• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 snotvomit

snotvomit

• PipPip
  • 259 posts
  • Interests:Computers, sports cars

Posted 07 April 2018 - 07:11 PM

After 7 1/2 years of ownership, I am going to sell VXR No. 30.

Please don't contact me yet - I will put it up in the "cars for sale" section when it is time (shouldn't be long).

It has been garaged every winter for the last 5 years but it was exposed to frost during the first 2 years and the paintwork suffered.

There are numerous small regions where the paint has flaked off the fibreglass.  There are a couple of other regions where the paint has cracked and will inevitably flake off sooner or later.

I don't know what the best course of action is.

Should I sell it with the paintwork "as is", or is it better to get it all fixed and then sell it at higher price to cover the cost of the respray?  I am not looking to make extra money on the car by fixing the paintwork - I just don't want people to be put off by the flaws.

Any advice would be welcome.

#2 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 07:17 PM

It depends on how much you would put it up for sale for with and without the paintwork done.

Edited by fiveoclock, 07 April 2018 - 07:17 PM.

#3 Strugs

Strugs

World's #1 cheese fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 11:04 PM

It depends on how much you would put it up for sale for with and without the paintwork done.

:yeahthat:

Have you got a respray priced up?

That'd be the only way to be sure on a "do I, don't I?" basis..

#4 rabbidog

rabbidog

• Pip
  • 194 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 11:34 PM

Due to the rarity of VXRs for sale, I doubt many in the market for a VXR will be put off by these flaws as long as the price has been adjusted accordingly. There isnt exactly many alternatives to choose from, and osmosis is a common fault amongst lots of VXs.

Edited by rabbidog, 07 April 2018 - 11:36 PM.

#5 snotvomit

snotvomit

• PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 02:11 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I will go to see the bodyshop during the week, I think.  There is one near here that does classic cars.

I've been trying to determine whether a buyer would prefer a cheaper car that has some paintwork problems or whether they would prefer to pay more and buy one with the paintwork sorted.

If the shop can do it at a decent price then I will probably go for it.

I will post the outcome on here.

#6 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 08 April 2018 - 06:19 AM

Original paint would have more provenance

#7 ChrisS1

ChrisS1

Club OEM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,360 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 06:48 AM

Original paint probably better than a poor spray job which looks like it could be trying to hide problems. A good quality respray isnt going to be cheap.

#8 Dan r

Dan r

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 07:06 AM

I'd rather buy as is, then have the chance to get the work done at a place of my choice.Worth getting a quote from a reputable spray shop and adjusting the price to it.I'm sure many people couldn't be arsed with the hassle, but someone spending the extra and waiting for a vxr would most likely be picky and could be arsed with the hassle.If you get it resprayed you will probably end up keeping it as it'll look so good!

#9 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 08:57 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I will go to see the bodyshop during the week, I think.  There is one near here that does classic cars.

I've been trying to determine whether a buyer would prefer a cheaper car that has some paintwork problems or whether they would prefer to pay more and buy one with the paintwork sorted.

If the shop can do it at a decent price then I will probably go for it.

I will post the outcome on here.

If its a proper repair and paint I think you're going to be shocked at the cost. It sounds to me from your description that every panel needs repair and paint. A decent job could more than £3k, a cheap bodge and blow over could be £1k. 

#10 Mani

Mani

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,665 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 11:20 PM

I would leave as it is. That way the buyer knows what needs doing and pays for the condition of the car as sold. I would rather have original paint with flaws then a spray over. All the best with the sale. Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

#11 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 09 April 2018 - 05:50 AM

Nope. Paint it. No buyer will ever see past iffy paint and they will want to knock more off than the paint will cost. Given the premium asked for a vxr people will be expecting perfection.

#12 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 08:37 AM

Nope. Paint it. No buyer will ever see past iffy paint and they will want to knock more off than the paint will cost. Given the premium asked for a vxr people will be expecting perfection.

This. VXR is a different market to VX

#13 OL11TAL

OL11TAL

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 06:39 PM

I would try selling it as it is now. If you don't sell it within a reasonable amount of time then consider a respray. If you do the respray and cannot get the money you want I think you'll be disappointed. Ifs and buts. What's the mileage and how much you are looking to spend? Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

#14 snotvomit

snotvomit

• PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 01:39 PM

It has 19,870 on the clock.

I was holding off doing anything because there was an interested party but they came to look at it today and the paintwork put them off.  They want a VXR that is much closer to pristine.

I will go to see the body shop to at least get a price and see what they think it will cost.   My limit would be 3k but then I would need to add that to the selling price.

Now that the potential buyer has seen it and doesn't want it, I will soon put it in the For Sale section on the forum and maybe on Pistonheads too...

...although I could just say to hell with it and keep it.   I'm feeling increasingly anxious about driving a rare collectors item though.

#15 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 02:38 PM

3k will be more than enough

#16 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,507 posts
  • Interests:"Keep it standard"
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:28 AM

It has 19,870 on the clock.   I was holding off doing anything because there was an interested party but they came to look at it today and the paintwork put them off.  They want a VXR that is much closer to pristine.   I will go to see the body shop to at least get a price and see what they think it will cost.   My limit would be 3k but then I would need to add that to the selling price.   Now that the potential buyer has seen it and doesn't want it, I will soon put it in the For Sale section on the forum and maybe on Pistonheads too...   ...although I could just say to hell with it and keep it.   I'm feeling increasingly anxious about driving a rare collectors item though.

Must of been a very picky buyer only after trying to make profit if he couldn't see past the paint. You do know that after you paint it you will want to keep it

#17 Mani

Mani

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,665 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:16 AM

I guess if you put it for sale on the open market then you will get a lot more interested parties. That will give you more of selling. Repray or no respray, the car will sell providing you price it right for the condition. After all its a vxr and they are rare as unicorn horns. Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

#18 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:03 AM

People who buy this type of car at this time of year for this amount of money want to drive it not repair it. Spend the money, get it painted, get it looking the best you can and at 19k miles you'll get close to the most anyone's got for a VXR to date.

Edited by fiveoclock, 16 April 2018 - 07:05 AM.

#19 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:34 AM

the quality of the repaint will affect the value too, a cheap blow over could even make it worth less.

So get a decent job done if you want top dollar thumbsup

#20 Mattyboi

Mattyboi

• PipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:03 AM

I wouldnt put it up for sale as is, then paint and re-list it because when you add the extra money for the price of the respray it may ring alarm bells with potential buyers.

Edited by Mattyboi, 16 April 2018 - 11:04 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users