• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Firthy

Firthy

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 08:36 AM

Hi All, Couple of vids from my first proper track day after supercharging my car. Technically it's my second trackday, but because the first track day at Snetterton was cut short by the fuel pump breaking and the fact that the car didn't run right up to the point it died either. (I believe the car was to lean as it kept getting hot) Donnington was the first time I could concentrate on driving rather than worrying about the mechanical aspects. That said the flexi on the exhaust did break melting the gear cables so it wasn't easy changing gear! Massive thank you to Batman and fessasus for all their help in the conversion, and BOT for helping me with all the many issues I've had getting it to this point :) Firthy

Edited by Firthy, 17 September 2017 - 08:41 AM.

#2 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,727 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 08:46 AM

Sounds very quiet for a sc car Looks like it's running well

#3 Firthy

Firthy

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 09:02 AM

Sounds very quiet for a sc car Looks like it's running well

Thanks for your help to! :) yeah it's the OEM air box it very quiet on the induction side. The straight through 2.5 tullet was blowing at the flexi so there seemed to be less drone than usual as well :)

#4 james_ly

james_ly

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 09:53 AM

Car looks well sorted, definitely nicer with less charger noise IMO.

#5 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 10:02 AM

The only thing that puts me off an SC is that dreadful whine. This sounds loads better, is there any power restriction by keeping the standard airbox?

#6 Firthy

Firthy

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 10:52 AM

Don't think so :) There is another option as well that has recently come to light from the 2.0 saab turbo.

When the flexi isn't blowing its even quieter!

Its all quite tight in there but it fits. Catch tank seems to be working well, I drilled the head to open the PCV so hopefully its breathing properly!

https://photos.app.g...B8XyVjyHta1LHm2

Edited by Firthy, 19 September 2017 - 10:57 AM.

#7 Firthy

Firthy

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:14 AM

Car looks well sorted, definitely nicer with less charger noise IMO.

Thanks James I'm very pleased with it, there's absolutely Zero understeer and the balance is fantastic.

Apex speed isn't too tardy either so its working well.

Edited by Firthy, 19 September 2017 - 11:20 AM.

#8 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 10:07 PM

Thanks James I'm very pleased with it, there's absolutely Zero understeer and the balance is fantastic.   Apex speed isn't too tardy either so its working well.

Does look very nicely balanced. My new one (ex D-Dawg) doesn't feel like yours looks iykwim. Do you know what your geo settings are? My steering in particular feels very heavy to the point of ruining the feedback- I'm assuming it's caused by the setup. chinky chinky

#9 Firthy

Firthy

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 03:22 PM

Thanks James I'm very pleased with it, there's absolutely Zero understeer and the balance is fantastic.   Apex speed isn't too tardy either so its working well.

Does look very nicely balanced. My new one (ex D-Dawg) doesn't feel like yours looks iykwim. Do you know what your geo settings are? My steering in particular feels very heavy to the point of ruining the feedback- I'm assuming it's caused by the setup. chinky chinky

Hi Mate,

Unfortunately I have no idea what the Geo is as that's Jez's department. You'd have to speak to him as we've been playing around with it for years now and TBH I just leave him to it.

One thing I do know (as I spoke to him about it) is that everything Jez has done to my car is to optimize rotation and reduce understeer....  so that's Spring rate (large gap front to back), arb setting (full soft) camber (elise parts arms but no idea settings) all working together bla bla bla.

I have most of the go faster bits on it now and they definitely all need to work together to get the result that I wanted. Really pleased with it  :)

Edited by Firthy, 20 September 2017 - 03:30 PM.

#10 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 06:22 PM

Stop being tight foxy and get jez to do a geo for ya

he sets up mine perfectly :wub:

#11 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 10:33 PM

Thanks Firthy, thats no help at all 😂👍🏼 Joe, its just a pain to get the car down there!

#12 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 12:15 AM

it was already half way there a couple of weeks ago :lol:

#13 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 23 September 2017 - 05:45 PM

One thing I do know (as I spoke to him about it) is that everything Jez has done to my car is to optimize rotation and reduce understeer....  so that's Spring rate (large gap front to back), arb setting (full soft) camber (elise parts arms but no idea settings) all working together bla bla bla.

Shhhh, don't tell them all and let the secret out! Let them live under the illusion of > 600+ Lb spring rates (on a 300 Lb axle) and ultra hard ARBs will make them faster, that way you can overtake them on every bend. ;)

Edited by Nev, 23 September 2017 - 05:48 PM.

#14 james_ly

james_ly

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 12:03 PM

Heavy wheels? IIRC this car wasn't on the usual team dynamics?

#15 Firthy

Firthy

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:43 PM

Whats the setup at the moment?

#16 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 11:11 PM

it was already half way there a couple of weeks ago :lol:

Twice! :lol:

#17 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 11:13 PM

Dunno! MBR did it apparently.

#18 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 11:16 PM

Heavy wheels? IIRC this car wasn't on the usual team dynamics?

Speedline-a-likes. Having had full fat speedlines on a previous VX Im fairly sure that this isnt the (main) issue.

#19 Firthy

Firthy

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 08:28 AM

Dunno! MBR did it apparently.

Righto, must get a track day organised soon.

One thing I know for sure having tried a few setups on my car and others is that a happy medium for track work / road duties is around 425 / 550. This is a great all round setup but I wanted faster apex speed so sacrificed the road / track setup for track work.

This means that you need high spring rate in the rear to keep the rear of the car flat. So that's a 650+ spring depending on the damper IMO

For the front there seem to be two approaches, I hate understeer and like to get the car rotated early before the apex therefore I have a large spring gap between front and rear and run the arb on soft so that the front of the car can roll and generate front grip. The key here is to ensure the front doesn't fall over (too little spring rate) but rolls enough to generate grip. I'm sure dampers etc all play a large part in this as well (I have randy spec Nitron).

The only down side for some (and as you know from following me) is that there isn't much push so you need to be comfortable with oversteer :)

Edited by Firthy, 26 September 2017 - 08:37 AM.

#20 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 03:42 PM

Righto, must get a track day organised soon.

One thing I know for sure having tried a few setups on my car and others is that a happy medium for track work / road duties is around 425 / 550. This is a great all round setup but I wanted faster apex speed so sacrificed the road / track setup for track work.

This means that you need high spring rate in the rear to keep the rear of the car flat. So that's a 650+ spring depending on the damper IMO

For the front there seem to be two approaches, I hate understeer and like to get the car rotated early before the apex therefore I have a large spring gap between front and rear and run the arb on soft so that the front of the car can roll and generate front grip. The key here is to ensure the front doesn't fall over (too little spring rate) but rolls enough to generate grip. I'm sure dampers etc all play a large part in this as well (I have randy spec Nitron).

The only down side for some (and as you know from following me) is that there isn't much push so you need to be comfortable with oversteer :)

Donington with LoT on Monday rallly 

I ought to look through all the paperwork, there's probably some info in there. I prefer a balanced car and rarely have the car out of shape - ultimate would be to have a setup which allows a 4-wheel drift. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users