Brake Pedal Creaking / Noise Under Dash

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Mattyboi

Mattyboi

• PipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 11:51 AM

Strange and hard to describe issue which i've had no luck doing a search on here for. I've got a strange noise when braking from under the dash and sounds near the pedal. Its sounds like a creaking noise and is on and off, with the noise intermittency varying with speed.... so at high speed its really fast, at low speed really slow. Its doesnt sound like a relay, no loss of braking performance and its defo in the car under the dash. The ABS is turned off. I've had a look under the dash and cant see anything out of the ordinary. Any ideas??

#2 leevx2.2

leevx2.2

Turbo's are for girls and throttle bodies are too slow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,830 posts
  • Interests:Taking apart vx220s for fun
    getting p!!sed
    genraly playing with large power tools

Posted 27 August 2017 - 11:57 AM

The part of the pedal box that holds the brake pedal is bonded and riverted this sometimes pulls away Open bonnet and get somebody to push the brake pedal look around the servo area for movement

#3 Mattyboi

Mattyboi

• PipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 12:03 PM

Cool i'll have a look! Would that give the cyclic noise? The noise is on and off, or pulses, when braking. So if your going 60 mph to zero the noise is on and off really fast initially but as the speed comes down the frequency of the noise drops off. Hope that makes sense!

#4 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 27 August 2017 - 03:32 PM

Would that give the cyclic noise? The noise is on and off, or pulses, when braking. So if your going 60 mph to zero the noise is on and off really fast initially but as the speed comes down the frequency of the noise drops off. Hope that makes sense!

Sounds a little worrying, I can't imagine what that would be. The only "cycling" thing on the brake system is the ABS.

Edited by Nev, 27 August 2017 - 03:36 PM.

#5 james_ly

james_ly

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 07:12 PM

Does it happen when the car is stationary engine off etc?

If so, then I had this and searched on Seloc. It was the calipers, brake dust on the back of the pads being compressed. So I took the front pads out, sprayed brake cleaner everywhere and it was fine. Wouldn't have believed it until I saw with my own eyes though...

#6 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 08:19 PM

Warped brake rotor pulsing pressure in the line and causing the brake master cyl mounting to creak?

#7 Mattyboi

Mattyboi

• PipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 07:09 AM

Thanks for the suggestions!

I've done 500 miles in it this weekend and there are no brake issues so I'll have a look further one night this week. I dont think it can be the ABS as its turned off and you dont get any pedal pulsing, jus a pulsing creaking noise. Its not warped discs as there are no other symptoms so I'll whip the pads out and inspect them before a good clean and putting back in. I'll take some pictures and if its gone away we can see how much dust could make this happen.

Edited by Mattyboi, 29 August 2017 - 07:10 AM.

#8 Wolfstone

Wolfstone

Iceman

• 12,984 posts
  • Interests:Northants Pedantic Crew global domination of the media.

Posted 29 August 2017 - 03:09 PM

I sometimes have the same with mine. Creaking noise as you press the pedal hard when stationary. Worse in the hot summer. Usually goes away in cooler weather. Just put it down to TADTS.

Edited by Wolfstone, 29 August 2017 - 03:10 PM.

#9 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 31 August 2017 - 08:13 AM

I sometimes have a creaking noise as I press the pedal hard

That'll be your worn out knee joints !  

#10 aquilaproejct

aquilaproejct

• PipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 12:16 PM

Caliper makes that noise on my car

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users