Just Bought Vx220 And Trying To Find Out About Vx220.org

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 richardm6994

richardm6994

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 02:05 PM

As some of you may have seen from my previous post, I have just bought a VX and am very keen to get involved in the VX 'scene'.

So here's my question to members on here........is VX220.org a club or just a forum that has it's own FB page?

I see you have a £12 a year subscription, which suggest it might be a club, but unless I'm looking in the wrong place, I cannot see a club committee, annual agm dates etc....

Either way, I'm not wanting to ruffle any feather, I'm just trying to get my head around what the £12 subscription goes towards apart from unlocking a few more areas on the forum?

Do the funds go into a club bank account and spending controlled by an elected committee or does it end up in someone's bank account to do with whatever they wish......

My background is that I'm chairman of the UK kitcar club and we have a similar yearly subscription (£15 per year), a forum that looks very much like this one (IP Board) and we have about 500 fully paid members.

We have a committee of 7 people that is re-elected each year by the club members at our agm. Our aim is ensure the club income from membership subscriptions and advertising is spent given back to the members benefits for being club members....- i.e. club magazine, annual club show weekend, event funding for smaller shows etc.....

The club also entitles members to insurance discounts as well as discounts at suppliers (such as eurocarparts etc...).

Most importantly, our accounts are independently audited every year so the members can see exactly where every penny has been spent.

Like I said at the start, I'm not wanting to ruffle any feathers or cause any offence to anyone. I would just be interested to know how this club / forum is run, and where the £12 ends up.

I know exactly how much it costs to run a forum like this because I sign the cheques for our club, so if that is the only thing the £12 goes towards, someone is making a lot money on the sidelines........but I'm sure there is a lot more to this that's not obvious (to me) from the outside looking in.  

#2 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 02:34 PM

As far as I'm aware it opens up the extra stuff within the forum and goes to the owner to fund server running costs.

Most insurances that accept it allow you a "club" discount still.

#3 richardm6994

richardm6994

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 02:44 PM

Some bills for our club forum are 6 monthly such as renewal for the forum software, licence renewal etc....and some are 2-yearly such as domain registrations.....however it all works out to cost our club £622 per year to run our forum.

So assuming this forum's running costs are similar to ours, it takes about 52 member subscriptions to pay for the forum for a year. 

Out of interest, does anyone know how many paid up members there is?

Please don't think I'm being funny, but I've been in a so called 'club' before where the member subs was simply paying for someone's holiday every year! 

Edited by richardm6994, 30 October 2017 - 02:45 PM.

#4 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 30 October 2017 - 03:47 PM

something like 230 ish members paid

click on search option and change show all option to premium member

http://www.vx220.org...ers&module=list

#5 Wolfstone

Wolfstone

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,984 posts
  • Interests:Northants Pedantic Crew global domination of the media.

Posted 30 October 2017 - 03:47 PM

There are about 200 premium (paid up) members.

#6 ChrisS1

ChrisS1

Club OEM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,360 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 04:05 PM

Sounds like a perfectly valid query. The way your kitcar club is run sounds very organized and fair.

#7 C8RKH

C8RKH

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 05:31 PM

If 200 members have paid that's £2400 a year (thank fook for calculators) and in that case i would be expecting pictures to be hosted too, and maybe some of the really useful "hot to threads" would not now be broken thanks to those crass idiots at photobucket who just whipped out the plug over night.

I have no problem paying the fee - but it is the only forum I use where I regularly get Trojan and Virus alerts too - as I find the how to and some of the historical posts really informative.  But, for £2.5k a year this should be fixed and the pictures too surely. But then, I would not know where to start myself on that.

#8 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,826 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 30 October 2017 - 06:44 PM

How else is Neil going to pay for his boat? Posted Image

#9 richardm6994

richardm6994

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 06:48 PM

So in summary, £12 subscription unlocks a couple more areas on the forum....and any excess money generated via subscriptions and advertising is not pumped back to members via club funded events etc? Lets just hope theres no one from the inland revenue on here lol....😜 It is a shame no one has ever taken this forward into being a proper club as the number of active members on here certainly justify it. Im not here to pick fault in any way, if you guys and girls are happy at that then who am I to say otherwise. Im glad I asked and looking forward to my vx adventures.

#10 Rusty789

Rusty789

Ginger Ninja

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 07:06 PM

It also allows you to post for sale ads (cars) so that's fair, chances are if someone is looking for a VX they will end up here...

At the end of the day its a quid a month... That's the least of your worries if you're looking at buying a VX  :rolleyes:

#11 richardm6994

richardm6994

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 07:16 PM

We have the same rules on our club forum...market place for members only along with other restrictions, but in reality Facebook pages now trump that kind of thing on both forums. The car I just bought came off Facebook. I know its just £12 a year, I suppose Im just really proud of what the kitcar club does for its members for only £15 a month that I was surprised thats all you get for money on here.... Here is our family weekend that weve managed to grow over the last 5 years for club members https://youtu.be/3w_KDDdDUng

#12 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 07:46 PM

Does anybody remember how much money thorny wanted to hand over the site many moons ago? Ie was that not the part of the drive to at some point break even for Neil?

#13 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 08:01 PM

You get no adverts too, forgot about that.

#14 ChrisS1

ChrisS1

Club OEM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,360 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 08:38 PM

And you can change your username

#15 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 08:50 PM

and no one has time for proper governance. 

This is a car forum to talk about shit. 

#16 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 09:01 PM

The Batman for mod

#17 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 09:09 PM

Fuck that^

#18 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 09:11 PM

I think you should volunteer to organise next years national meeting, Richard. Its a really rewarding job chinky chinky

#19 richardm6994

richardm6994

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 09:19 PM

I think you should volunteer to organise next years national meeting, Richard. Its a really rewarding job chinky chinky

Lol....Ive all on with the kitcar club to be taking on anything else.

#20 Harry Hornet

Harry Hornet

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,968 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 09:21 PM

..and dont forget the unofficial "unpaid" troll hunter..  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users