Loudi V8

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#1 mafumoto

mafumoto

• Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 03:39 AM

Hi guys Its time for a new project Ive decided on a s2 chassis mated with an audi fsi v8 Unsure yet whether to go full dsg gearbox or manual As ive yet to source the components needed for the gearbox Maybe some of you here who know there audis can point me in the right direction Anyway heres a little render of the projected outcome Attached File  untitled.2803(5).jpg   248.6KB   38 downloadsAttached File  untitled.2803(5).jpg   248.6KB   38 downloads

#2 driftfaktor

driftfaktor

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 07:31 AM

The Design looks stunning. I guess i see some pagani and mclaren?

#3 nicollow

nicollow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 08:39 AM

Put my name down for one please!! 4.0tsfi with an s-tronic box, in black.... I have £5000 here :P

#4 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with making cars faster and better than the original

Posted 03 March 2018 - 08:44 AM

Easy option is the passat / a6 poss a4 fwd box which is nice and short and what I looked at to mate to rs4 lump in vx220 I have not looked at the newer box options to uss this engine and settled with the rs3 setup and dsg box but going in my renault 5 converted mid engine rwd (although serious man math options to put in vx lol) Best option is go the fancy syvec option as this can also fully run dsg and just about anything required Good luck and you have a few vood options DG

#5 pete-r

pete-r

I never drive faster than I can see

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 08:50 AM

Design looks fantastic. Huayra/P1/S3 mash up

#6 navx

navx

• PipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 01:07 PM

Show us the back please? Isn't it all about the bass? The front looks fantastic.

#7 mafumoto

mafumoto

• Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 01:10 PM

Yup you can see some huayra/s3/p1 What sites are everyone using for pic hosting these days Thanks Duncan for the info was looking at rs4 engines myself but saw the Apr supercharger stats for the cau and decided that engine would do for starters and then when my wallet and spare organs allowed stick it on top As for the gearboxes would the 2.0 gearboxes mate to the engine or would it be 4.2/3.0 gearbox only

#8 mafumoto

mafumoto

• Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 01:17 PM

Also was looking at the stuff from pcs to control the gearbox inc paddle shifting But not sure if that can control dsg This would be the wallet friendly option Then again would the syvecs still need the motronics and gearbox ecu that would increase budget somewhat

#9 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 01:22 PM

Are you thinking of using an Audi transverse gearbox or longitudinal? Very unlikely the transverse gearbox will fit (the V8 is just not designed with that in mind, plus its too wide), but the later longitudinal transaxles pretty much all fit with some minor mods. Packaging it all is an effort without significant changes to the sub-frame.. A Boxster / Cayman gearbox works I believe, and you have gear shift cables that go forwards, but you will have to extend the wheel base to accommodate it all (by around 6-8 inches by my calcs without terrible driveshaft / CV angles).

Edited by Rosssco, 03 March 2018 - 01:24 PM.

#10 pete-r

pete-r

I never drive faster than I can see

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 01:26 PM

What sites are everyone using for pic hosting these days

I use Flickr since photobucket issues started

#11 mafumoto

mafumoto

• Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 01:56 PM

Yes audi longitudinal config stretching car about 10 inches and building a complete new subframe allowing for straight drive shafts body will be stretched and widened aswell

#12 mafumoto

mafumoto

• Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 02:03 PM

So am i right in thinking any a5 gearbox would fit this cau engine ov course the quattro would need converting to fwd only but there are fwd boxes available Do all Audi gearboxes use the same bolt pattern

#13 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 02:12 PM

Look for OB1 gearboxes (A4 and A5 used them). These are the FWD version with the differential right at the front of the gearbox. With one of these, you could probably away with very little / no chassis stretch, but that would help with the weight distribution. You get petrol and diesel variants. Personally I'd got for a petrol version as they have shorter ratios better suited to a high-revving engine. https://www.ebay.co....wQAAOSwYmZXKfnp

#14 mafumoto

mafumoto

• Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 04:45 PM

great thanks 

would the petrol versions be any weaker than the diesel versions or doesnt it matter on these later boxes

also is the s tronic a dsg  or just standard auto

many thanks for the help so far guys

#15 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 05:33 PM

I'm not sure on relative strengths. They are mostly likely essentially the same save for different ratios, but who knows.

I think the auto is a CVT rather than a DSG, so not really what you want.

Alternatively, if you get a complete RS5 engine / gearbox, you could isolate the rear gearbox output and effectively just run the front outputs. Again, not sure on relatively torque capacities on this arrangement (although its used to driving a 1700kg RS4/5, so...)

#16 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 06:15 PM

Will be interesting to follow this. Once thought about doing something similar, but then with the shorter V6 and that short building longitudinal gearbox. Plenty of power with a tuned suercharger. ;-)

#17 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 07:04 PM

The 3.0 s/c tfsi lump with tested upgrades not only goes very well and strong power levels but is a far easier fit and sounds great DG

#18 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 07:06 PM

Will be interesting to follow this. Once thought about doing something similar, but then with the shorter V6 and that short building longitudinal gearbox. Plenty of power with a tuned suercharger. ;-)

Basically above ;)

#19 mafumoto

mafumoto

• Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 07:25 PM

too late for a v6 instead.

already bought the v8 in s5 form , asking too much for the rs4/5 version

but this can be converted  to rs spec if needed but i aint bothered about horsepower

its the v8 noise and that dsg shift that interest me, very motorsport sounding.

but saying that if i cant source a dsg  and try and work out what it needs to run it properly 

i may refer to a cvt with the pcs controllers

https://www.powertra...Paddle_Shifter/

https://www.powertra...Button_Shifter/

Edited by mafumoto, 03 March 2018 - 07:26 PM.

#20 mafumoto

mafumoto

• Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 07:30 PM

how do i post pics from flickr then

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users