11 replies to this topic

#1 MattMacc123

MattMacc123

• Pip
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Music, Guitars, fitness, Mechatronics and Robotics

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:37 AM

Hi There,

I am based in Stirling, Scotland. I noticed this has been done to the death! and i have been through a lot of the exhausts posts already and just cannot come to a conclusion. I have a 2.2 Na and have had it for a year now, it has a standard exhaust and its just way too quiet and from what i have been told, restrictive too. I understand you can get Miltek's, Pipercross etc.

I am not very handy with car mechanics and was looking for someone to point me in the right direction, I was looking at Simon's Custom Exhausts in East Kilbride and contacted them who gave me a quote for a 2.5" custom stainless system with precat removed for £650 built and fitted. But of course, the Precat removal would mean an mot fail and i don't know any friendly Mot Testers! He also mentioned that there would be a slight torque decrease in the lower end of the rev range? is this true? 

Any help would be appreciated! Cheers! 

#2 quimbles

quimbles

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:06 AM

pretty sure precat doesnt effect the MOT.

#3 sford

sford

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:12 AM

Pre-cat won't affect your MOT but to be on the staff side, drive the long way to your MOT station.

The NA exhaust system is pretty basic from the manifold back (even the manifold isn't terribly complicated) and a fabricator should be able to make you one up pretty easily. £650 fitted sounds reasonable, backboxes tend to go for around the £200+ mark on the used market as a guide. 

You could also replace/update the intake on the car. You can modify the standard airbox to create a bit more intake noise and retain the standard panel filter or you could look at an aftermarket one. The ITG is my favourite as it seemed to offer good filtration unlike some of the stories I've read on here. 

Be warned, you won't see power gains from these mods.

#4 MattMacc123

MattMacc123

• Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:17 AM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. :) Ah that's good! I had in my head that it would fail for some bizarre reason. It currently has a K&N cone intake i believe. Makes a great induction noise under heavy acceleration.

I understand that the intake and exhaust alone wouldn't see much power if any power increase. But Would the Intake, plus exhaust, plus remap be any good on an N/A? More scared of losing power! 

Thanks,

Matt 

#5 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:31 AM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. :) Ah that's good! I had in my head that it would fail for some bizarre reason. It currently has a K&N cone intake i believe. Makes a great induction noise under heavy acceleration.

I understand that the intake and exhaust alone wouldn't see much power if any power increase. But Would the Intake, plus exhaust, plus remap be any good on an N/A? More scared of losing power! 

Thanks,

Matt 

You MIGHT get another 10-15bhp with a good exhaust. Just don't go any larger than 2.5" (the standard system is 2"). The standard exhaust isn't that restrictive - a few use it with a supercharger and don't loose too much. The removal of the precat is pretty essential though.

My previous NA has a full 2.5" system (incl. manifold), intake and remap, and I think it got 167bhp.. Not massively noticeable on the road. The whole lot must of cost someone £2-2.5k, which is the same as a DIY supercharger conversion..  

#6 Mattyboi

Mattyboi

• PipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:47 AM

My previous NA has a full 2.5" system (incl. manifold), intake and remap, and I think it got 167bhp.. Not massively noticeable on the road. The whole lot must of cost someone £2-2.5k, which is the same as a DIY supercharger conversion..  

Mine had these mods with a similar power level. The previous owner paid a huge amount of money for a remap and got 7 bhp. I wouldnt bother with a remap because you wont notice 7 bhp and the torque and power curves werent much different. Spend the money on a road trip or track days!

#7 MattMacc123

MattMacc123

• Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:03 AM

Thanks for all this :) I have learned a fair bit from this, so cheers!. Apparently it has already had a Courteney remap already and according to some of the paperwork in the car its had a Miltek at some stage in its life! but not now. I would love a supercharger, but with life moving on, my finances are having to go towards other things! Supercharger would be brutal in terms of performance i would imagine?  

Thanks,

Matt 

#8 Mattyboi

Mattyboi

• PipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:10 AM

Thanks for all this :) I have learned a fair bit from this, so cheers!. Apparently it has already had a Courteney remap already and according to some of the paperwork in the car its had a Miltek at some stage in its life! but not now. I would love a supercharger, but with life moving on, my finances are having to go towards other things! Supercharger would be brutal in terms of performance i would imagine?  

Thanks,

Matt 

Are you 100% sure it doesnt have a Miltek on it? Mine had one and you'd never know, it looks and sounds fairly standard.

You should defo get a passenger ride from a local with a SC'd car if you can, its a great mod to make and really transforms the performance without it becoming less usable.

#9 MattMacc123

MattMacc123

• Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:27 AM

To be fair, im not too sure! it doesn't sound very loud at all, doesnt pop or bang or anything like that. The only major noise i get is from the Induction at my left side. 

I am not too sure if anyone has a supercharged up my neck of the woods! Would love to find out though and go for a ride in one. 

#10 Andrew aka Stuwy

Andrew aka Stuwy

Made In England

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts
  • Interests:most things are intersting

Posted 06 December 2017 - 02:00 PM

best get some pics of your exhaust as those in the know will be able to tell what you have

#11 Danceman2020

Danceman2020

• Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:33 PM

Hi Mattmacc123

There are a few SC VX220 in Scotland and i nearly bought one from a nice guy in Edinburgh and it was very quick but did smoke quite a bit... But seemingly thats quite common with SC VX cars. I bought a Turbo and have a few plans over Xmas if i get some time and might think of a Bigger Exhaust System for it at some point so thats quite good to know there is someone up here that can do them ;-).

#12 MattMacc123

MattMacc123

• Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:28 AM

Hi :) I will attempt to get some photographs of the exhaust this week and see if someone can help identify what I have. Danceman, Sounds brilliant! what would the reason for the smoke be? I do love the Turbo, but due to the VX being my first ever performance car I was a bit scared to jump straight into a turbo! Definitely getting used to the NA version of the Vx now though. Simons Custom exhausts get quite a good right up as well! hes based in East Kilbride I think :) 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: exhaust, help, tuning

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users