• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 benjamineric

benjamineric

• 4 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 04:23 PM

Hi All,

I hope this message finds you well.

Having recently driven a VX220 I've decided I would love to have one. I don't wish to spend more than 10k but based on the searching I have done it seems it's still possible to get some well looked after 50k+ milage examples around this price or less. There are examples on Pistonheads and AutoTrader, but before making any moves on those cars and having just missed out on a really nice example in Northern Ireland, I thought I would see if any one on here either has an example their considering selling or knowS of any one it is worthwhile me getting in touch with.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Kind Regards,

Ben M

#2 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 05:43 PM

Don't even think about the red one at Motorhub in Keighley

#3 Curtiscraddock

Curtiscraddock

• PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 06:17 PM

Whats wrong with it

#4 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 06:43 PM

Whats wrong with it

Who knows. They've had it since God was a boy and they have terrible reputation. Google their name,

Edited by fiveoclock, 18 February 2018 - 06:43 PM.

#5 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 18 February 2018 - 06:54 PM

Just buy our silver one. 11500 but needs nothing and is mint. I'm amazed nobody has jumped on it. Best vfm car we have had for a couple of years. Very easy mistake to go "cheap" and youll be at 13/14k total spend before you know it. This one had a full overhaul at back on track with new everything and 3k spent.

#6 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 09:44 PM

Don't even think about the red one at Motorhub in Keighley

Or anything from tvrglen.

#7 benjamineric

benjamineric

• 4 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 11:36 AM

Many thanks for the swift replies and advice...much appreciated.

To provide a little context; I currently run a BMW M235i but I walk to work and truth be told, when I do head out for drives, as fast as it is, the BMW suffers from not having a LSD and has too much body roll - seems silly to keep paying a lot for something that doesn't give me what I want - so that's going. Given the VX220 would just be for going out driving in, I set a 10k cap for myself thinking that was sensible given the car would be for fun only. That being said, I take the point about ending up paying more in repairs as a result of trying to spend less up front.

@the hardtop guy: Would you mind firing over a link to your car?

#8 kingwowns

kingwowns

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 03:46 PM

Hey benjamineric - I've just listed mine in "cars for sale" on here (and pistonheads) - Take a look and happy to answer questions. Cheers!

#9 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 19 February 2018 - 07:59 PM

Many thanks for the swift replies and advice...much appreciated.   To provide a little context; I currently run a BMW M235i but I walk to work and truth be told, when I do head out for drives, as fast as it is, the BMW suffers from not having a LSD and has too much body roll - seems silly to keep paying a lot for something that doesn't give me what I want - so that's going. Given the VX220 would just be for going out driving in, I set a 10k cap for myself thinking that was sensible given the car would be for fun only. That being said, I take the point about ending up paying more in repairs as a result of trying to spend less up front.   @the hardtop guy: Would you mind firing over a link to your car?

www.jonsealsportscars.com/car/kr02/

#10 benjamineric

benjamineric

• 4 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 08:24 PM

Thanks for sending those links and PMs through. Considering all so far, just building up a list of all my options before making any decisions.

So it seems at this sort of price I'm looking at higher mileage models or Cat D's. So a couple of questions:

- How much life do you tend to see out of these cars? If I buy something with 60-70k on the clock am I realistically going to see much life out of it?

- I have read Cat D's should be considered as these cars can be written off by insurers due to expensive bodywork rather than anything being seriously wrong - so provided the right checks are done they could be a viable option and represent a less expensive way in. That being said, does anyone have any history on this car? I noticed a vx220.org sticker in the back window

#11 Foxy_Jr

Foxy_Jr

• PipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 08:55 PM

Thanks for sending those links and PMs through. Considering all so far, just building up a list of all my options before making any decisions.   So it seems at this sort of price I'm looking at higher mileage models or Cat D's. So a couple of questions: - How much life do you tend to see out of these cars? If I buy something with 60-70k on the clock am I realistically going to see much life out of it? - I have read Cat D's should be considered as these cars can be written off by insurers due to expensive bodywork rather than anything being seriously wrong - so provided the right checks are done they could be a viable option and represent a less expensive way in. That being said, does anyone have any history on this car? I noticed a vx220.org sticker in the back window

This car was for sale in Northwich before Christmas. I popped in to take a look at it, its had quite a lot of work done on it, body kit etc and if I remember the undertray was missing. Dont know any history, but Id probably avoid it as its not my cup of tea! The Northwich dealer has closed, so I guess the Helsby garage bought the stock.

#12 benjamineric

benjamineric

• 4 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 11:13 PM

Thanks for the candid feedback. I was sent the car's only service history tonight; it's a handwritten document - I think I'll put that one in the avoid pile :)

#13 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 12:23 AM

Thanks for the candid feedback. I was sent the car's only service history tonight; it's a handwritten document - I think I'll put that one in the avoid pile :)

There are cars which have fsh and are dogs; there are also very nice cars with patchy history. (I have one of each! :lol: ). The best way to get a feel of what makes a good car, is to see lots of cars. Interiors and unseen bits (wishbones etc) will tell you much more than a few Vauxhall stamps in a cheap book.

#14 entwistlea

entwistlea

• 5 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 06:49 PM

still looking? Have a Lightning special edition, 56k, solid history. Just having an ABS sensor replaced then will be up for sale

#15 ElizP987

ElizP987

• 4,037 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:16 AM

got a nice 54k one in yellow will be up for sale in approx 2 weeks

#16 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 17 March 2018 - 09:56 AM

... the BMW suffers from not having a LSD and has too much body roll

VX220s have "trick" suspension (unequal length wishbones) that deliberately adds grip as they roll, so if you get a VX220 that doesn't roll it may not be as grippy as it should be. Worth noting.

#17 VX-Ni

VX-Ni

• 9 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 10:10 PM

If you're still in the market... I'm selling my 2003 2.2 NA in metallic silver which has just turned 43k genuine miles. Car is totally standard as far as I am aware except for an induction kit. Completely genuine and fully HPI clear with no history of damage and no finance outstanding. There is a small amount of bubbling (osmosis) on driver's door and a bit on lower part of rear clam - nothing major but I must be honest 😇 Decent history on the car with 5 stamps in book mainly Vauxhall dealers including one last year. Covered tiny miles since MOT which is due in May. One key and have a new battery sitting to go into it (easier said than done...) Been in my garage all winter but took it for a spin on Saturday and drove great. I'm only selling as I have the opportunity to buy a 2004 Turbo near me that I've had my eye on. Can do a part ex but thought I'd try to sell first. If anyone is interested - bearing in mind I'm near Belfast - give me a shout. I'm thinking it's in the £10,000 region but let me know what you think - I'm fairly easy to talk to. Don't seem to be able to post images on here (technologically challenged) but I'm happy to send to interested parties. Reg number is C4 DBT which I plan to hang onto. Any questions just fire away 😉

#18 VX-Ni

VX-Ni

• 9 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 11:05 PM

Some photos http://s44.photobuck...gin=true&page=1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users