• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Andy_mr2sc

Andy_mr2sc

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 08:12 AM

Hi all.

As of yesterday I'm the proud new owner of a VXR 220 build number 29. 

Awesome car, well known on here as I understand it. Dyno graph shows 433hp which it certainly feels like. I stepped out of a 625hp M3 S/C into this and it feels quicker!

I'm new to this marque so no doubt I'll be posting numerous questions up in the coming weeks.

Regards,

Andy

#2 Ian59

Ian59

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • Interests:Motorsport, Music, Sci-Fi, Cars and driving,.

Posted 02 November 2017 - 08:57 AM

Great buy, welcome to the club.

#3 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 09:18 AM

You do know the history of this car don't you?

#4 Andy_mr2sc

Andy_mr2sc

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 09:46 AM

Some of it yes. I saw there was a chap on here who spent a lot of time, effort and cash on it and then crashed it on a track day. The previous owner bought it, got a new rear clam amongst other parts and had the car repaired to a very high standard. You'd never know now from an inspection or from driving. It was obvious straight away form meeting him he was a very particular, no expense spared type chap. For example the exhaust had a crease in it from the crash. Instead of getting that straightened or just that section replaced he had a complete new system made. 

#5 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 10:01 AM

Some of it yes. I saw there was a chap on here who spent a lot of time, effort and cash on it and then crashed it on a track day. The previous owner bought it, got a new rear clam amongst other parts and had the car repaired to a very high standard. You'd never know now from an inspection or from driving. It was obvious straight away form meeting him he was a very particular, no expense spared type chap. For example the exhaust had a crease in it from the crash. Instead of getting that straightened or just that section replaced he had a complete new system made. 

I know quite a lot about the repair of this car and have photos of the damage. If you want more info PM me.

#6 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 10:02 AM

Was the person you bought it from a young Asian?

#7 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 10:07 AM

And the exhaust didn't just have a crease!!

#8 Andy_mr2sc

Andy_mr2sc

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 10:40 AM

yhm

#9 Wolfstone

Wolfstone

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,984 posts
  • Interests:Northants Pedantic Crew global domination of the media.

Posted 02 November 2017 - 02:08 PM

http://www.vx220.org...d/?fromsearch=1

#10 Wolfstone

Wolfstone

Iceman

• 12,984 posts
  • Interests:Northants Pedantic Crew global domination of the media.

Posted 02 November 2017 - 02:09 PM

Posted Image

#11 tibby

tibby

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • Interests:POWER

Posted 02 November 2017 - 02:19 PM

please inspect whole car with such power level !!!! Surtenly when it has been crashed!! Tiny faillure  can kill you!

Your car has the same power/torque/weigth ratio level as a Gallardo so keep it in perfect working order and inspect everything!

Edited by tibby, 02 November 2017 - 02:20 PM.

#12 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,827 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 02 November 2017 - 07:28 PM

Welcome to .org. Hope this purchase doesn't turn out to be bad news for you.

#13 Andy_mr2sc

Andy_mr2sc

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 09:42 AM

No it's not bad news. I knew it had been crashed and saw the thread on here before buying. Thanks to all on here for your concern and giving me the heads up though. It's great to see you have each others backs.

I've come from TVRs and you see some of those in horrendous states that are rebuilt and live on. Yes I do appreciate you have to be careful with these due to their design and construction. Given the rarity of these cars it would be a crying shame to just crush it if not necessary never to be seen again. I've driven it over 100 miles so far and it doesn't appear to have any nasty habits that a twisted car would have. I've poked around it as far as I can with the clams on and there's nothing nasty looking as yet. I'm going to just enjoy it while we still have some decent weather then get the front and rear clams off and give it a proper going over and spruce up. 

Full credit to Peter on here. He obviously loved the car and put the right money in the right places. It's great fun on the road and I'm looking forward to a few trackdays in the new year. I live very close to Lydden race track and Brands is less than an hr away so they will be my local hunting grounds.

#14 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,827 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 03 November 2017 - 07:55 PM

Really pleased to hear that Andy, so many people get conned.

#15 Ali87

Ali87

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 10:13 PM

Enjoy! Glad it was saved thumbsup

#16 Andy_mr2sc

Andy_mr2sc

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 12:10 PM

Had a great day Tuesday with Jez at Back on Track. We spent most of the day going over the car in detail followed by a some adjustments to the ride height and geo. Everything is straight underneath including the rear subframe with no damage left. I put a new Titan quick steering rack in after finding some play in the old one and this has sharpened the steering back up. He found a small amount of play in the rear Spitfire steering arms and a ball joint, which is just the excuse I need to strip all the suspension out over the winter months, powdercoat and replace everything!

All in all very pleased with the car and a big thanks to Back on Track for spending the time going over the car and giving me some pointers. Very knowledgeable chaps!

#17 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 23 November 2017 - 12:37 PM

I'd be interested to see the dyno plot (and any metrics they might have given) of how Courtenay have mapped it (I assume it's still Courtenay mapped?).

Have fun.

Edited by Nev, 23 November 2017 - 12:38 PM.

#18 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 23 November 2017 - 12:40 PM

Awesome car, well known on here as I understand it. Dyno graph shows 433hp which it certainly feels like. I stepped out of a 625hp M3 S/C into this and it feels quicker!

I once met a insanely fast M3 too, I could not believe how hard it pulled, must have been S/Ced (or T/Ced) without doubt.

#19 Andy_mr2sc

Andy_mr2sc

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 02:25 PM

Yes it was mapped by Courtenay last. I'll have to scan the graph and post it up. From memory it is around 380 ft/lb at 4000rpm and 433hp at 7000.

The pull from the M3 was relentless, but I found when you'd got over the rush of the power it just wasn't as fun to drive. You couldn't throw it down a twisty A or B road the same way you can one of these.

#20 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,507 posts
  • Interests:"Keep it standard"
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 04 June 2018 - 06:05 AM

Is this vx dead again given all it's parts going up for sale ?

Or just a strip back to oem

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users