castor geo rack pre-load

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 04:52 PM

Im finding the steering of my (ex D-dawg) VX too heavy. On track its really hard work. My guess is that its due to the castor/geo set-up but just wanted to check if there are any other potential causes. Could it be something to do with pre-load on the steering rack? Its not tyre pressure and I believe ball joints are fairly recent. Any other ideas?

#2 ChrisS1

ChrisS1

Club OEM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,360 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:18 PM

I replaced the ball joints on my Elise with some that were slightly out of tolerance and the steering was really heavy afterward.

#3 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,727 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:11 PM

Them big heavy wheels won't be helping and 205 tires v195 tires have a big effect on the steering weight

#4 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:40 PM

Ive had speedlines and 205 tyres on other VXs without the same issue so I think its more than that. Will investigate ball joints too. Thanks chaps 👍🏼

#5 Aerodynamic

Aerodynamic

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:50 PM

Do you dare to ask for a power steering? I have a quick rack on mine and 225 front And its ok. I Will change to a littlebit bigger stering wheel tho. Br, Per

#6 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:53 PM

It can be how the ball joints are pressed in. They must be pressed in with a ring around the outside. Any pressure on the joint makes them stiff. Rack preload can do it too. You can check with a Spring guage. Geo also plays a part. If everything is new that won't help. Might need a bit of bedding in if that's the case.

#7 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 08:28 PM

Do you dare to ask for a power steering? I have a quick rack on mine and 225 front And its ok. I Will change to a littlebit bigger stering wheel tho. Br, Per

Not sure if serious :P Its definitely an issue with this particular car, not just TADTS. I most certainly dont need or want PAS!

#8 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 08:31 PM

It can be how the ball joints are pressed in. They must be pressed in with a ring around the outside. Any pressure on the joint makes them stiff. Rack preload can do it too. You can check with a Spring guage. Geo also plays a part. If everything is new that won't help. Might need a bit of bedding in if that's the case.

The parts arent *that* new, so I cant imagine its a bedding in thing. Interesting point about fitting of the joints, Ill check that out chinky chinky

Edited by Foxy, 12 November 2017 - 08:31 PM.

#9 pete-r

pete-r

I never drive faster than I can see

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 08:50 PM

Definitely don't rule out the front wheels, the compo's and 205s will be hard work and if your tyre pressures are low it'll be even worse. Easy thing to check before you start spending.

#10 Foxy_Jr

Foxy_Jr

• PipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:54 PM

To eliminate tyre size and exterior ie. non linkage things, why not jack it up both sides and... Sorry scratch that, probably a really bad idea! ;-)

#11 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:55 PM

:lol:

#12 ianrm

ianrm

Joined - in the past 10.02.2004

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,097 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Football, Cars & Fish keeping.

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:24 PM

Get down the Gym ya whimp

#13 pete-r

pete-r

I never drive faster than I can see

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 11:25 PM

To eliminate tyre size and exterior ie. non linkage things, why not jack it up both sides and... Sorry scratch that, probably a really bad idea! ;-)

That's a cheap shot :)

#14 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:07 AM

:lol:

#15 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:13 AM

disconnect track rod ends at the steering arm ( geo still intact ) and see where the pivot resistance is , ball joints , or steering rack.

#16 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:50 AM

disconnect track rod ends at the steering arm ( geo still intact ) and see where the pivot resistance is , ball joints , or steering rack.

Thanks Steve thumbsup

#17 james4563

james4563

• PipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 11:15 AM

I assume you have checked your tyre pressures?? When I had a slow puncture the steering was noticeably heavier when the tyre pressure was getting low.

#18 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 01:42 PM

I assume you have checked your tyre pressures?? When I had a slow puncture the steering was noticeably heavier when the tyre pressure was getting low.

:drink:

#19 james4563

james4563

• PipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 03:39 PM

What? It was a genuine query...as I didn't realise I had a puncture and tyres didn't look flat at all so I overlooked them.. Fwiw I've changed all suspension joint/bushes and rebuilt my steering rack this month. Even when everything was brand new it didn't feel heavy, just tighter I guess. What castor are you running, that made quite a difference when mine was adjusted.

#20 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 04:25 PM

Yeah, I know sorry. Just that I mentioned in my OP that it wasn't tyre pressures chinky chinky 

I suspect it is to do with castor - but it was set-up for the previous owner (by MBR I believe) so I don't know what the settings are.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: castor, geo, rack pre-load

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users