MartinS

I only bought it for one summer. 14 years ago and now its gone&#

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
  • Interests:Track days
    Pubs
    Sausages

Posted 26 January 2018 - 05:56 PM

Yep its there in this months as a future classic. Just make sure your car is as original as possible.  Oops, I may be talking to a lot of the the wrong people. Now where's the web site for classic, boring car collector.

Martin S

#2 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,827 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 26 January 2018 - 08:23 PM

They keep saying that Martin but who wants an original car? thumbsup

#3 zeezeebaba

zeezeebaba

• Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 09:34 PM

The best way I've found over the years is to modify to my particular taste but keep all the original parts. Buyers then have the option either way and it's always worked for me come resale time. If they don't want the mods I remove them and return to stock if necessary then selling the other parts to try and recoup some of my outgoings.

Edited by zeezeebaba, 26 January 2018 - 09:34 PM.

#4 Johnboyhgt

Johnboyhgt

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts
  • Interests:Girls, Tracks, Mods

Posted 26 January 2018 - 09:46 PM

My way is to keep the car looking OEM body and interior, but modify the mechanicals for spec and performance. My SC looks OEM in every way but the devil can be unleashed. Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

#5 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 11:04 PM

When these cars eventually become proper classics (and that wont be for some years yet) the classic enthusiasts that want them will want them totally standard. They wont want them modified and with a pile of parts they can put back on. TBH the mileage wont matter too much, when people buy Stags, MG's, Elans etc. now they don't worry too much about the mileage. The VX's that will be most sought after will be early ones (so NA's) or limited editions (so VXR's or LY's) as they left the factory with all the original manuals, books in the wallet, original keys, even the original radio and original dealer sticker in the window.

#6 Baron Von Scubadaddy

Baron Von Scubadaddy

STAGE 3.333333333333333333333333333333

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,641 posts
  • Interests:Girls, Cars,..... ! spending time asking questions about why my car won't work

Posted 26 January 2018 - 11:50 PM

Just rebuilt number 114. 1.5k on the clock.

Sump up rebuild.

Totally standard apart from V delete and a bit of head and exhaust work.

At Snetterton last week @5000 rpm it hit 99db on a static.

90db the week before at Brands @4500 rpm

Standard Billies.

Seat bolster fcuked.

Paid £9k 12 years ago.

3 engine builds later.( 1 sh*t one from somewhere I can never repeat 1 from someone else and the 3rd from my workshop with no compromise on parts or labour)

I think I have a pretty sorted standard car.

Even have the same sh*t radio.

Maybe if I gave it a wash I could get decent money for it. 

But I won't sell it.

Ive kept it for my sons to play with! rallly

#7 piwo

piwo

• Pip
  • 167 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 08:51 AM

Orginal 2 channel ABS with ice mode, orginal heavy 5.5 ' wheels And potenza re040 175/50r17 tires? Funny.

Edited by piwo, 27 January 2018 - 08:52 AM.

#8 zeezeebaba

zeezeebaba

• Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 12:18 PM

At the end of the day I've got the car to enjoy. I will have as stated the ability to put it back to standard for resale should that command a premium. I don't agree that it's just the early cars that will command a better mark up either. Special editions in standard form, yes that I agree with. For me regardless of how long I keep her it's nice to have an appreciating asset either way. I have missed the boat on many now cherished cars and the VX probably won't be the last. Saying that the rather anodyne world of new cars doesn't interest me anymore. Maybe that's just an age thing and I have a rose tinted viewpoint on the subject. I have a nice new car but it's just a tool to me and I derive no pleasure from it at all. I'm all for progress but the threat to my hobby that looms from electric to automation I find rather depressing. The VX and elise family are ideal investments because they are still mostly touting green credentials in their lightness of construction and economy compared to other similar performance machines. For enthusiasts like us they represent a benchmark in auto engineering that will appeal for decades to come. I wish I had kept the Mk1 gti or the NSX or the M3 or the ream of RS ford's but I didn't. The VX is a plaything, unstressed and gaining value, I intend to keep this one a little longer :)

Edited by zeezeebaba, 27 January 2018 - 12:25 PM.

#9 Ian59

Ian59

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • Interests:Motorsport, Music, Sci-Fi, Cars and driving,.

Posted 27 January 2018 - 10:34 PM

When these cars eventually become proper classics (and that wont be for some years yet) the classic enthusiasts that want them will want them totally standard. They wont want them modified and with a pile of parts they can put back on. TBH the mileage wont matter too much, when people buy Stags, MG's, Elans etc. now they don't worry too much about the mileage. The VX's that will be most sought after will be early ones (so NA's) or limited editions (so VXR's or LY's) as they left the factory with all the original manuals, books in the wallet, original keys, even the original radio and original dealer sticker in the window.

Guess I'm lucky to have an '02 plate 64K on the clock, full service history, inc all receipts and standard (in and out) except for K & N induction system, radio and a vse. Even kept it on Bridgestones and still have the manuals and service book fully stamped. I'd even thought about selling it as I've only done 5K in 6yrs of ownership. 

Edited by Ian59, 27 January 2018 - 10:38 PM.

#10 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts
  • Interests:Playing and teaching guitar / driving

Posted 28 January 2018 - 02:06 AM

Then drive it more Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 02:15 AM

Ha.... gaaaaaayyyyy :lol: poof

#12 TFD

TFD

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 07:16 AM

I allways save OEM parts so I can build it back to origional spec. Doesnt cost anything to save stuff (well... I've got the spare space so that helps).

#13 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 11:20 AM

The best way I've found over the years is to modify to my particular taste but keep all the original parts. Buyers then have the option either way and it's always worked for me come resale time. If they don't want the mods I remove them and return to stock if necessary then selling the other parts to try and recoup some of my outgoings.

I started that way... then didn't have enough room for the parts so sold them :)

#14 Code Monkey

Code Monkey

forum whore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 08:50 AM

I have kept mine wrapped in bubble wrap with a thin layer of cotton gauze for moisture protection and to stop the plastic sticking to the delicate paint.

It is only driven enough to warm the fluids and keep the tyres in good order and then returned to an air conditioned hermetically sealed garage.

The interior is filled with silica gel when I go on holiday and the leather nourished with the sweat of virgins.

Oh wait no, bought the car for me not the next owner.

If they wanted one should have bought it when they were new or nearly new like I did.

I will enjoy my noisy exhaust, remap, different wheels, suspension, different seats and carbon fibre doo dads and to hell with resale value is a car, drive it.

#15 Strugs

Strugs

World's #1 cheese fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 09:28 AM

I have kept mine wrapped in bubble wrap with a thin layer of cotton gauze for moisture protection and to stop the plastic sticking to the delicate paint.

It is only driven enough to warm the fluids and keep the tyres in good order and then returned to an air conditioned hermetically sealed garage.

The interior is filled with silica gel when I go on holiday and the leather nourished with the sweat of virgins.

Oh wait no, bought the car for me not the next owner.

If they wanted one should have bought it when they were new or nearly new like I did.

I will enjoy my noisy exhaust, remap, different wheels, suspension, different seats and carbon fibre doo dads and to hell with resale value is a car, drive it.

:lol: :lol:  

#16 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 29 January 2018 - 06:46 PM

Basically just described my car apart from there are no virgins in Wakefield.

Edited by jonnyboy, 29 January 2018 - 06:46 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vx220

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users