49 replies to this topic

#1 MAXR

MAXR

I’m jealous of Batman’s driving skills

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts
  • Interests:Tennis, Golf, classic Ferrari's

Posted 19 March 2018 - 07:37 PM

Some of you may know that I have a Porsche GT4 CS. It's only been on track twice since I bought it last year. Is it truly astonishing ...Yes, it is also a better track car than my VX....It doesn't feel like it will explode or break on track like most highly strung VX's, especiallly mine. I have always fancied the new 991 GT3 RS 4.0. I know Chris Harris raves about it too. However, Porsche had other ideas as they wouldn't let me buy one new myself. They were quick to relieve me of a £10k deposit two years before they were available, then just simply said 'sorry,' but you were not successful in securing one. Now prices have gone stupid as investors snapped them up, driving up their values to mental levels & way beyond what they are really worth. I have been offered, what is perhaps a great opportunity to finally own one. Here is the deal... Someone interested in purchasing a car from me who actually lives in the U.K. But has been working in Germany for the past two years has a virtually brand new (1200 mile) LHD GT3 RS Clubsport in White which he purchased new with every possible option ticked & I do mean every option. He has offered me the car for a very reasonable £125k shipped with all taxes paid, but only if I agree to sell him a Ferrari I didn't really want to sell and at market value. I know I can sell my GT4 CS for that sort of money or possibly even more. I really can't justify keeping both track cars. To me, the GT3 RS CS looks just mental in the flesh. I was lucky enough to have gone out with a really good driver in his 991 GT3 RS on track last year. Holy fcuk! The sound just makes you grin & the shear acceleration & braking in & out of corners is just eye popping and did I mention the sound? In comparison, the GT4 just doesn't give the same level of Grin, thrust or pub bragging rights. I've been told to make up my mind by this weekend. I hate people that gives you ultimatums like this...although as the title says, it's a nice problem to have. Max

#2 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 07:47 PM

Sounds to me like you've already made your mind up :D 

#3 172Cup

172Cup

• Pip
  • 159 posts
  • Interests:Cars

Posted 19 March 2018 - 07:51 PM

What is the Ferrari?

#4 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,795 posts
  • Interests:Footy, Tennis, Fire.

Posted 19 March 2018 - 08:22 PM

Just buy it Max. If you can handle pootling around in a left hooker ;)

#5 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 09:42 PM

LHD

GAY

but it is the first car i would buy if i won the lottery :lol:

#6 MAXR

MAXR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 09:46 PM

The Ferrari is an F40. I have no intention to drive the GT3 RS on the road anyway regardless of whether it is LHD or RHD. It would just be trailered & used on track & which side the wheel is on, honestly does not bother me. In fact, they sell equally as well over here as they do across the pond. I drive a 2017 Panamera 4S, it's plenty quick enough for me on our roads and is also particularly comfortable for long journeys. I can also leave it anywhere & not come back with multiple embryos taking photos of it or finding out that some jealous twat has pulled of both my windscreen wipers, which has happened.

#7 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,177 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 09:49 PM

F40 for a modern Porsche? No thanks.

#8 MAXR

MAXR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 09:51 PM

LHD     GAY   but it is the first car i would buy if i won the lottery :lol:

Joe, do me a favour matey. Go and stand in front of a mirror & hold up your RHand. That's right, it becomes your left hand! I guess you must be gay too then?😂

#9 172Cup

172Cup

• Pip
  • 159 posts
  • Interests:Cars

Posted 19 March 2018 - 09:55 PM

F40! never owned one or even driven one but if I did I'm sure I wouldn't consider swapping for a Porsche. Love Porsche but 355, F40, 959, F50 would never be on a swap list for me.

Do you drive  the F40 currently? Is this more about having a car you can use?

#10 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 09:59 PM

DUDE f40 for a porsche...even more gay now :lol:

#11 MAXR

MAXR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 10:04 PM

It's not a nice thing to drive on the road. I've done about 200 mile in it. Awful lag, very wide, super noisy, very hot. Gearbox needs to warm properly before use. Build quality of bodywork; looks like the boys from Norfolk were in charge!

#12 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 10:13 PM

yeah but surely thats a better investment?

#13 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• 12,795 posts
  • Interests:Footy, Tennis, Fire.

Posted 19 March 2018 - 10:23 PM

Agree with Joe, cant see the 911 being an event to drive compared to the Ferrari. But then how many of us have driven an F40... But as youre getting old maybe you need the comfort of the RS ;)

#14 Strugs

Strugs

World's #1 cheese fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 10:24 PM

FWIW, I would keep the F40, flog the GT4 and wait out for another GT3. If you're like me when it comes to car purchases (which I suspect you are.. just with sh!tloads more cash!  :lol: ) it's really easy to convince yourself that this is your "one chance", "there'll never be another", "this is the perfect spec/colour", "if I don't do it now, etc etc.." but we all know that, with a bit of patience, there will always be another.. I would not give up the F40 for it, even if I was only keeping it for the longer-term investment element (which I wouldn't.. I'd drive the fecking thing!!   :lol: )..

#15 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,177 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 10:29 PM

If its so dreadful to drive until warm, Ill come and warm it up gently for you. Come on, really? A classic, that every young boy lusted after, for a modern 911? As Strugs puts it, there will be other 911s there wont be another F40

#16 Crunchie

Crunchie

• PipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Interests:Lots of different things, in lots of different places

Posted 19 March 2018 - 10:44 PM

If the F40 is sh*t to drive and I have heard that they are then sell it. Honestly if you want to look at it because its beautiful then buy a magazine or go oniline. Personally I think the Porker would be more fun to drive but its a lot of cash for something you have to trailer to a track...if I was going to trailer something to a track Id get a Radical  for a lot less money and get something awesome for the road.

#17 Alby

Alby

• Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 11:00 PM

3rd world problems � Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#18 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• 15,275 posts
  • Interests:Plane spotting

Posted 19 March 2018 - 11:07 PM

Nice situation to be in but sounds a bit odd?

Sure the GT3 RS is uber but would you seriously part with an F40 for it? He must be putting £700k+ your way for that to work

I'd just flog the GT4 tbh. or px it

#19 Peter VXR29

Peter VXR29

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Interests:Bike and car track days

Posted 19 March 2018 - 11:16 PM

Same advice I always give......do whatever makes you happy not what others tell you

#20 Harry0075

Harry0075

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • Interests:Cars (Classic + Sportscars), Running, Cycling, and Discovery Turbo!

Posted 19 March 2018 - 11:28 PM

What an awesome problem to have :)

I'd keep the F40, but then that's probably because I'll never actually own one but the thought sounds great...actual practicalities I'd probably be stressed about it.

As above....do what makes you happy :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users