Photo

Best Tubby Coilover Kit Mainly For The Road.

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 coople

coople

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • Interests:F1, Diving and cycling.

Posted 18 September 2017 - 09:14 PM

Hi everyone. Well my standard read dampers have leaked out making mid corner bumps....interesting/scary.. I want to get some coilovers so that I can lower the car slightly. The plan will be coilovers, hub bolts, toe links and then get a geo done. I have not tracked this vx yet but hopefully I will get some in next year. As I will be mostly using it on the road I don't want the ride to be too hard and crashy. I know this is a poisoned chalice of a question but what do people recommend? I am thinking Nitron street series. Any other thoughts? Thanks Steve

#2 turbo boy

turbo boy

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • Interests:Cars, fitness, fishing, sports

Posted 19 September 2017 - 04:59 AM

Hi Steve, There seems to be a few choices: 1. Standard Bilsteins 2. Exige Bilsteins 3. Nitron Streets 4. Gaz golds 5. Quantams I have done a lot of research on this and based on the good feedback from friends on here, I'm going to swap my Exige dampers for some Nitron Streets next year 👍

#3 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 07:32 AM

I'd have Bilstein refurbish your standard units.  I found the VXR Bilsteins (possibly Exige equivalent) too harsh for day to day use.  If I was looking at Nitron Street, I'd want to know the spring rates weren't that far enhanced from the original.

Edited by Pidgeon, 19 September 2017 - 07:32 AM.

#4 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:45 AM

3. Nitron Streets 4. Gaz golds 5. Quantams

As the OP wants to lower the car, that counts out Exige and Standard Billies

#5 Samwise

Samwise

• PipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Interests:Track Days, Gaming, Building computers, Snowboarding! & Music

Posted 19 September 2017 - 09:08 AM

3. Nitron Streets
4. Gaz golds
5. Quantams

As the OP wants to lower the car, that counts out Exige and Standard Billies

If you can afford to (And for something holding the wheels on the car you really should do) there are only 2 real options out of the ones advised above.

I have a set of Nitrons for track driving but they have remarkebly good damping for the road too, if they had softer spring rates i'd go as far to say that for a VX they would be quite comfortable.

#6 coople

coople

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 10:17 AM

Looking like Nitron street series is the preferred option then so far.

#7 james_ly

james_ly

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:19 PM

I had street series and they were good, however for road use I'd still choose Bilsteins. Maybe with front anti roll bar to sharpen up?

#8 TFD

TFD

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 07:47 PM

Not a tubby (well... sort off) but NSS + 1" ARB here for road use. More comfy then the old bilsteins yet more planted and tight feeling. On 8 clicks from soft front, 6 from rear.

#9 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 08:32 PM

I had street series and they were good, however for road use I'd still choose Bilsteins. Maybe with front anti roll bar to sharpen up?

I use Bilsteins with stiff front and rear ARB's - very planted and resistant to roll, but still good on our crap roads..

The car isn't lower however, but OEM-ish ride height (good for roads!)

Edited by Rosssco, 20 September 2017 - 08:32 PM.

#10 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 20 September 2017 - 09:40 PM

The plan will be coilovers, hub bolts, toe links and then get a geo done.  

Hub bolts won't need replacing.  Perhaps you mean hub carrier bolts?  

#11 coople

coople

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 10:21 PM

Hub carrier yes exactly.

#12 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:04 AM

The cheapest option is to get your OEM Bilstiens refurbished at the factory. They will be like new when they come back and your car will handle vastly better, remember Lotus do know a thing or two about how to make a car handle, they chose those expensive OEM Bilstiens for a good reason. :)

Lowering the car usually leads to worse handling characteristics (unless you really know what you are doing), if you do so, be aware that you'll likely be making it a slower car...

I once test drove a VX220 with "fresh" OEM suspension that hadn't been fiddled with, it was a very planted car.

Edited by Nev, 21 September 2017 - 09:07 AM.

#13 Code Monkey

Code Monkey

forum whore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:01 AM

Refurb the standard kit; them Lotus boys is clever with suspension things.

Just had my VXR springs and dampers redone difference was amazing so much more fun to drive.

#14 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 12:23 PM

The cheapest option is to get your OEM Bilstiens refurbished at the factory. They will be like new when they come back and your car will handle vastly better, remember Lotus do know a thing or two about how to make a car handle, they chose those expensive OEM Bilstiens for a good reason. :)

Lowering the car usually leads to worse handling characteristics (unless you really know what you are doing), if you do so, be aware that you'll likely be making it a slower car...

I once test drove a VX220 with "fresh" OEM suspension that hadn't been fiddled with, it was a very planted car.

they wont be like brand new, they will look exactly the same as when you sent them in, the only thing they do is the internal gubbins.. 

we send them off for refurb all the time and i have never had a set back which look any different to how they went in.

#15 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 12:25 PM

i would suggest, based on my experiences that Gaz Monotubes are worth a look see.. 

yep, they perform very well on track, but they also perform excellent on the road too. 

#16 coople

coople

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 12:37 PM

I have now fitted the Nitron NTR 46mm 1 way dampers and I have to say first experience with them is very positive.  rallly

#17 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 05:11 PM

they wont be like brand new, they will look exactly the same as when you sent them in, the only thing they do is the internal gubbins.. 

we send them off for refurb all the time and i have never had a set back which look any different to how they went in.

Where did i say they would LOOK like new? I said they'd BE like new (ie functionally).  

#18 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 08:56 PM

I have now fitted the Nitron NTR 46mm 1 way dampers and I have to say first experience with them is very positive.  rallly

So after all that, you didnt go with the best option :lol:

#19 turbo boy

turbo boy

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • Interests:Cars, fitness, fishing, sports

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:10 PM

I thought NTR were a bit compromised for the road and more track biased?

#20 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 06:35 PM

I thought NTR were a bit compromised for the road and more track biased?

They are, the Street Series are, er, predictably better on the road. Not to say you can't use NTR's acceptably, especially if you're just an occasional user.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users