Newbie From Lincolnshire

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 TWJC23

TWJC23

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:04 PM

After years of having to be sensible and not have any toys, I have finally treated myself to a VX220. It's a 2002 N/A and needs some TLC. Having had a series one Lotus Elise about 10 years ago (makes me feel old), I've been hankering after another Elise or a VX220 and the VX won it. 

Bought as an eBay risk with no MOT and 100k on the clock, but cheap and very honest! Only 2 owners and seems to have been well maintained but neglected for the last two years. I fell in love with it and probably paid too much!

So far I've given it a full service including new brakes all round, good signs are the oil filter cap came undone without the canister following it and even the brake disc retaining screws undo!

The exhaust is totally shot, so a wallet busting Chris Tullett 2.5" 200 cell cat system is due to arrive next week. The suspension is equally as bad so as an inexpensive initial change I've got 4 struts that look brand new from a 15,000 mile 2010 Elise SC on the way.

I'm sure it will need lots more TLC in the near future but hopefully once the above is complete I can attempt to get an MOT! Doing all the work myself as I love spannering!

Fingers crossed it will soon be one less SORN VX220 back on the road.

Thanks for reading

Tom

#2 TWJC23

TWJC23

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 08:42 AM

Very productive day yesterday, the Tullett system is fitted and sounds lovely. Two new NGK lambda sensors finished it off and no engine management light issues. Changed the gearbox oil with genuine GM fluid, I doubt it's ever been done before.

Also fitted the Bilstein suspension I had purchased. On inspection in must have come from an Elise SC with the LSS pack as they are the Exige part numbers on the shocks / springs with the Zolder 47.5 / 65 spring rates.

As it's got no MOT currently I obviously couldn't take it for a quick drive to see how the ride is, so I can't confirm it felt very nice and a good improvement.  ;)

Hoping to get an MOT booked for next Saturday.

#3 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 27 May 2018 - 05:08 PM

As it's got no MOT currently I obviously couldn't take it for a quick drive to see how the ride is, so I can't confirm it felt very nice and a good improvement.  ;)

LOL.

Good for you, sounds like you know what you're doing. :)

A safety thing to check/replace are the hub carrier bolts, a real weakness on these cars, have a search on here and do it ASAP if I were you.

Edited by Nev, 27 May 2018 - 05:08 PM.

#4 christhegasman

christhegasman

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,316 posts
  • Interests:cars
    motorsport especially BTCC
    rugby
    eating out
    keeping fit

Posted 27 May 2018 - 05:14 PM

As it's got no MOT currently I obviously couldn't take it for a quick drive to see how the ride is, so I can't confirm it felt very nice and a good improvement. ;)

LOL.

Good for you, sounds like you know what you're doing. :)

A safety thing to check/replace are the hub carrier bolts, a real weakness on these cars, have a search on here and do it ASAP if I were you.
And rear toe links unexpected rear wheel steering is crap in a vx

#5 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 27 May 2018 - 05:53 PM

Deffo do HCBs. Two dangers. The originals aren't the right spec and snap in spite of mileage.

Second danger is people seem incapable of fitting replacements correctly. We have picked up a few where not recutting threads has resulted in replacement bolts not being fitted right.

#6 TWJC23

TWJC23

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 05:58 PM

Thanks for the advise. I'll get onto the hub carrier bolts and rear toe links over the next few weeks.  :)

#7 TWJC23

TWJC23

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 06:59 PM

Another good day. Passed the MOT with no advisories!

I then cracked on with the hub carrier bolts. I'd bought the 10.9 hardness ones from Elise parts. Simple job, cleaned the threads with a tap before putting the new bolts in with the appropriate thread lock. Torqued to 68 nm. 

Did develop one problem after a 45 min drive this after noon. The brake pedal stopped returning all the way to the top so I had to manually lift it the last little bit with my foot, otherwise the brakes were still on just a little bit, along with the brake lights!

I've done some reading on this forum and fingers seem to point at the return spring being weak / a plastic piston on the end of the brake pedal / bushes needing lubricating? I'm going to investigate tomorrow, but any advice would be very much appreciated please.  :)

#8 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 02:10 PM

I should have read this earlier.  My front wheel came loose about four miles out of Sleaford on the way to Cadwell in the Compact.  Ended up at Screwfix.

Anyone want to buy a lightly used set of Screfix ring spanners  :lol:

#9 TWJC23

TWJC23

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 02:43 PM

Typical! Would have been more than happy to help.  :)

#10 TWJC23

TWJC23

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 05:17 PM

Another good Saturday on the car. Fingers crossed the sticking brake pedal is sorted, I installed a stronger pedal spring bought from eBay to this spec:

Spring Size: Length x OD x Wire diameter: 78mm x 13.4mm x 1.6mm

It makes a good alternative to the standard brake pedal spring as it's only very slightly shorter but has a thicker diameter wire and feels nice and taught. Also used some PTFE silicone spray to lubricate the pedal bushing and the white plastic piston that the brake pedal connects to (goes into the servo through the firewall). The pedal now comes back up positively and no more sticking brakes.

Then changed the rear toe links, I went for OEM spec as I'm on standard Bridgestones, along with the Elise Parts replacement OEM toe link rods. I like the fact they are slightly longer for less exposed thread and apparently makes them stronger.

Used the laser spirit level trick to keep the tracking where it was before, but still going to get the geometry checked over the next few weeks.

#11 Atom

Atom

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 08:33 PM

Sounds awesome pal, keep us in the loop!

#12 TWJC23

TWJC23

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:35 PM

Decided to change the track rod ends as the rubber boots were starting to go. Nice easy job, steering feels better now, no play at all. Then took the car for a 4 wheel alignment to get the front and rear tracking set correctly. It was miles out and feels 100% better to drive now. 

Need to get some quotes for a respray next, keeping the same colour, just needs smartening up!

#13 turbo boy

turbo boy

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • Interests:Cars, fitness, fishing, sports

Posted 21 July 2018 - 08:35 PM

Hi Tom,

There are a few of us local and we do occasionally meet if you are interested? Just drop me a PM and I will give you my number. Great to see another local one!

Also worth joining the Face book page?

If I can be of any help, give me a shout.

Kind regards,

Jon

#14 TWJC23

TWJC23

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 06:37 AM

Hi Jon,

Sounds good, I'd be up for a local meet next time something is organised. I'll PM you.

Good to know there are a few others locally.

Cheers

Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users