10 replies to this topic

#1 W123

W123

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:59 PM

Hi I've just added my new owner post here:

http://www.vx220.org...ew-na-vx-owner/

Having pored through old posts on this forum before buying my car, I have a few questions.

As a lot of threads are from 10+ years' ago I want to check whether information is still current. 

Eg. for a supercharger conversion, is the Eaton & parts from the US Cobalt still the best bang for buck? or is there for example a Sprintex conversion. Is Courtneys the best, nearest place to Essex for conversions?

What are downsides of the supercharger conversion?

Is PSR still recommended for general looking after? Again, Essex based if there's a recommendation for someone else closer. Someone I know with an Elise recommended PSR a few years ago but recent threads suggest they've moved/become overwhelmed with work. 

Is there a better way to fit & silence all the loose noisy bits of trim that are held on with velcro or double-sided tape? eg a particular make of sticky pads or velcro? Do people just remove things like the plastic trim around the radio and heater controls?

Has anyone replaced the switches , lights etc with more solid-feeling reliable ones? 

Is there an age limit for using these cars? Some of the historical 'cars for sale threads' imply moving to something more accessible or practical. Does the imaginary 'age of owner graph' suddenly drop to zero at 30, 40, 50? I'm 52 i wonder if I'll still be able to get out of my VX at 60 but am I pushing my luck?

Finally for now, I've found that my existing Cybex child car seat is a perfect fit. I can dig out the exact model and pictures if thats of use to anyone. I did look through old car seat posts, I don't think the Cybexes were about back then. 

Thanks

#2 TheRealVXed

TheRealVXed

Sidekick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts
  • Interests:Holy potatoes, fist combat, lycra

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:31 PM

Eg. for a supercharger conversion, is the Eaton & parts from the US Cobalt still the best bang for buck? or is there for example a Sprintex conversion. Is Courtneys the best, nearest place to Essex for conversions?[color=#ff0000;] Courtneys is no longer the best.  There are several independants that will do a supercharger conversion on here.  Batman, Jonnyboy, Chris UK etc.  If you PM them they will give you a price.  for stage 1/2 people are running the eaton still.  There are some harrop conversions available as well but these are far more involved as I understand[/color]

What are downsides of the supercharger conversion?[color=#ff0000;] One downside is you lose the "hoonability" of the NA.  i.e. on the road you won't find the space or the speed limits to really wring the SC's neck.  I have owner NA, VXR (stage 2) and SC now, so have had a flavour of all three.  My favourite I have to say is the SC.  From a drivability point of view it performs exactly like an NA on steroids.  250 is the amount of power these chassis should have left the factory with.  I do miss the purity of the NA, especially on track to be honest as the SC can make you lazy, however the extra power is great in mixed car sessions where someone in something more powerful than the NA but much slower through the corners can actually be passed on the straights.[/color]

Is there an age limit for using these cars? Some of the historical 'cars for sale threads' imply moving to something more accessible or practical. Does the imaginary 'age of owner graph' suddenly drop to zero at 30, 40, 50? I'm 52 i wonder if I'll still be able to get out of my VX at 60 but am I pushing my luck?[color=#ff0000;] My Dad is over 60 and has no problems getting in or out of the drivers seat....  The passenger seat on the other hand is trickier at all ages :lol:[/color]

[color=#ff0000;]I'm sure someone will be along soon to answer the rest of your questions.  Most of the older posts on this forum still stand as the good advice if they haven't been replaced by newer threads :thumbsup:[/color]

#3 Sdf1965

Sdf1965

• Pip
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:Cars, HiFi, Photography, F1

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:35 PM

welcome aboard

Can't answer your queries regards Supercharging, not something I'm looking to do for a while

Before undertaking such work would strongly recommend you check suspension for wear, my NA (03 plate) with 70k on the clock seemed fine, an advisory at the MOT stated track rod ends needed replacing, I started to look more closely and the underpinnings were looking decidedly tired, had complete suspension refurb at Jon Seals and car felt completely different. I now have a great foundation for further development when time and funds allow (couldn't do the work myself due to lack of garage etc) , we all need to be reminded these cars are getting old!

Regards 'age of ownership' that would be an interesting poll...like you I am 52, considered a Porsche but in reality too cosseting and didn't provide that raw feel you get with a VX or Elise (had a couple of Elise's in the past), no issues getting in or out with roof on or off....ask me the same question in a few years time!

Enjoy the car, found mine to be great fun and due to rarity around these parts (Gloucestershire) turns a fair few heads...even got a 'nice car mate' from a bloke in a souped up Seat, praise indeed :)

#4 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,795 posts
  • Interests:Footy, Tennis, Fire.

Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:22 PM

Essex... Where abouts are you? Try Paul at PSR, but if he is too booked up there are a few choices depending on your location. RMS at Gallows Corner. https://m.facebook.c...calservicesltd/ There's Datum just over the border in Herts : http://www.datummotorsport.com Over in Suffolk there's Hangar 111 : http://www.hangar111.com/lotus/ There are plenty of other well respected businesses just a little further afield should you want to travel.

#5 Alastair

Alastair

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 06:23 PM

Downside to a supercharger....  After 4 weeks it doesn't feel fast enough, the car feels std at stg2...  i always feel like i need more power!

It also makes all the other weaker parts of the car show up ...  

if you car hasnt already then you could easily be looking at changing / refurbing

Steering rack

suspension bushes / shocks / wishbone paint

engine mounts

gear cables

exhaust

etc etc....  

Welcome to the club!

Edited by Alastair, 13 September 2017 - 06:23 PM.

#6 Madmitch

Madmitch

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:53 PM

You are as old as you think you feel - to misquote slightly.  I am 73 and still massively enjoying my VX, in fact have been out this afternoon in it to see friends, 90 minutes each way, top off, sun shining, lovely.  Having to be careful though as I only got my licence back in March after four months suspension + €382 fine + four points, for speeding in the VX of course.  Just don't let the gut get out of control and you will be fine!! 

#7 Mike X

Mike X

• Pip
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:Cars , bikes , watches , gardening , going fast

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:01 PM

Nice one Mitch , I am 53 with a recently out of control gut , must admit the seats have suddenly got a bit snug but I , as well as my VX , am a work in progress 😁

#8 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:39 AM

We need to start the VX 50+ club.  It may occur automatically as the youngsters appear to prefer that bloody useless facebook.

As for 'moving on', I have a good Porsche.  Hasn't been out of the garage since February while the VX does 10K a year.  Says it all.

Many of us can afford something more expensive but know it won't be as fun and engaging as the VX.  Some move on as they need the seats (the Evora crew :P), some as they can't resist new and shiny (the Exige crew) and some as their VX ceases to be (the less said the better crew :lol:).

Never let agility stand in the way!

#9 W123

W123

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:28 AM

Thanks for this useful info TheRealVXed, Sdf1965, rob999, Alastair, Madmitch, Mike X & Pidgeon. Particularly Madmitch, you're an inspiration to me and probably others on here. I'd love to have been a fly on the wall when the magistrate was handing out your points. I don't know if it's the same in France but in the UK over 70 they start to look at getting a doctor to certify you are still safe enough to drive every year. 

Rob999, I'm Southend so Gallows corner isn't too far from me. Is RMS good for all elements - excluding supercharger?

Just generally regarding Porsches, I had a  996, I loved the look but just didn't enjoy driving it - a mixture of fear that something expensive might break plus I couldn't get over that feeling that the back was going to let go suddenly and irretrievably. Don't get me wrong, fantastic car for the money (£9.5K!) but just not for me. It also attracted some negativity but that's not the car's fault but  me needing to strengthen my 'not giving a crap' muscles. 

SDF1965 Completely agree, I'll always ensure the rest of the car is up to any power increase and spend money on worn suspension and things before improvements. 

My shortlist for mad cars was the VX, always loved the shape; citroen 2cv with Peter Sparrow conversion or mg midget with K series. All would have cost about the same in money &/or time spent converting. but the VX would be ready from day 1. 

My daily is a poverty spec Merc W123 which will eventually be replaced by a poverty spec Merc W114 once it's got a more modern engine. 

Are there any meets in the Essex/East London area?

Thanks again

#10 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,795 posts
  • Interests:Footy, Tennis, Fire.

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:45 AM

RMS will be familiar with the SC's I'm sure, as it's not that different to any of the stock Lotus SC cars. I might add that I've never used them but heard good things in the lotus circles and there are a few owners on here that have taken their VX's there. Agree with Robin; once upon a time CS would have been the place to go. Now I'd use Joe/Lee/Vocky for a conversion as they are closest to you and much cheaper.

#11 pete-r

pete-r

I never drive faster than I can see

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:12 AM

Paulus and Dab of oppo have replaced their light switches. Was on my plan this year but my alternator failure took my time.

Number plate tape will hold the panels without noise, but you can add deadening if needed make sure its car stuff (not super flammable!)

I have replaced my panel with 3mm carbon fibre and screws it into place. It looks wonky in this pic for some reason but it's not lol.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users