Brake Pads Please

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#41 ee601

ee601

• PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 10:45 PM

OOh, I never knew they were so hated..  Maybe I'm wrong, but they seem to suit me.  I'll have to try a set of [color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]Pagid RS4-2 or CL5+ by the sound of it..[/color]

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]Mind you, I thought the gorgonzola was good till I tried the Edam..![/color]

Interesting, and you are certainly in the minority with those! I had a set fitted to my VX when I first bought it. Literally the first thing I changed when I got it home :lol: Perhaps ok on track with some heat, but honestly found them completely wooden for road use.. Full set lying in my cupboard.

Interesting, yes.  What did you replace them with and are you happy?

#42 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,602 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 10:19 AM

Oddly I do know of someone who had M1144's on theirs from the same batch as a set I had, and they were wooden and not very inspiring. Yet mine were totally awesome.

So maybe you are the "lucky" one and the yellows do you right.

#43 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 11:00 AM

OOh, I never knew they were so hated..  Maybe I'm wrong, but they seem to suit me.  I'll have to try a set of [color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]Pagid RS4-2 or CL5+ by the sound of it..[/color]

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]Mind you, I thought the gorgonzola was good till I tried the Edam..![/color]

Interesting, and you are certainly in the minority with those! I had a set fitted to my VX when I first bought it. Literally the first thing I changed when I got it home :lol: Perhaps ok on track with some heat, but honestly found them completely wooden for road use.. Full set lying in my cupboard.

Interesting, yes.  What did you replace them with and are you happy?

I can't remember tbh. A set of Mintex M1155's (the mid road / track pad) I think. They were appreciably better. Agree with others that CL5+ (can be a bit squeaky / clunky if not used in anger now and again) and M1144 are my preferred for regular road use.

#44 james_ly

james_ly

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 11:14 AM

Tempted to try EBC yellows as they are pretty much 1/3 of the price of RS14s, how bad can they be...?

#45 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 11:28 AM

Tempted to try EBC yellows as they are pretty much 1/3 of the price of RS14s, how bad can they be...?

Think I've got a full set going cheap James if of any interest. Previous owner of my car seemed to quite like them on track, but as above, I really didn't like them on the road (cold obviously).

#46 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• 13,727 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 11:38 AM

just ordered a set of RS14 from serious lotus that has them on offer at £311 all in delivered

#47 ee601

ee601

• PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 11:42 AM

One thing with the Yellows - they don’t squeak. They do pull up well on track for me, I’m not chasing milliseconds in a race these days but I always seem to have the brakes on those around me. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#48 james_ly

james_ly

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 11:52 AM

One thing with the Yellows - they don’t squeak. They do pull up well on track for me, I’m not chasing milliseconds in a race these days but I always seem to have the brakes on those around me. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OK, so what's the rough spec of your car, length of sessions? I found with RS42s they would lose their bite on lap 3 and start vibrating after that (on the front). This would shift the bias rearwards as the fronts were mullered, so in the slower speed corners I could feel the rears starting to lock. RS14s fixed that and feel no different on the road. Worried that yellows would have fade (consistency more important to me than outright performance, and I only use AD08s after all...)  

#49 ee601

ee601

• PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 12:24 PM

My car’s supercharged with about 250 horses so quite quick, with Exige S dampers (compliant enough so they don’t shake your teeth out on the road but possibly slightly soft on track but really not a problem). Run 888s on track and I used to race for 15 years with the odd championship wins so while I’m certainly no Lewis I don’t think I’m tootling around. Not conscious of the pads fading, usually 15-20 minute sessions, I can just lock the rears trail braking into some slower corners but that’s not because the fronts aren’t working, it’s just a characteristic I drive to to help turn in sometimes.. possibly as there’s a change of rake under braking (but nothing like the turbo standard suspension - tried one of them at Bedford a few years back and it was easy to drive but a bit of a bucking bronco front to back..) Road driving for me is usually quite mild so brakes aren’t too punished on the road and for me they work well from cold, or maybe after the first couple of (fairly mild) braking instances that is. Not found them a problem at all... Hope that helps. I really should try a few of the others on the VX but for me if it ain’t broken... Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#50 james_ly

james_ly

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 01:34 PM

thumbsup  Good enough for me!

#51 oakmere

oakmere

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 05:19 PM

I have yellows for road only. Found them to be better than the M1144 in the wet and also silent unlike the M1144 that sound like sand paper. Though I dont feel either inspire huge confidence. I might try the Brembo HP or pagid blue next for a change.

#52 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,758 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 25 February 2018 - 07:29 PM

So having read this topic what have I learned? Well:- 1. M1155s are good. 2. M1155s are 'wooden' at any temperature 3. RC5+ are sharper than M1155s 4. M1144s can lock your wheels 5. RC5+ are a good compromise between road and track 6. RC5+ are squeaky clunky and rattle. 7. RC5+ do not rattle and clunk if you take steps to prevent it, but then they do occasionally squeal 8. M1144s are half the price of RC5+ but RC5+ are not twice as good as M1144s 9. M1155s don't have the initial bite of RC5+ and need heat before they're any good 10. M1155s can also lock the wheels like M1144s 11. M1144s have instant bite but RC5+ have even more instant bite 12. Neither M1144 nor M1155 have the initial bite of RC5+ 13. RS14s are 'surprisingly' good from cold but messy and expensive 14. YellowStuff are good on road and track 15. Two slices of cheese will stop you better than YellowStuff, no-one uses them on track 16. Yellowstuff are 'wooden' on the road 17. YellowStuff are better than M1144 on the road in the wet 18. YellowStuff are 1/3 of the price of RS14s 19. Nobody rates Ferodo

Edited by oblomov, 25 February 2018 - 07:30 PM.

#53 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• 13,727 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 07:55 PM

you missed the important thing 

brakes are personnel preference 

#54 zeezeebaba

zeezeebaba

• Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 08:31 PM

I've no idea what's on mine but the dust from them is insane. They stop damn well though.

#55 WrightStuff

WrightStuff

i am sheldon cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:13 PM

RC5+ don't have a good reputation regarding pad crumbling and separation from the backing plate

Edited by WrightStuff, 25 February 2018 - 10:13 PM.

#56 VincentL

VincentL

• Pip
  • 131 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 08:33 AM

No reviews of the pfc11pfc08? An planning to pick up a kit for tracking

#57 WrightStuff

WrightStuff

i am sheldon cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 12:58 PM

I run PF. 11's front and 08's rear.

They are rubbish from cold.

Squeak when hot.

Not too harsh on disks and not too heavy on wear.

Dust is ok to remove.

Stopping power is very good, however I came from the 01's (now discontinued) and the bite is not as powerful as those. 

#58 Mani

Mani

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,665 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 11:06 PM

Pagid RS14 with Yoko Advan 048 Tyre combination approved by vxr. I have been using that combination for 11 out of the last 14 years come rain or shine. Perfect combination. I wouldn't use anything else.

#59 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,758 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 27 February 2018 - 12:34 PM

you missed the important thing 

brakes are personnel preference 

Wasn't that what I said? :-)

#60 siztenboots

siztenboots