necessary I was given your cable a quite a few years ago after I did someone a favour, so when I eventually needed it and couldn't get it tight enough I couldn't very well say anything.  Fitting to the two soft top lugs, it was also  too long.   I removed the locking nut and cut the male threaded piece shorter so it would screw completely home in the female thread but it was still 10mm too long and the soft top would raise at speed. Looking to remedy this I bought the Lotus replacement only to have the same problem  This is why I was puzzled.  Fixing to the soft top lugs (mirroring the existing OEM cable fitting) both cables are too long.  There are no fixing points that will give a longer length.  I will keep your cable as a spare  in case the other old OEM one breaks.  With a swivel link removed it will fit fine. I haven't yet opened a new account to post pics. Thanks for your help.:-)  The site is still preventing me from posting emojis for some reason.

#10 gertje

gertje

• PipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 01:46 PM

I replaced 3 softtop cabels on 3 diferend softtops buy the cabels from eBay. These cabels are good and not pricy and don't had any problems Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A3003 met Tapatalk

#11 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,762 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 06:10 PM

I replaced 3 softtop cabels on 3 diferend softtops buy the cabels from eBay. These cabels are good and not pricy and don't had any problems Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A3003 met Tapatalk

If you bought them from CraftyPlates they're the ones LizP refers to above and she is the supplier.

#12 ElizP987

ElizP987

• 4,037 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:25 AM

Hi it would be good if you could email me some pictures please as i would be really interested to see what's going on? Never heard of this before and as you had said, ours are the length as the lotus :) Not sure what you mean by fixing lug either as the swivels screw directly to the roof with an Allan bolt so this would be interesting to see :) I will pm my email Thanks Liz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users