• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Rusty789

Rusty789

Ginger Ninja

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:28 PM

Who has what, who's used what and who actually provides you with a decent service! 

I'm not really looking for roadside assistance, mainly just getting me and/or the car home.

Not only for the VX, but also a classic mini, neither of which have decent "book" values, so that's my current stumbling point without being ripped a new one!

Any recommendations? 

#2 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,829 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:50 PM

I used RAC but not particularly impressed.

I called them out when I got locked out at Nurburgring due to fob battery dying. It took around 5 hours for them to arrive as the british end had told them to go to Nuremburg! By then it was 11pm so there was nowhere open to get a new battery (even though I had told them what the problem was several hours earlier). They came back the next day and charged me 8 euros for a 50p battery. I always keep a spare now.

#3 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 07:29 AM

I've signed up to ADAC.  Everyone says they're very good, the price is right (circa €100 for personal cover), but I have not (and hope never to) test them.  I signed up in Germany, so was assured they cover us across Europe and will recover to UK.  All the materials are in German, I receive a nice magazine (in German), but we've called the contact number and English iz spoken.

It's probably an act of desperation, caused by the usual UK suspects not being interested in my aging fleet, coupled with all insurers restricting their terms (value limits on repatriation etc).  The VX is covered under its insurance policy, but its full of limitations so I'm content to have ADAC as a fall back.

#4 Bargi

Bargi

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 06:52 PM

Quite a few years ago now but on a banger rally got to use both AA and Green flag. AA were great, arranged scrappage of said banger (250 euros),taxis, rental cars, 4 star hotel and flights home without me lifting a finger. Green flag you had to pay everything up front and claim back later, wouuldnt help me find a hotel at 11pm at night, yet I needed to confirm with them price and location before booking anywhere to ensure they'd pay later, only covered some of the towing of the car and were generally shite! Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

#5 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts
  • Interests:Playing and teaching guitar / driving

Posted 16 August 2017 - 06:12 AM

I have just had to use AA euro cover after breaking down at Spa Francorchamps. I got multi trip annual cover last year as I was making a few trips and this recent trip was just inside the renewal date. It was pricey but I have to say worth it. They sorted out a garage to carry out a repair in Belgium. I came home separately and they sorted me a hire car from Dover for 48hrs to get me home. They then paid for a mate (mitm off here) to fly out and get the car and paid his Chunnel back. Also got them to rescue him again when it broke down several days later on the A1 as he was bringing it back north. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Acidpopstar, 16 August 2017 - 06:13 AM.

#6 2GOOD

2GOOD

Old Timer zzz...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,451 posts
  • Interests:My little red car of course!
    & the matt black vee twin thingy...

Posted 16 August 2017 - 08:19 AM

Had to use the AA euro cover a long long time ago, motorbike broke down in Holland, on the way home from Assen on a very wet motorway. They were brilliant, Dutch equivalent of AA came to look at it, couldn't fix it, stayed with me until recovery vehicle arrived, taken with bike to secure compound, left bike & taken to nearest city to collect hire car. They made sure that I knew where I was going (route to Calais now as missed hook of holland ferry & I was on my own), arranged ferry home & hire car in the U.K. This was before I (or most people) had a mobile phone or sat nav, it was quite an adventure but AA five star were brilliant. My fireblade made it back to the supplying dealer uk 3 weeks later, the alarm that the insurance had insisted on had shorted out in the wet & just needed to be switched off with the master key that I hadn't been told about!

#7 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,177 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 09:53 AM

Timely thread... I need two trips (2 cars). So, do I book 2 single trips (£30 and £60) or is there a "personal" euro cover that I would be better off buying that would cover any car if I'm in it (like my UK cover)?

#8 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 16 August 2017 - 10:15 AM

I am on personal 1 year Euro cover with ETA , its a claim back service and also includes cycles.

#9 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,177 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 10:40 AM

Just bought and paid for ADAC Plus, very simple. Multi vehicle, whole family covered, job done. 10mins on phone, membership cards via email during the call.

#10 Craig S

Craig S

DA-DA-DUM!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,786 posts
  • Interests:Finding uses for heavy duty velcro :)

Posted 16 August 2017 - 11:58 AM

European cover with Nationwide current account is now £13 a month used the cover in the UK twice now and both times service has been excellent. You also get worldwide family travel insurance and other stuff for your £13.

#11 Tony H

Tony H

Lotus on Crack

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts
  • Interests:Serbian turbo-folk

Posted 16 August 2017 - 12:47 PM

What is best for towing? Think I'd want the best cover available if the towcar or trailer packed in would be a nightmare. Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users