Forge Actuator

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 james4563

james4563

• PipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 10:03 AM

Does anyone have experience using one of these?

My turbo smart actuator has been trouble ever since I had it, big over boost ( have seen 26psi quite often ) and the fitment seems a bit off, not very smooth and the actuator bracket actually allows the body of the actuator to move before it will move the rod and open the wastegate.

Anyway I bought a forge actuator to see if it was better, but I'm not reaching the figures of boost I'd expect.

At stage 4 I expect to get around 21-22 psi overboost and then hold maybe 17-19psi.

The spring in the turbosmart actuator was what they deemed a 10psi spring and the same has come in the forge actuator, yet the forge only produces ~11.5psi max.

I had a purple spring supplied as which forge say is 13psi, when fitted that does provide around ~14.5psi boost.

I seem to have no over boost at all though. It builds to its level and then just holds. Is that a good thing, or not?

The next spring up is 15psi ( yellow ), and forge are happy to supply that. They said some people on the astra VXR even run red spring at around 300bhp.

What I don't quite understand is that the standard actuators are from my understanding are rated about 12psi, and they work fine on stage 4 cars and will hold 19 psi. So how come the forge one wont with a similar spring?

Forge also told me that I shouldn't be winding preload onto the spring because that will limit the control the actuator has. I need to get the right spring for the boost target. At the moment I've preloaded the purple spring a bit, and it will peak and hold around 17psi, which is almost right, however there is zero overboost. That's 17psi peak and then it holds like that.

Is it possible that there is no overboost because the forge actuator is controlling the boost much better than the turbosmart and OEM actuators do? It's my understanding that the overboost is not actually a part of the maps, it's simply that the system cannot control it that well and will normally overshoot its target before setting down at a held level?

#2 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 08 April 2018 - 10:37 AM

James, try reset fuse 8 , as it might have the error adaption from the turbosmart problems still learning , hence no overboost.

#3 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 08 April 2018 - 05:18 PM

Surely lack of over-boost is good, you will get less of a torque spike.

Over-boost is just a manifestation of CHRA inertia not being correctly damped by opening of the wastgate fast enough. The fact that you don't have over-boost means your new actuator is working better (more quickly) than the last.

Edited by Nev, 08 April 2018 - 05:26 PM.

#4 james4563

james4563

• PipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 05:56 PM

Over-boost is just a manifestation of CHRA inertia not being correctly damped by opening of the wastgate fast enough. The fact that you don't have over-boost means your new actuator is working better (more quickly) than the last.

Yes that is true, I just found it strange that two actuators claiming the same spring rating of 10psi have such a different boost curve.

My turbo smart without any preload would peak at 26psi easily, which always seemed high to me. The forge actuator with 10psi rated spring will only reach 11psi max. Currently running a purple spring which they said is 13psi rated and peaks at around 16psi with a bit of preload on it, but it just seems to hold pretty flat, unlike the turbosmart that produced this wild overboost at like 2.5k RPM and then dropped off quite sharp up the rev range.

The turbosmart one feels much stiffer when you pull on it ..... (  :blush: )

Maybe it's faulty or they must grade their springs differently.

#5 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:27 AM

Yes that is true, I just found it strange that two actuators claiming the same spring rating of 10psi have such a different boost curve.

My turbo smart without any preload would peak at 26psi easily, which always seemed high to me. The forge actuator with 10psi rated spring will only reach 11psi max. Currently running a purple spring which they said is 13psi rated and peaks at around 16psi with a bit of preload on it, but it just seems to hold pretty flat, unlike the turbosmart that produced this wild overboost at like 2.5k RPM and then dropped off quite sharp up the rev range.

The turbosmart one feels much stiffer when you pull on it ..... (  :blush: )

Maybe it's faulty or they must grade their springs differently.

I guess you've checked for smooth unrestricted articulation of the whole mechanism.

From what you've said, I'd not use your Turbosmart actuator, 26 PSI is stupidly high and must make the car undrivable surely? The Forge item looks the better bet.

When I was on stage 4 many moons ago I experimented by connecting a silicone vac pipe to the nipple on the actuator (thus byassing ECU control of the wastegate). My (and also your) wastegate  then opened at it's base spring pressure (which was about 10 PSI with the Astra VXR actuator (marked with a TZ sticker) if I remember correctly) and I had ultra smooth power delivery (but about 50 HP less roughly).

Edited by Nev, 16 April 2018 - 07:31 AM.

#6 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:29 AM

Just another example of low quality out of tolerance automotive stuff being sold to the masses. :(

In my limited experience the Forge stuff I've bought actually had some effort put into it's design and works. E.g. I have an stand alone Forge 1.25" bypass valve on my car and it's always worked well with 0 maintenance over the 8 years it's been installed.

Edited by Nev, 16 April 2018 - 07:37 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users