• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 UH Project VX220

UH Project VX220

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 12:46 PM

Hi All,

My name is Alex - I'm currently studying Automotive Engineering With Motorsport at the University of Hertfordshire in Hatfield.

Last year I spotted three VX220's in our university car park and did a bit of digging - they'd been sat for nearly five years without turning a wheel! This year, I've started a new project at the university to convert one of them into an endurance racing car to compete in the 750MC Club Enduro (so two hour races, one three hour race at Anglesey and a foray across to Spa) in 2018. I've spoken to a couple of people about these cars (Neville has been a great help to get the project going, and DS racing have helped too) so have a basic idea of their shortcomings but any tips will be massively helpful!

There are fifteen of us working on the car, all running our own projects that make up dissertations so it should be a competitive car by the end of the project! We've got to get as close to 300bhp/tonne as possible, but I'm also aware that braking, cooling and fuel capacity are just some of the things that we'll struggle with.

We've got a pretty slim build budget from the Uni too, so it's up to us to gather as much sponsorship as possible. So we've pulled in a few but I'm shamelessly going to suggest that if anyone here is interested in helping us out I'm more than happy to talk about the project at length!

I will start a build thread soon too - there are some interesting ideas and concepts going into this car, so I'm sure we'll need some pointers from those with VX experience...

We've also got a Facebook Page, UH Project VX220, and an Instagram Page, @uhvx220, so give us a follow to see how we're getting on!

I guess that's all for now - it's really a hello and a short intro to the project plan, I'm very excited to get it going!

Cheers,

Alex.

UH Project VX220.

#2 james_ly

james_ly

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 12:56 PM

Cool. If you could make youtube videos too that would get a lot of interest. I can't get my head around how a student could fund this though :)

#3 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 27 October 2017 - 12:57 PM

what powertrain?

#4 UH Project VX220

UH Project VX220

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 01:00 PM

Cool. If you could make youtube videos too that would get a lot of interest. I can't get my head around how a student could fund this though :)

Luckily we're not funding it ourselves - the Engineering Department have given us £6k to build the car.

what powertrain?

We have one that is rocket powered and one that is powered by a forklift motor. These are being stripped for parts and scrapped (they're pre production models so the Uni can't sell them), but the car we're building is a 2 litre turbo (ex Club MSV ARDS test car)

#5 Johnboyhgt

Johnboyhgt

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts
  • Interests:Girls, Tracks, Mods

Posted 27 October 2017 - 01:39 PM

I will be following this with interest.

I teach Motor Vehicle for York College, though more main stream maintenance and repair than engineering.

Good luck with your project and keep the updates coming.

#6 Andrew aka Stuwy

Andrew aka Stuwy

Made In England

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts
  • Interests:most things are intersting

Posted 27 October 2017 - 01:54 PM

whats happening with the other 2?

#7 UH Project VX220

UH Project VX220

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 01:58 PM

Unfortunately as they're pre production models I'm not too sure - everything is stamped "Prototype" on the cars so not a lot is usable!

#8 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 02:08 PM

You have our interest!

We've got a pretty slim build budget from the Uni too, so it's up to us to gather as much sponsorship as possible. So we've pulled in a few but I'm shamelessly going to suggest that if anyone here is interested in helping us out I'm more than happy to talk about the project at length!

Just be aware that many of the parts you're stripping off the car may have substantial value. Look after them and don't throw them out - you could easily double your budget by selling bits off. Lights are worth £££ and even things like wheel arch liners and rear 'spats' might seem like junk to you but are worth £££s.

#9 quimbles

quimbles

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 02:37 PM

screw, turbo and sc ..... a rocket powered vx 

#10 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 05:27 PM

Well, if its an endurance car.. whatever powertrain you use it must be reliable.. a 250bhp sc would get my vote.

#11 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 27 October 2017 - 05:35 PM

Nice one Alex.

For the 2 hour and 3 hours races what are the regs on fueling? Is there 1 (or more) compulsory fuel stops, or are you going to need a massive tank to last the entire race?

A reliable 300 hp/ton is easily achieved from the Z20LET, doubly so with the expertise that is going into your build. :)

Looking fwd to seeing some unique and insightful designs, especially your aero.

#12 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,842 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 27 October 2017 - 06:55 PM

Alex,

Well done for this - there is a wealth of knowledge on this site and possibly £. Keep in touch with your aims and progress and I'm sure you will get much support here.

Cheers!

#13 Dan r

Dan r

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 07:08 PM

This sounds great, what a fantastic opportunity for you all.

#14 Rusty789

Rusty789

Ginger Ninja

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 06:23 AM

Ask Jacob, he's done pretty well! :D

#15 UH Project VX220

UH Project VX220

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 06:29 PM

You have our interest!

Just be aware that many of the parts you're stripping off the car may have substantial value. Look after them and don't throw them out - you could easily double your budget by selling bits off. Lights are worth £££ and even things like wheel arch liners and rear 'spats' might seem like junk to you but are worth £££s.

The Uni are a bit funny on selling stuff - we will definitely try to shift on as much as possible that we don't need. I have three sets of suspension, three sets of clams and three sets of wheels to name but a few parts!

Obviously cash sponsorship is amazing, but product in kind is just as useful!! ;)

screw, turbo and sc ..... a rocket powered vx 

Unfortunately a bit crap - I think it only did 65 mph or so!

Nice one Alex.

For the 2 hour and 3 hours races what are the regs on fueling? Is there 1 (or more) compulsory fuel stops, or are you going to need a massive tank to last the entire race?

A reliable 300 hp/ton is easily achieved from the Z20LET, doubly so with the expertise that is going into your build. :)

Looking fwd to seeing some unique and insightful designs, especially your aero.

Cheers Nev - thanks for your help so far!

The two hour race has one mandated pit stop (minimum stop time of three mins) and the three hour race has two stops. With this in mind a 60L tank should do the job nicely - I see you can buy them, but where would be the fun in that?!

The guys doing aero have got properly excited about it - they've got plans for vortices on the edge of the splitter to change the underfloor pressures and all sorts of weird bits and pieces so it should be quite a sight!

Alex,

Well done for this - there is a wealth of knowledge on this site and possibly £. Keep in touch with your aims and progress and I'm sure you will get much support here.

Cheers!

Cheers - I will stick up what I can remember to do so!!

This sounds great, what a fantastic opportunity for you all.

Thanks Dan, it's great we have the chance to get some real motorsport experience!

#16 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 07:02 PM

You have our interest!

and sills...

#17 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 07:16 PM

:finger:

#18 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 07:17 PM

:D

#19 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,842 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 29 October 2017 - 07:38 PM

Quote: The guys doing aero have got properly excited about it - they've got plans for vortices on the edge of the splitter to change the underfloor pressures and all sorts of weird bits and pieces so it should be quite a sight!

This will be of great interest - are you doing any physical testing?

#20 UH Project VX220

UH Project VX220

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 07:56 PM

Quote: The guys doing aero have got properly excited about it - they've got plans for vortices on the edge of the splitter to change the underfloor pressures and all sorts of weird bits and pieces so it should be quite a sight!

This will be of great interest - are you doing any physical testing?

Mainly all through CFD, however I should like to think we'll get some models printed up to use in our scale wind tunnel to validate, unless we can beg/borrow/steal some proper wind tunnel time that is!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users