Photo

Lot Castle Combe Sessioned Track Day Advice.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 MAXR

MAXR

I’m jealous of Batman’s driving skills

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts
  • Interests:Tennis, Golf, classic Ferrari's

Posted 29 January 2018 - 02:42 PM

Im thinking about booking a track day at a track I know reasonably well. Ive never done a sessioned day with LOT. Anyone that has, whats it like? Worthwhile or not? I only booked Openpit days. I dont fancy a day of red flags or playing follow my leader with Lotus boys who wont let you pass. Im looking to use my Porsche, not my Vax.

#2 james_ly

james_ly

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 02:46 PM

Done one at Goodwood and they let you out with gaps, so for me it was too far the other way - didn't have enough cars to chase down. Red flags pretty rare on LoT though.

#3 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 29 January 2018 - 02:51 PM

just to remind you the way around

#4 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 02:55 PM

Bit of a PITA to be honest. I did one at Croft and it was shared with MG's on track and some other. It was only one marque per session but it ends up being a bun fight. Everyone piles out together and unless you are at the front will inevitably be held up. I found it frustrating and have never done another.

#5 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 03:13 PM

Bit of a PITA to be honest. I did one at Croft and it was shared with MG's on track and some other. It was only one marque per session but it ends up being a bun fight. Everyone piles out together and unless you are at the front will inevitably be held up. I found it frustrating and have never done another.

With LoT?

That's quite unusual.

At Combe the number of cars per session is very limited, I've never had a problem there.

If this is the 20th April, I'll be there.

#6 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 03:37 PM

Yep with LOT. It was about 6 years ago, 20 minute sessions per hour with two other companies.

#7 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 03:51 PM

I did that one alot of us did at Rockingham. I'll never do another sessioned day again.

#8 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Interests:Motorbikes, VX220, Procrastination

Posted 29 January 2018 - 06:34 PM

Never had a problem with sessioned days. Its better with bikes as they group by skill rather than make (novice/inters/advanced). Would prefer it if they did that for cars too! The key is how the groups are set and how long the sessions are. Only down side is the need to be ready to go at the allotted time - you can get caught chatting/on the loo/eating bacon/filling up with petrol and have to skip a session or miss some of it. Open pit is better but sessions are OK..

Edited by Captain Vimes, 29 January 2018 - 06:35 PM.

#9 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 06:39 PM

Never had a problem with sessioned days. Its better with bikes as they group by skill rather than make (novice/inters/advanced). Would prefer it if they did that for cars too!

I think they do that at Combe. Well, LoT did last time i was there. 

#10 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 08:02 PM

I seem to recall that Combe was sessioned in the two I did in there with LOT in 2016... 20 minutes per hour on track but numbers were low even in peak summer.  People behaved well and did not hold you up.  I was sure it was a LOT one that you were at in '16... I was in the toddlers group and you were in the well 'ard group with MartinS and co. :)  I also did a Javelin and an Opentrack at Combe in 16 so it could have been one of them I suppose.

#11 MAXR

MAXR

I’m jealous of Batman’s driving skills

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts
  • Interests:Tennis, Golf, classic Ferrari's

Posted 29 January 2018 - 08:13 PM

It's a small circuit with few passing places, so if the car ahead decides not to use their mirrors, it's very frustrating. 

I've been there a few times and seen some shoddy driving & talentless drivers. I may see you there foxy. 

#12 Matt_182

Matt_182

• Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 08:11 AM

I did a sessioned day at Cadwell and found it quite frustrating at times due to the amount of cars stacking up behind each other. If people are courteous it works well but you can never really predict that. 

#13 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 10:50 PM

It's a small circuit with few passing places, so if the car ahead decides not to use their mirrors, it's very frustrating.    I've been there a few times and seen some shoddy driving & talentless drivers. I may see you there foxy.     

20th April Max...if youre still here!

#14 james_ly

james_ly

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 08:36 AM

I wouldn't do LoT sessions again after Silverstone yesterday. You end up in queues behind the Exiges and Evoras that can't drive round corners but bomb it down the straights, or worse, indicate to let you past then pull away full throttle with the indicator on :ffs:

We ended up going out a minute after the pack and got good sessions in the afternoon at least.

#15 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 10:02 AM

:yeahthat: This is my experience of session days. Unless you are first out or wait till everyone is 3/4 of the way round.

#16 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 09:27 AM

Thing to remember about Combe is that its only 12 cars per session

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users