• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Mat Jackson

Mat Jackson

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 05:52 PM

Is there a decent guide anyway for a NA gearbox swap? (I've searched...). And, can it be done with the clam on? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 pete-r

pete-r

I never drive faster than I can see

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 06:04 PM

You can do it with the clam on easy with a lift or pit, and you can do it just about on wheelramps. With jacks or axle stands you will struggle to get the unit out from under the car.

#3 172Cup

172Cup

• Pip
  • 159 posts
  • Interests:Cars

Posted 14 October 2017 - 06:22 PM

Drop Glenn Wood a message on the Facebook group, he did his yesterday by the looks of things so could give you some helpful info.

#4 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 06:28 PM

horrid job :beat:

It can be done with the clam in place, but it makes it even harder. Much easier with the clam off.

Remove NSR suspension and driveshaft, remove downpipe or split the downpipe from the backbox, lower gearbox down so it clears the chassis and then it slides off. I missed a few bits from that :lol:

#5 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 14 October 2017 - 06:51 PM

Its pretty easy with 2 people fecking heroic doing it on your own!

#6 Rippz

Rippz

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 05:10 PM

Been doing this the last week. On axles stands defo a pita to do but doable with clam on. One man band using jacks

#7 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 09:30 PM

You can do it on stands from underneath easy enough, just get it as high as you can. Done it 3 times. Twice in the paddock at Donington and once in the pissing rain at midnight in the paddock at Brands :D 

#8 Rippz

Rippz

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:51 AM

Wow. Dedicated guy. You did it in the pissing rain! How long did that take? I took as least bolts out as possible not wanting to create other problems or disturb anything, left the upper wishbone in and disconnected the driveshaft with the hub and everything attached as one unit. Also took that n/s/r front suspension bracket off for easier access coming out. Did you remove the thermostat? As I was thinking when putting the box back in could create probs. So drained the coolant as well.

#9 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 12:25 PM

no need to touch the coolant system thumbsup

#10 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 12:45 PM

The last box on a turbo took about 3 hours to be ready to lower on my own. That with the tightest front and rear mount bolts I've ever come across. 

#11 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 12:46 PM

If you are doing it in situ, relocating the box onto the block is the hard bit.

#12 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 12:54 PM

Wow. Dedicated guy. You did it in the pissing rain! How long did that take? I took as least bolts out as possible not wanting to create other problems or disturb anything, left the upper wishbone in and disconnected the driveshaft with the hub and everything attached as one unit. Also took that n/s/r front suspension bracket off for easier access coming out. Did you remove the thermostat? As I was thinking when putting the box back in could create probs. So drained the coolant as well.

The guys from BoT did most of it. Diff went towards the end of one race and we were racing the next day and had a spare box. It was raining and it was 10pm. We had a bit of cover but the water was running down the hill in the paddock like a river. Finished about 1am. Sutol was there if i remember correctly.

Driveshafts out in ten mins each side, just undo the toe link and brake line clamp and hinge the hubs forwards. Dont need to disturb the coolant. Hardest part is maneuvering it to get it to drop out downwards. Also I dont have a boot nor the centre divider between boot and engine compartment holes so access is a bit easier from the top.

#13 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 03:52 PM

Yea he was, he told me all about it, massive thumbs up and respect to Jez.. its amazing what you can do when you dont have a choice.. i remember laying kn my back in the snow putting the engine in cliffies TA car.. its all part of the fun tho, i look back at that with find memories :)

#14 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 03:55 PM

If you are doing it in situ, relocating the box onto the block is the hard bit.

especially if doing the swap on your own :ffs:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users