6 replies to this topic

#1 turbo2015

turbo2015

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 06:35 PM

Hi 

my old man  is in the process of building a new extension. structure is up including roof , timer floor is in....floor is constructed with joists and 18mm ply ontop, when i lifted the floor plyboard , noticed that there is no concrete or crushed concrete on the ground. ie the soil is exposed.

- is it ok to leave it as is...... if so happy to leave it as is to save £££, the builder was paid to build the structure and i was going to finish off the inside. 

- next question building control has been onsite, how would they of signed it off. is it normal to have the soil exposed. whats the quick fix if it shouldnt be like this?

Thanks All

#2 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,275 posts
  • Interests:Plane spotting

Posted 21 September 2017 - 07:19 PM

https://www.gov.uk/g...F_AD_C_2013.pdf

Paragraph 4.14

#3 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 24 September 2017 - 01:26 PM

Hi    my old man  is in the process of building a new extension. structure is up including roof , timer floor is in....floor is constructed with joists and 18mm ply ontop, when i lifted the floor plyboard , noticed that there is no concrete or crushed concrete on the ground. ie the soil is exposed.     - is it ok to leave it as is...... if so happy to leave it as is to save £££, the builder was paid to build the structure and i was going to finish off the inside.    - next question building control has been onsite, how would they of signed it off. is it normal to have the soil exposed. whats the quick fix if it shouldnt be like this?   Thanks All

Bearing mind the number of questions you are asking, I'd try and be a bit more clued up about your building work. Surely your dad has a written spec/outline of what the builder will be doing? A bare earth floor under joists + floorboards is not up to modern regs for sure. You will get air flushing through the gaps between the boards (via the breathing vents (that should be) in the upper foundations. In strong winds this will noticable in the room, not to mention a possible earthy smell and all the loss of heating. I had a 115 year old Victorian property once that had bare earth floor and at times there was an earthy smell in some of the ground floor.

Edited by Nev, 24 September 2017 - 01:48 PM.

#4 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 09:25 AM

and most importantly the damp. 

when we did the big extension on my dads house there was foundations that went in for the brickwork were about 4ft deep and full of concrete, once the brickwork was in the room floors were covered in concrete iirc. (i was 6 at the time) if i ever have to go under the floorboards now its solid ground and its defiantly not just earth/mud etc. 

#5 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 09:54 AM

In my experience Building control visits can vary vastly. Something that wasn't picked up in one visit might be a major thing on a second. If you have questions, speak to the BC officer. You could always arrange a visit if you need something checking. It's probably best to get it bottomed out now than to find out later and have to rip the whole thing down to correct.

#6 g1977

g1977

• PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 01:40 PM

I built an exention in 2015 and I opted for a suspended timber floor. As part of the building specification there had to be a membrane and then concrete oversite (thin layer). Me personally, I would check it now rather than pushing ahead and realising the fault later. I thought this sort of thing was mandatory and strange that building control didn't pull up on it as they are there to protect you.

#7 Jetpilot

Jetpilot

• PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 12:08 PM

I would have thought you're structural plans or building reg plans would have specified the sub floor?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users