3 replies to this topic

#1 swast4

swast4

• PipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Trackdays

Posted 28 May 2018 - 12:38 AM

Hi,

Sorry to myther you on this subject but I am trying to fit my 4 point harnesses. I've got my wrap around harness bar fitted and already done. I've fitted my cut outs in the seats, but came unstuck when fitting the lap straps. I just ordered my eye bolts and expected to fit them into the chassis where the seat belts mount, but found that the fixings are on the seats and are too big for my harness buckle to fit.

So I've done some digging and it seems to be much better to fit the eye bolts to the chassis anyway, the query is how? I have found where the U shaped rail is behind the seats that I need to mount them too and I know you can get some expensive plates to fit underneath. You basically drill a pilot hole through the chassis rail then drill a 16mm drill hole underneath to line up with the eye bolt and the expensive plate sits underneath. Can I not just drill a 25mm hole and use a nylon nut and fit a small aluminium plate to cover the hole ? 

Adam

#2 swast4

swast4

• PipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 01:04 AM

Please see picPosted Image

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

#3 Arno

Arno

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 06:28 AM

The 'U' channel of the chassis beam is not that wide inside. It's fairly thick walled aluminium, so I'm not sure a big nut would sit/fit inside it.

The Lotus spreader plates basically bridges the air-gap that's between the alu floor sheet and the underside of the chasis cross beam (as it's an inverted 'U' shape basically) to allow it to tighten without crushing or deforming the floor. It also basically inverts a normal spreader plate and puts the threaded section on the inside instead of a nut on the outside to keep it low-profile.

The simple method of using a normal spreader plate and some washers to take up the void between the chassis beam and the floor sheet works fine too, it just means you have a nut sticking out under the car which usually is fine for track cars.

There's multiple methods to go about this.. The Lotus solution is just neat and clean, but expensive.

Bye, Arno.

#4 swast4

swast4

• PipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 12:23 PM

Hi Arno,
Thanks for taking the time to explain, the 25mm hole was to take a socket set to tighten the nut, but I can get cheaply and easily spreader plates with 7/16 nut already welded on, which I'll invert and use with washers as you suggested, so I'll only need to cut 16mm hole. Sometimes you need an easy solution pointing out.....
Thanks
Adam

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users