Cds Wishbones

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 driftfaktor

driftfaktor

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 11:57 AM

Long story short, some company from italy ruined my car while doing some body work and a complete repaint (which is also done shitty). So i'm looking for new wishbones. While looking for alternatives i stumbled over the CDS ones. Sadly i didn't find any topic about those. Is there a differerence except of the price from eliseparts (Around 1800£) to elisespares (1100£)? Are they any better than the regular ones? How will the fit? Best regards from switzerland Florian

#2 Tony H

Tony H

Lotus on Crack

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts
  • Interests:Serbian turbo-folk

Posted 15 September 2017 - 12:54 PM

Sorry to not help, but can we have the long story of how body work has ended up needing new wishbones please?

#3 turbo boy

turbo boy

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • Interests:Cars, fitness, fishing, sports

Posted 15 September 2017 - 02:02 PM

I asked this question to Elise parts a while back and was told that the CDS ones were made from a superior alloy that is stronger and lighter. You will also need to consider what bushes to replace with as they do not come included. The OEM bushes are considered superior but are a lot more expensive. Hope this helps? Jon

#4 driftfaktor

driftfaktor

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 02:22 PM

I asked this question to Elise parts a while back and was told that the CDS ones were made from a superior alloy that is stronger and lighter. You will also need to consider what bushes to replace with as they do not come included. The OEM bushes are considered superior but are a lot more expensive. Hope this helps? Jon

The next question would have been the right bushes, i would go for the nitron ones if i get some postive feedback from them. What makes me curious is the price difference between ep and es? its huge!

Sorry to not help, but can we have the long story of how body work has ended up needing new wishbones please?

I will post the whole story some other day :-) with all my expierence with that company

#5 Spitfire Engineering

Spitfire Engineering

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:45 PM

They actually told you that a particular steel was lighter?

:)

#6 turbo boy

turbo boy

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • Interests:Cars, fitness, fishing, sports

Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:31 PM

Maybe it was just stronger and thinking about it, I think they said that the protective surface was of a higher quality as well?

#7 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:09 PM

Isn't CDS steel stronger therefore you can use thinner walled tubing which results in a lighter finished product?

#8 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:21 PM

Nitron also used to make wishbones if that widens your selection...

#9 2-20

2-20

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:42 PM

Isn't CDS steel stronger therefore you can use thinner walled tubing which results in a lighter finished product?

This is my understanding

#10 Crabash

Crabash

Scared

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:30 PM

If you buy the EP ones, before you fit them strip them and get them plated ot a better quality powder coating, or something. Mine looked crap after 2 years.

#11 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 11:47 PM

CDS = cold drawn steel It's not really anything fancy. Getting anything properly plated before playing is good advice chinky chinky

#12 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 16 September 2017 - 07:33 AM

Maybe it was just stronger and thinking about it, I think they said that the protective surface was of a higher quality as well?

Making them stronger isn't necessary. The OEM ones are strong enough. If you make them "stronger" then they can't sacrificially bend as much if/when you have an impact. CDS is deliberatly chosen for it's malleability, if you over strengthen the wishbone all that will happen is that your mounting hard-points will be damaged more easily in an impact (thus more likely to write your car off) and more transfer of energy into the chassis (which is bad for the occupants).

Edited by Nev, 16 September 2017 - 07:36 AM.

#13 driftfaktor

driftfaktor

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 08:18 AM

So i guess i'll go for the CDS Wishbones with the nitron inner bearing kit.

Why is there a huge price difference between Eliseparts and Elise-spares? I guess its the same product?

#14 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 08:22 AM

Why is there a huge price difference between Eliseparts and Elise-spares? I guess its the same product?

Profit margins and labour cost differences I would imagine!  

#15 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 10:05 AM

Elise spares have previously taken a cut and shut VX220 and stated they will scrap it, only to sit on it and attempt to sell on when interest had died down. For that reason alone I won't buy from them and frankly don't trust the descriptions of anything they are selling. How will you know it's cold drawn steel? 

Details of mentioned ca r here: http://www.vx220.org...uestions/page-7

#16 2-20

2-20

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 09:52 PM

As per their description, Elise spares wishbones use same tube thickness (2mm) as OEM. So they cannot be lighter, just stronger (and less "sacrificial")

#17 manus

manus

• PipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 04:59 PM

Plans can make them lighter with integrated toe-link, as on the Spexige. Had those slightly adjusted to fit Porsche-air-scoops at the rears.

#18 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 06:04 PM

@ Driftfactor; Why not simply re-plate your original wishbones?

As I remember correctly, you only want to replace them because they look rubbish after that company left your car bottom covered in salt...  :unsure:

#19 driftfaktor

driftfaktor

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:32 AM

@ Driftfactor; Why not simply re-plate your original wishbones? As I remember correctly, you only want to replace them because they look rubbish after that company left your car bottom covered in salt...  :unsure:

I already had them replated and i dont want the risk that they will break because of hydrogen embrittlement. so i rather go for new ones instead.

#20 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:10 AM

Don't think you'll add much risk if done correctly, as hydrogen embrittlement is mostly a problem in high strength steels.

Or you can do a powdercoat option. (= same as the CDS ones seem to have)

Edited by Exmantaa, 18 September 2017 - 07:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users