• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 Tibbles Stryker

Tibbles Stryker

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 12:48 PM

Sorry, simple question but which pads does everyone recommended and from where? Used for fast Road and the occasional track day, currently using 1155's but the brakes aren't as good as they should be? Cheers in advance

#2 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 12:56 PM

Many would recommend M1155's..! Poor performance could be due to a number of issues (not least, you've gotten used to them) - Operation of calipers (e.g. sticking on one side), contaminated surface or poor condition discs, old or over-heated brake fluid.

#3 Tibbles Stryker

Tibbles Stryker

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 12:58 PM

Cheers Rosssco, rebuilt the calipers last year, new aTe fluid last winter....performance of parts is perfect I just would like more bite

#4 Tibbles Stryker

Tibbles Stryker

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 12:59 PM

Sorry I didn't word that too well, I'm just after some more aggressive pads so it stops better 👍

#5 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 01:26 PM

Sorry, didn't mean to teach you to suck eggs! :lol:

I found RC5+ sharper than M1155's, and a really good pad all round (mostly road use for me), although there is the potential issue of the pad material breaking away from the back plate, which while mainly a historic issue, can be slightly off putting..

#6 james_ly

james_ly

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 01:27 PM

Even 1144s could lock the wheels easily, tyres always the limitation in my experience...

#7 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 02 February 2018 - 01:30 PM

Sorry, simple question but which pads does everyone recommended and from where? Used for fast Road and the occasional track day, currently using 1155's but the brakes aren't as good as they should be? Cheers in advance

Check your servo is getting a strong vacuum, the one-way valve and pipe that feeds it are prone to perish and wild cams with too much overlap can cause inlet manifold vacuum to be poor as well.

Edited by Nev, 02 February 2018 - 01:34 PM.

#8 Tibbles Stryker

Tibbles Stryker

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 01:32 PM

Check your servo is getting a strong vacuum, the one-way valve and pipe that feeds it are prone to perish.    
Cheers Nev, I bet those parts are peanuts, I may just swap them as a precaution 👍

#9 Tibbles Stryker

Tibbles Stryker

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 01:35 PM

The brakes are working well should I add, they're just not biting great. Always thought it was a weak spot with the car! Perhaps further investigation is required if everyone thinks 1155 are more than adequate.

#10 WrightStuff

WrightStuff

i am sheldon cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 01:43 PM

The RC5+ were always a good compromise between road use and decent on track.

Had issues with crumbling and separation from the backing plate a few years back, not sure if they fixed this in their production process ?

#11 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• 13,727 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 01:47 PM

What tires are you using ? Are you able to lock them up

#12 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 01:59 PM

Even 1144s could lock the wheels easily, tyres always the limitation in my experience...

Yep, and with 1155's too, but from an 'aggressiveness' / initial bite / feel POV, they both don't have the initial sharpness of the likes of the RC5+ (IME). Whether this is desirable is purely a personal choice I guess. Point and squirt B-road driving, I like the initial aggressiveness, but more difficult to modulate day - day (and twice the price of 1144's!)..

#13 Tibbles Stryker

Tibbles Stryker

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 02:09 PM

Yes I can lock them up with enough pedal pressure, like Rosssco says it's the initial bite I'm after. I've six pots on my mini gp2 and they are excellent. I'm using ad08r tyres. Cheers for the help wondered if the forum was dead now but obviously not 👍 Might try the rc5.

#14 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 02 February 2018 - 02:09 PM

I have RC6 and RC8 and "think" that isn't enough, though in practice they have always stopped me at various hairy moments. These cars are so fast and agile I think the braking on them can sometimes give the perception of being poor in comparison to their other dynamics.

Before I did my brake conversion I was on rc5 I think, and used a phone accelerometer to measure just what was happening. My acceleration was +1.6g, steady cornering was 1.4g, but the braking was "only" -1.4g. Hence the illusion that the brakes "seemed" poor to me, when in fact -1.4g for braking is quite reasonable. Even an NA accelerates bloody quickly until you change into 3rd and can corner hard and could give you this poor braking impression IMO.

Edited by Nev, 02 February 2018 - 02:30 PM.

#15 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 02:33 PM

In my experience 1155s need heat before they are any good which (on the road) is probably why they lack initial bite. Get some 1144s back on as their temperature range is much more suited to road driving.

#16 james_ly

james_ly

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 02:34 PM

Yep, and with 1155's too, but from an 'aggressiveness' / initial bite / feel POV, they both don't have the initial sharpness of the likes of the RC5+ (IME). Whether this is desirable is purely a personal choice I guess. Point and squirt B-road driving, I like the initial aggressiveness, but more difficult to modulate day - day (and twice the price of 1144's!)..

Fair enough. I have a very heavy right foot so never have a problem with this!

#17 james_ly

james_ly

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 02:35 PM

These cars are so fast and agile I think the braking on them can sometimes give the perception of being poor in comparison to their other dynamics.

:yeahthat:

#18 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 02:51 PM

Fair enough. I have a very heavy right foot so never have a problem with this!

A pair of steelies are much cheaper than RC5+'s - you may be onto something! :lol:

#19 Tibbles Stryker

Tibbles Stryker

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 04:17 PM

So Rc5+ are 179 from seriously lotus, is this the best place to purchase from? Thanks in advance if you can help?

#20 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 09:36 PM

In my experience 1155s need heat before they are any good which (on the road) is probably why they lack initial bite. Get some 1144s back on as their temperature range is much more suited to road driving.

This. I loved the m1144's for instant bite and decent braking I loved the m1155's once they had a spot of heat in them for the abuse they could take. I really loved the pfb97's for the face removing braking they offered, but they had dire cold bite. Now this hot/cold into isn't much in many cases, but the 1155's did feel pretty wooden at any temp

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)