New Car Advice Please

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Gibbo1974

Gibbo1974

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 09:38 AM

what are your thoughts, experiences with these. I am pretty sold on the R8 to be honest but would love some input from people here...   Audi R8 V8 Manual Nissan Skyline GTR Aston Martin V8 Vantage Manual

#2 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:15 AM

As it's dotorg, I'll give you the benefit of my opinion based upon nothing more than conjecture :lol:

R8, bloated chassis with nice engine.  Any chance of entertainment deadened by the electric PAS and 4WD.  Or, as I read recently 'Nasty council turd. Lottery winners / footballers / rappers/ 'reality stars' and other undesirables , roll up, your car is here.

GTR.  Technical tour de force which permits complete ejits to lap circuits very fast.  Soulless vehicle, more an appliance than a conveyance.  Frighteningly expensive to maintain.

AMV8.  Wonderful British GT.  Waft to the riviera in comfort.  Avoid the mountain roads when the car's inability to overcome its own weight becomes rather obvious.

#3 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:21 AM

Only ever driven a V8 vantage on circuit and while the engine sounds stunning it's not particularly quick and as Pidgeon has pointed out struggles hugely in the corners due to it's weight. A nice GT car but that's where is ends.

I've been out in a GTR and remember thinking that is felt huge but very fast.

What do you want the new car for? Touring, Track, Posing?

#4 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,795 posts
  • Interests:Footy, Tennis, Fire.

Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:35 AM

Nice for sale ad 😄 Agree on the GTR, immensely quick, hides the weight pretty well. But all three will lead to fairly big bills.

#5 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,177 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:36 AM

Nice for sale ad 😄

Where? :rolleyes: :lol:

#6 dstarz7

dstarz7

• Pip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:Plastic cars

Posted 04 October 2017 - 11:10 AM

Uncle owned both R8 V8 Manual & a GTR - The one he enjoyed the most was the R8. He always said the GTR was quick, but that was about it. Didn't ever 'love' it.  

Been out as passenger in his R8 and absolutely loved it.

But the looks of the AMV V8 does make my knees go weak. 

#7 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,507 posts
  • Interests:"Keep it standard"
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 04 October 2017 - 03:02 PM

Not sure why Jaguar F-type is not on the list..  :poke:

#8 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• 12,795 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 03:05 PM

Crappy old mans car thats why. Will age worse than Ken :lol:

#9 Madmitch

Madmitch

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 03:36 PM

Mate had an R8 V8, said it was very nice, very practical but a bit boring, now has a McLaren MP4-12C.

Nissan is a technical marvel but has a reputation for very cheap interior trim, carpets that wear through in no time etc.

Aston Martin just too big and heavy but more 'presence' than the others, beautiful interior trim, more GT than GTR.

#10 dstarz7

dstarz7

• Pip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:Plastic cars

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:03 PM

My dad has a Jaguar F-Type V8 S. Mega car, sounds bonkers with the roof down. Had a few issues with the soft top though on several occasions. 

#11 pete-r

pete-r

I never drive faster than I can see

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:18 PM

As already asked I think you need to clarify what you want from the car and will use it for. You've got a 2 seater, 4 seater, GT, budget supecar etc For the track I wouldn't fancy any of them for feel, but the gtr will be monstrous against the stopwatch. If it's a long legged handsome tourer I'd put the M6 in the mix too, or go older and consider a conti gt. What's an early Gallardo cost these days? To be honest though if it were my money I'd get a manual M4 coupe

#12 Gibbo1974

Gibbo1974

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:24 PM

Hi all Some great replies and some laughs too. Love the footballer lottery winner quote. My quandry was this, I had an XJR and loved the luxury interior and the power from the S/C V8 but it weighed about 16 tonnes and you really felt that in the twisties so I built up the courage to sell it and go for a superlight car as I had read all the quotes from Colin Chapman about adding lightness etc. So I went for yhe VXT as it had that slightly rare element to it and I loved that too. Now I am missing the luxury so I set about trying to nail down a car that made at least some effort to combine the two cars and I came up with the R8. Luxury, comfort, big V8 power but lighter than the jag with the engine in the same place as the VX.

#13 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:28 PM

i drove the v8 r8 and was quite disapointed by it. But it was lovely walking up to it and a very nice place to be inside. But dont think i would buy one.

GTR would be most practical i guess.

never been or driven a aston so that would be my first test drive i reckon

#14 ChrisS1

ChrisS1

Club OEM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,360 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:33 PM

Evora?

#15 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:36 PM

whats the running cost of an evora? can you fit a tow bar to it :lol:

would love one as a daily

#16 ChrisS1

ChrisS1

Club OEM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,360 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:39 PM

:lol:

#17 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 07:07 PM

I've owned a Vantage V8 and driven R8s but no experience with the Datsun. The Vantage looks fantastic and is a fantastic place to sit however if it's not a 4.7 they are disappointingly slow. The build quality is attrocious and the clutch is very heavy. Reverse gear is ridiculous, anything more than a gentle slope and you have to rev the tits off it and it starts to burn. Wherever you park it people will want to talk and if that's your thing then great. V8 R8s are really nothing special. Apart from looks, which I don't think are great with that weird panel thing, they are just an expensive RS4. Not sure what your budget is and whether you want a convertible but what about an RS5? What about an F type? The only people who think they are old man's cars are those who haven't driven one. Aluminium chassis simar to Lotus, great interiors if you spec it up, fantastic engine and of course there's the noise.

Edited by fiveoclock, 04 October 2017 - 07:08 PM.

#18 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,827 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 04 October 2017 - 07:21 PM

Ultima?

#19 pete-r

pete-r

I never drive faster than I can see

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 07:26 PM

Having been out in 5oc's f type on track it's really capable and doesn't feel heavy, just heavier than the vx. The noise is pure theatre and I could see me enjoying that going to the shops as well as on a weekend blast. What's the manual version like?

#20 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• 12,795 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 08:25 PM

But I love rolling out the cliches Mark ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users