MartinS

I only bought it for one summer. 14 years ago and now its gone&#

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
  • Interests:Track days
    Pubs
    Sausages

Posted 15 January 2018 - 05:24 PM

I didn't think they could make the CTR look worse until I saw the new model! They really are (to me) unbelievably ugly cars. Surprised JG likes them.

Martin S

#22 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,177 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 06:07 PM

Already fcuked a wheel! fcuking work car park with a very low ramp kerb. £662 for a new wheel or £220 refurb (with paint matches for grey and red)

#23 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 06:09 PM

£220 for one wheel... find a different place

#24 CocoPops

CocoPops

• 17,177 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 06:13 PM

Posted Image
minus

#25 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 07:59 PM

Already fcuked a wheel! fcuking work car park with a very low ramp kerb. £662 for a new wheel or £220 refurb (with paint matches for grey and red)

Wow, £220 for a refurb. I only paid £95 to refurb one of the diamond cut wheels on the Evora!

#26 CocoPops

CocoPops

• 17,177 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:02 PM

Yeh, thats worst case if they have to paint match. Separate paint match fees for red and grey, if necessary. Just bought a set on eBay... lets hope I can take the best one of the 4 to make a good (summer) set and then use worst 4 for winters. http://www.ebay.co.u...CM/401474635166

#27 pete-r

pete-r

I never drive faster than I can see

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:04 PM

That's annoying, but it's a daily so now the first issue is found it's over. My mate once bought a pretty expensive mountain bike, took it into the shop car park and let it set sail until it hit the deck so he'd stop being over protective of it.

#28 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:05 PM

Lol you actually spent that much on a spare set of shed wheels?!! Lol

#29 CocoPops

CocoPops

• 17,177 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:11 PM

Lol you actually spent that much on a spare set of shed wheels?!! Lol

Ropey Monzas are £500 :lol: At least I wont have to declare different wheels to insurance :rolleyes:

#30 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:15 PM

:lol: Its a shed, a curbed wheel is just going to happen, the fuckers jump out I tell ya!!! Just ask zoobeef :lol:

#31 CocoPops

CocoPops

• 17,177 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:15 PM

:lol: Its a shed, a curbed wheel is just going to happen, the fuckers jump out I tell ya!!! Just ask zoobeef :lol:

Yeh I did see that.... :lol:

#32 anz3001

anz3001

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 08:47 PM

That's annoying, but it's a daily so now the first issue is found it's over. My mate once bought a pretty expensive mountain bike, took it into the shop car park and let it set sail until it hit the deck so he'd stop being over protective of it.

Yep, got a mate that does motocross, they do the same.

#33 CocoPops

CocoPops

• 17,177 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 02:17 PM

Posted Image
upload image for website

Black Mirror Caps fitted.
PPF fitted (you can see line where water droplets change across bonnet)

#34 iVXT

iVXT

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 11:35 PM

Very nice looking motor that is. Been thinking of looking at something similar myself for a daily. What made you choose it over the Golf R? With the options you picked the price must have been similar. Are there better deals to be had on a Gti? Ive not driven either so any advice appreciated. Thanks :)

Edited by iVXT, 20 January 2018 - 11:36 PM.

#35 pete-r

pete-r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 12:03 AM

The GTI is better to drive than the R IMHO. I tested both back to back and the R felt much heavier (which it is) and somehow it was a bit dull, I think the 4wd is probably the reason. The GTI flows better and slightly less power and grip makes the car more fun to drive hard. The R is crazy fast though, I was trading in an M135i and the R felt even quicker. Had my GTI a year now and still love it!

#36 172Cup

172Cup

• Pip
  • 159 posts
  • Interests:Cars

Posted 21 January 2018 - 09:04 AM

Agreed, I drove the R & GTI back to back and enjoyed the GTI more.  Weighing up all the other factors like purchase price, economy, tyres etc the GTI made much more sense for me.

Had it 2.5 years now so time for a change, will be swapping to an M140 this summer.

The GTI is better to drive than the R IMHO. I tested both back to back and the R felt much heavier (which it is) and somehow it was a bit dull, I think the 4wd is probably the reason. The GTI flows better and slightly less power and grip makes the car more fun to drive hard. The R is crazy fast though, I was trading in an M135i and the R felt even quicker. Had my GTI a year now and still love it!

#37 pete-r

pete-r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 09:15 AM

Eek! I hate the M135/140 as a drivers car. It's real marmite. I ran mine for a year and couldn't wait to get rid.

#38 CocoPops

CocoPops

• 17,177 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 09:48 AM

Youre right though, it was a considered decision on my part. Insurance, servicing, looks, spec etc. My spec/price would have seen me into a lower specd R, but I wanted the spec I have. A equivalent R was still two or three k more. Plus the scare stories of R being so desirable for being stolen.

#39 172Cup

172Cup

• Pip
  • 159 posts
  • Interests:Cars

Posted 21 January 2018 - 10:50 AM

Eek! I hate the M135/140 as a drivers car. It's real marmite. I ran mine for a year and couldn't wait to get rid.

Know what you're saying and I am worried it is more GT car than hot hatch but I need to scratch the 6cyl itch even if its just for a year.

Got the SC VX to fall back on for the excitement.

#40 iVXT

iVXT

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 11:06 AM

Some pair points there especially if the Gti with perf. pack feels the better drive. Having not driven them Im just looking at the reviews & the on paper extra bhp / performance which is what must tempt many people to the R. Looking at leasing prices strangly the R is cheaper per month than a Gti with perf. pack without any other options. Not sure how the pcp deals compare.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users