2,2Na Engine Build 200Hp Idea?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Mikael.Swe

Mikael.Swe

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 03:37 PM

I would like to get 200hp out of my 2.2 engine and would need to get tips on what the best parts are to be able to achieve it.

I would need tips on a good exhaust manifold where I do not need to destroy the cargo space?
Which cams would you recommend for street and track ?
I had intended to use the original engine bottom.

Parts I'm considering buying:

​-65mm throttle body
​-Exhaust manifold 
- Performance fuel pump
-Race cams / springs 
​- Turbo injectors

Parts that I have:

​- Ferrita exhaust / 100cel cat
-Dbilas flowtec intake manifold
-Kn filter

what I've been thinking to modifying:

​- Max ported dbilas flowtec to fit 65mm throttle body
​-ported and polished head

What do you have for tips to optimize the engine after reconstruction?
Buy a step 1 chip or, send ecu to courtenay sport. Or buy a computer program to change ecu.n settings

I live in Sweden and have not found any information that the tuning company here has had the opportunity to optimize the encoded ecu

#2 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts
  • Interests:Playing and teaching guitar / driving

Posted 07 January 2018 - 03:57 PM

It has been proven very difficult to release any more power from the NA. ITBs are the best way but very expensive. Most supercharge and get and extra 100bhp. Have you considered S/Cing? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 Strugs

Strugs

World's #1 cheese fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 04:00 PM

It has been proven very difficult to release any more power from the NA. ITBs are the best way but very expensive. Most supercharge and get and extra 100bhp. Have you considered S/Cing?  

:yeahthat:  

#4 Mikael.Swe

Mikael.Swe

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 04:12 PM

It has been proven very difficult to release any more power from the NA. ITBs are the best way but very expensive. Most supercharge and get and extra 100bhp. Have you considered S/Cing? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been thinking of installing a supercharger but found that there would be concern every year during the car's inspection.I think it would be easier to get through with more hp without sc

#5 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 04:21 PM

you would need Dutch software to use a 65mm TB, but apparently it's well worth the effort.

To get 200bhp from your z22se NA;

increase the compression ratio to 11:1, either skim 1mm from the head or fit z22yh pistons and rods

fit supertech or Dbilas valve springs

fit CompCams stage 2 cams or Piper regrind stage 1

fit a 2.4 inlet manifold or Dbilas intake manifold

fit a decent 4-1 exhaust manifold and a 2.5" system (Tullet are very good)

Have the balancer delete done and increase the rev limit to 7800rpm

Also worth replacing a few items whilst the engine is apart, new rings, chains and a water pump. Use genuine parts as the cheap pattern parts are not intended for high power builds or track use.

#6 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 04:21 PM

I have been thinking of installing a supercharger but found that there would be concern every year during the car's inspection.I think it would be easier to get through with more hp without sc
ITBs then

#7 s-express

s-express

• PipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Interests:cars (obviously) but also turning into a bit of a conservationist....which doesn't really make sense...

Posted 07 January 2018 - 04:22 PM

Got my NA up to 199bhp @ the fly (dyno is a pessimistic one too).

Ported myself, piper cams, 2.4 inlet manifold, Z22YH pistons, Z22YH rods, TTV racing billet flywheel, balanced crank, balancer shaft delete, 2.5" Tullet system inc cat & manifold, Diblas valve springs, LSJ injectors, 2.4 throttle body (GM part no. 12580195), own design 70mm inlet pipe with modified standard air box (and standard filter), Dutch ECU.  :-)

#8 s-express

s-express

• PipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Interests:cars (obviously) but also turning into a bit of a conservationist....which doesn't really make sense...

Posted 07 January 2018 - 04:29 PM

you would need Dutch software to use a 65mm TB, but apparently it's well worth the effort.

increase the compression ratio to 11:1, either skim 1mm from the head or fit z22yh pistons and rods

Also worth replacing a few items whilst the engine is apart, new rings, chains and a water pump. Use genuine parts as the cheap pattern parts are not intended for high power builds or track use.

Great minds ..... :-)

#9 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,727 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 04:34 PM

fit  a honda 

#10 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 04:48 PM

fit  a honda 

:wub:

#11 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 07 January 2018 - 04:50 PM

Do your government yearly tests include opening the engine bay lid and even looking at the engine? In the UK they don't and most MOT test guys would not even know that your car is supercharged (if the whine is minimal).

#12 Mikael.Swe

Mikael.Swe

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 04:58 PM

Do your government yearly tests include opening the engine bay lid and even looking at the engine? In the UK they don't and most MOT test guys would not even know that your car is supercharged (if the whine is minimal).

No, they only see the engine on the outside and check the exhaust gas values. Then they look over the ordinary on the car However, if you come across compressors, they may require the car to be checked and then you have to restore all parts of the car to original parts.

#13 Mikael.Swe

Mikael.Swe

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 05:13 PM

Got my NA up to 199bhp @ the fly (dyno is a pessimistic one too).

Ported myself, piper cams, 2.4 inlet manifold, Z22YH pistons, Z22YH rods, TTV racing billet flywheel, balanced crank, balancer shaft delete, 2.5" Tullet system inc cat & manifold, Diblas valve springs, LSJ injectors, 2.4 throttle body (GM part no. 12580195), own design 70mm inlet pipe with modified standard air box (and standard filter), Dutch ECU.  :-)

sounds very good. think I will build something similar. :)  Does the dutch ecu works well?  

Does the original bottom of the engine handle the increased effect? or will I need to upgrade the pistons?

#14 Mikael.Swe

Mikael.Swe

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 05:15 PM

Thanks for the good advice  :) 

#15 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 06:07 PM

Does the dutch ecu works well?  

Does the original bottom of the engine handle the increased effect? or will I need to upgrade the pistons?

Dutch ECU software works very well thumbsup

Standard pistons and rods should be fine for 200bhp  :)

You could fit some Eagle steel rods, but possibly a bit of an overkill.

Opening up the exhaust ports is also a good idea, just use a standard OEM gasket and open them up to that

#16 2-20

2-20

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 07:47 PM

If you set your rev. Limit to 7800, you' d better install Eagle rods....

#17 oakmere

oakmere

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 01:00 PM

See s-express and Vocky advice above. The 2.4 inlet is better than the Dbilas but if you already have it you will still get over 200 bhp. I have 1mm oversized valves with the head machined to match along with porting and polish. Cams and increased compression will be needed for over 200 bhp. I run Dutch software which will allow the 65mm or 68mm TB to be used both can be fitted to the Dbilas manifold. The LSJ injectors work great and are plug and play when running the Dutch software. I think the Tullett manifold is the only off the shelf option. 7200 rpm is all you will need so std rods should be ok. But upgraded valve springs would be a good idea.

Edited by oakmere, 09 January 2018 - 01:03 PM.

#18 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 01:15 PM

68mm tb will require some rewire. 65 is straight swap.

#19 oakmere

oakmere

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 01:34 PM

It is just a case of swapping a few wires around in the plug. I assume you will have a TB loom extension if running the Dbilas currently? Well remembered Smiley

#20 Strugs

Strugs

World's #1 cheese fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 02:25 PM

I know someone (not me!) that might have a 2.4 manifold available soon..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users