Dodgy Buyer Warning

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Deaconp

Deaconp

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 08:21 AM

I was due to sell my car this morning to “Nick“ who was coming up by train from London. Stupidly, I took him on trust and didn’t take a deposit. When he was supposed to be half way up from London he texted me to say he wasn’t coming. No explanation. He had asked me to drive it down to him (as I am in London at the end of this week). Thank God I didn’t do that.
Day of changed arrangements, turning down another buyer et cetera. Outrageous behaviour.
I’ve had a succession of time wasters with this sale, but this is the worst behaviour I’ve ever had. If you are approached by Nick, caution is advised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,177 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 08:44 AM

Sorry, if no deposit, why didn't you carry on selling the car to these many other interested parties?
Also, "Nick" hardly narrows it down :rolleyes:

#3 Deaconp

Deaconp

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 08:51 AM

Sorry, if no deposit, why didn't you carry on selling the car to these many other interested parties?
Also, "Nick" hardly narrows it down :rolleyes:

....because we agreed a price and made arrangements on Monday evening and he was collecting today. I turned down another offer later on Monday evening.
I do have “Nick’s” surname and mobile number but obviously am loathe to broadcast these.

#4 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 08:55 AM

Seems you had a similar occurrence 4 weeks ago

http://www.vx220.org...reat-condition/

Where did you advertise, can’t see it on .org

#5 Deaconp

Deaconp

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 08:58 AM

Seems you had a similar occurrence 4 weeks ago

http://www.vx220.org...reat-condition/

Where did you advertise, can’t see it on .org

Yup, not had much luck with my ‘buyers’!

I’ve only advertised on PH, guess I could put a link to the ad on here though.

#6 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 08:58 AM

There's always a reason why someone doesnt offer a deposit. If it was me buying and I was serious I'd want to secure the car and would pay a deposit. Even with a deposit the sale isnt guaranteed. I was recently selling an MX5 and took a £200 deposit, never heard from him again!!! Years ago I was selling a 24v Senator and had two people give me £100 deposits never to be heard of again.

#7 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 09:02 AM

You need to be a bit more mercenary, only remove from sale after a decent deposit has been paid. If they don't want to pay a deposit then if its still there when they want to collect then all well and good and if not then tough

#8 Deaconp

Deaconp

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 09:21 AM

You need to be a bit more mercenary, only remove from sale after a decent deposit has been paid. If they don't want to pay a deposit then if its still there when they want to collect then all well and good and if not then tough

Agreed. Next time! I should say, however, that I’ve never paid a deposit (can’t recall having been asked for one)and have always acted on trust. I’ve bought quite a few Lotus over the years and never had a problem buying or selling.
Generally, if someone tells me that they have arranged insurance and have booked their train ticket then I assume that they are going to turn up! Time for a policy change!

#9 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 20 June 2018 - 10:09 AM

I buy a lot of cars from people that have been dicked about I can tell you. Got a basket case S2 yesterday from a guy and now fewer than 3 muppets had messed him about. S2 - HPI clear 56k perfect Honda base and they never some up for slae. Madness! 

#10 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 10:27 AM

I wouldn’t pay a deposit on a private sale.

#11 Wolfstone

Wolfstone

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,984 posts
  • Interests:Northants Pedantic Crew global domination of the media.

Posted 20 June 2018 - 10:31 AM

Neither would I unless maybe I had seen the car first.

#12 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 11:51 AM

Why would you buy a car without seeing it anyway?

#13 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 12:39 PM

Bought three of the recent cars without seeing them.  Two as I trusted the seller (although that Evora was well dodge :lol:), one was cheap enough to throw away if a mistake.

#14 Dan r

Dan r

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 12:39 PM

I've never had to pay a deposit unless I've been to see a car and couldn't transfer money at the time.
Turning offers away before you have actually sold the car is the only thing you could do differently.
I hate selling cars... Come to think of it selling anything is a pain in the arse usually.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

#15 turbo2015

turbo2015

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 12:46 PM

i used to go on trust alot and have bought a few good cars like this, ie cheap car comes up buyer seems half decent put down deposit without seeing car, and then booked oneway ticket to pick  up the car....worked 3 times, and i did well out of them.

Got stung last year bmw 335d guy seemed nice, was selling his sons car who was working abroad,  put down 750 deposit booked a one way flight to scotland,insured it taxed it, every intention to buy it.... he drove down 1.5 hours to meet me at the airport. 

The car had been in a previous accident badly repaired, fromt wing had red showing from where the paint had chipped, rear quarter panel bad body filler. i asked him for my deposit back and said he could take out what he thought was fair for petrol etc , he had taken a day off work and refused.....back he said he would knock 500 off for the paint i said no thanks. 

lesson learned, question for you guys do yo think i can get my bank too fight for my deposit, as the transfer was done bank to bank...been just over a year now 

#16 Wolfstone

Wolfstone

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,984 posts
  • Interests:Northants Pedantic Crew global domination of the media.

Posted 20 June 2018 - 01:55 PM

Why would you buy a car without seeing it anyway?

I wouldn't.

#17 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 02:03 PM

i used to go on trust alot and have bought a few good cars like this, ie cheap car comes up buyer seems half decent put down deposit without seeing car, and then booked oneway ticket to pick  up the car....worked 3 times, and i did well out of them.

Got stung last year bmw 335d guy seemed nice, was selling his sons car who was working abroad,  put down 750 deposit booked a one way flight to scotland,insured it taxed it, every intention to buy it.... he drove down 1.5 hours to meet me at the airport. 

The car had been in a previous accident badly repaired, fromt wing had red showing from where the paint had chipped, rear quarter panel bad body filler. i asked him for my deposit back and said he could take out what he thought was fair for petrol etc , he had taken a day off work and refused.....back he said he would knock 500 off for the paint i said no thanks. 

lesson learned, question for you guys do yo think i can get my bank too fight for my deposit, as the transfer was done bank to bank...been just over a year now

£750 deposit! No way.. Very unlikely you'd get anything back, and doubt the bank would have any interest either if it was a legit transfer.

I treat every potential buyer as dodgy until their dodgy money is in my hand..

#18 rabbidog

rabbidog

• Pip
  • 194 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 02:05 PM

I have bought and sold virtually all the cars i have owned privately, although it is hassle id rather the money in my bank than a dealers.

The biggest worry for me has always been how receive payment but now we are.in the world of fastee

#19 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 02:16 PM

I dont understand why you think you would be entitled to your deposit back. You chose to give a deposit without seeing the car, the seller didnt force you. Its your fault it went wrong. A deposit is for the seller to take his reasonable costs from if the buyer pulls out of the deal, sounds like thats what he did.

#20 rabbidog

rabbidog

• Pip
  • 194 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 02:16 PM

I have bought and sold virtually all the cars i have owned privately, although it is hassle id rather the money in my bank than a dealers.

The biggest worry for me has always been how to receive payment but now we are in the world of faster payment bank transfers its alot easier than cash or bankers drafts. Just make it clear the car is not going anywhere unless cleared funds.

Certainly as has been said on here i wouldnt remove a vehicle from sale unless a deposit had been paid although i understand yr thinking considering the commitment and effort he had seemingly made.

Ive also found you get a better quality of buyer when selling on forums or AutoTrader as opposed to ebay or gumtree and usually a better price.

The only car i really stressed about buying was the VX, was still stressing until jez gave it the thumbs up, and i bought it off a forum member (although not active on the forum for some years).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users