• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jocke_D

Jocke_D

• PipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 10:02 AM

Hi all  

I'm looking to replace my bike hauling van for something a little bit more useable.

I'm thinking it needs to seat 8 (9) + can tow a small caravan or car trailer + fit 5 (6) people at the same time as one och two supermoto bikes are in the back. It is also pretty good if it doesn't cost to much to tax and insure and of course good mileage would be good. To top everything up the mrs need to be able to drive it to work evey day. Pretty tall order, I know....

What I have come up with is a Opel Vivaro/Renault Trafic or a VW Caravelle. Mostly becuase what I buy can't be to big (remember the mrs). In Sweden diesel is stupid expensive to tax but of course nicer to drive than petrol. Also the diesel ones can't tow as much as the petrol. The newer Vivaro/Trafic (2015) has a new, smaller diesel which is a bit cheaper to tax. The petrol Vivaro/Trafic is getting a bit old now. The newer diesel Caravelles (2012-2013) are stupid expensive to purchase and tax. The older petrol Caravelles have always done a huge amount of miles. etc...

Perhaps the best compromise would be a gas powered Caravelle (can tow enough, very low tax, pretty nice interior, a bit bigger than the Vivaro for the bikes). It will have poor mileage and lack a bit of power when towing something but I think I can live with that when the tax bill comes (some 1000sek compared to almost 7000sek for a diesel).

This leads us to the main question: does anyone have any experience with the gas powered Caravelles? What should I check in terms of gas tanks, gas injectors, valves etc?

Sorry for the long story leading up to the main question :)

#2 ChrisS1

ChrisS1

Club OEM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,360 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 10:36 AM

Can't really help other than the fact we've got a 2006 T5 Caravelle 2.5 tdi Not sure what age you're looking at but we've had a few electrical issues with ours but nothing major. Also age is setting in now (for example it needed a section of brake hose replacing for the MOT this year due to corrosion)

#3 Jocke_D

Jocke_D

• PipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 02:29 PM

Can't really help other than the fact we've got a 2006 T5 Caravelle 2.5 tdi Not sure what age you're looking at but we've had a few electrical issues with ours but nothing major. Also age is setting in now (for example it needed a section of brake hose replacing for the MOT this year due to corrosion)

Solid info. Thanks.

The one I'm looking at currently is a 2013 with only 65000km on the clock so hopefully there are some years left in it before age related stuff start appearing :)

Hope this works - link

Edited by Jocke_D, 01 February 2018 - 02:31 PM.

#4 ChrisS1

ChrisS1

Club OEM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,360 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 03:07 PM

Ours has got the electric operated sliding side doors and they are a bit sensitive/temperamental. Barn doors on the back are supposedly less desirable than a full tailgate but I personally don't really see why (other than you can shelter under the tailgate when its raining. Can't see from the photos but ours has rails in the floor the full length of the van which the seats slide along which is really useful and makes the van easy to change configuration. Can't tell whether it is long or short wheelbase but a LWB is a bit more challenging to park (our SWB can sometimes be a bit too long for parking spaces over here). Wife uses ours daily and doesn't find driving it too much of an issue. She likes the high seating position and good visibility. Ours also has a night heater fitted which is really useful so good to check whether it has one of those.

#5 OneYet

OneYet

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 04:30 PM

Forumgas.se might have som gas-specific answers. 

#6 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 01 February 2018 - 06:36 PM

If you live in Sweden, then maybe you should get a steam powered engine, as the wood is almost free and abundant! LOL

Also, it's a REALLY mature technology!

Edited by Nev, 01 February 2018 - 06:38 PM.

#7 Jocke_D

Jocke_D

• PipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 09:15 AM

Ours has got the electric operated sliding side doors and they are a bit sensitive/temperamental. Barn doors on the back are supposedly less desirable than a full tailgate but I personally don't really see why (other than you can shelter under the tailgate when its raining. Can't see from the photos but ours has rails in the floor the full length of the van which the seats slide along which is really useful and makes the van easy to change configuration. Can't tell whether it is long or short wheelbase but a LWB is a bit more challenging to park (our SWB can sometimes be a bit too long for parking spaces over here). Wife uses ours daily and doesn't find driving it too much of an issue. She likes the high seating position and good visibility. Ours also has a night heater fitted which is really useful so good to check whether it has one of those.

Good point about the electric door. Must be a pita when it breaks.

I think I would want the barn doors so that is a good thing if they are less desirable. The normal Caravelle doesn't have the long sliders unless it is some sort of taxi to start with but I really like the idea to be avle to move around the seats a bit more. I must have a LWB or the bikes won't fit in the back.

Most diesel vans here have diesel powered additional heaters which is really good.

Forumgas.se might have som gas-specific answers. 

Thanks. Will take a look :)

If you live in Sweden, then maybe you should get a steam powered engine, as the wood is almost free and abundant! LOL

Also, it's a REALLY mature technology!

If they made one it would be good choice :)

#8 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 05:45 PM

Is it a factory conversion or retrofit?  Much of the reliability of the system will depend upon who fits.  I converted our E30 a couple of years ago and it runs superbly on gas.  Here it's around 50p a litre, compared with £1.20 for unleaded, cheaper still in the summer.  Availability can be an issue, but I know of people who mount a huge tank in a trailer and caravan and tow it around with a flexy pipe to the car.

#9 Jocke_D

Jocke_D

• PipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 01:24 PM

Is it a factory conversion or retrofit?  Much of the reliability of the system will depend upon who fits.  I converted our E30 a couple of years ago and it runs superbly on gas.  Here it's around 50p a litre, compared with £1.20 for unleaded, cheaper still in the summer.  Availability can be an issue, but I know of people who mount a huge tank in a trailer and caravan and tow it around with a flexy pipe to the car.

Factory option. Would not go near some home made conversion (I think).

Jsut to mess with me there now has surfaced a couple of diesel ones that did not cost to much or had to many miles on them. Why can't life be simple... :)

#10 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 08:39 AM

I don't know what it's like in Sweden but diesel is demonised here.  Largely without justification, but volumes are down as owners are concerned of the impact of public opinion and tax on diesel values.  Gas, on the other hand, is so clean little birds nest in my exhaust..... :lol:

Factory fitted has to be the sensible option, but if anything goes wrong, the aftermarket kits are so cheap.  Injectors, reducer, loom, piping and the ECU - all for £200.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users