• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#1 turbo2015

turbo2015

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 09:29 PM

seems turbo price's are dipping this year, and cars are taking little longer too shift, whats going on?

on the flip side seeing S/C up for more money than past years.

Above not just based on what ive seen, but people that sell these cars day in day out.

#2 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 09:41 PM

Brexit

#3 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,795 posts
  • Interests:Footy, Tennis, Fire.

Posted 25 June 2018 - 05:58 AM

Some overpriced high miles turbos out there from what I’ve seen.

#4 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 25 June 2018 - 06:21 AM

It's tough conditions this year for sure. We were crazy busy until about April and it's been fairly average since. Cars are selling but there are nowhere near the amount of punters around that we have been used to for the last few years.

I think in a nutshell as JG says people are holding off on purchases due to uncertainty over brexit. This was always going to happen it's actually quite surprising we haven't seen the effects before now. It would seem to be affecting euro buyers too as we have seen a huge drop off in the number of exports year on year too.

I've throttled back on the amount of stock I'm carrying but 20 was a bit much with just 2 of us in any case. Recently seen a but of an upturn actually but it has been an odd year. The particularly crap and long winter has also had an effect and as daft as it may sound the brilliant summer weather is not fantastic for sales.

#5 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 07:28 AM

My reply was actually a bit tongue in cheek, and yet there is probably an element of uncertainty. 

However, the market in new and nearly new Elises which i've been keeping an eye on since Feb/March is completely stagnant. Mildly concerning given that Lotus are building one me one at the moment :blink:

#6 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 07:30 AM

New Lotus sales have been like that since forever really. 50/50 drives sales of the new new cars but totally screws the used market. 

#7 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 07:45 AM

I don't think 50:50 is as common as it once was. 

I haven't used it this time (mostly because it had a more that 50% equity) but much more importantly, there are much bigger discounts available without 50:50. 

#8 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 08:13 AM

As usual the mint cars will sell quickly and the not so mint will take longer, especially if it's had a poor repair earlier in it's life.

#9 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 08:22 AM

As I said in another thread (or was it the cockbook page) I think at the prices being asked now buyers see better value elsewhere. £17k for a turbo with 40k odd miles? You can get a lot of Porsche, Z4 etc. for that sort of money 

#10 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 08:51 AM

I don't think 50:50 is as common as it once was. 

I haven't used it this time (mostly because it had a more that 50% equity) but much more importantly, there are much bigger discounts available without 50:50. 

I did 50/50 I think most do but a lot of people dont like to own up for some reason (supposed to be pocket change for Seloc of course) The way the dealers get paid it's more attractive for them to get you on the finance. I got £12000 off list on my Evora about 5k from the eventual sticker price and still got the 50/50.

I think there's certainly something in the fact that the cars in some ways may become less appealing as they get older but as it looks like the Elise is going to be phased out this is VERY good news for VX220 and S1/S2/3 Elise owners as it is then something that nobody at all makes any more. That combined with the USA opening up to imports in the coming few years they all make decent long term prospects. 

#11 Jetpilot

Jetpilot

• PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 09:42 AM

Tickles me pink that the answer to just about anything and everything in the UK since the vote is, Brexit.

I have never been so busy in the building industry, so people are spending fortunes on their homes and building sites are springing up all over the place (certainly where i live), yet someone wont spend £15k or less on a car, there is absolutely no logic in that all.

Fiveclock is probably far more accurate in my opinion, £15k gives people an awful lot of choice these days and perhaps with the cracking finance deals out there, low or even 0% interest rates, people are tempted into something that normally they wouldnt be able to afford or justify.

Edited by Jetpilot, 25 June 2018 - 09:44 AM.

#12 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 10:20 AM

My reply was actually a bit tongue in cheek, and yet there is probably an element of uncertainty. 

Bit like this weather at the moment, deffo Brexit to blame :)

I think the average punter doesn't consider Brexit at all when purchasing, especially for a sub £20k car.

#13 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• 12,795 posts
  • Interests:Footy, Tennis, Fire.

Posted 25 June 2018 - 11:37 AM

Bit like this weather at the moment, deffo Brexit to blame :)

I think the average punter doesn't consider Brexit at all when purchasing, especially for a sub £20k car.

Agreed 👍

#14 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• 13,727 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 01:22 PM

The costs to keep these cars taxed have sky rocketed, Insurance etc

Not a cheap bit of fun for the weekend anymore on top of the fact parts are harder to get hold off and maintenance costs increasing

The top car prices are also to close to the modern alternative

#15 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 01:51 PM

ZOMG someone is asking £5 less for a car, the prices are sh*t!!!!!!!!!111111????!111one

:lol:

#16 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 01:52 PM

Think Jonny and I were referring to £50k Elises, and their market (or lack there of)

I also did 50:50 on the Exige (which by the way, made getting rid at year 2 quite compelling, along with the other issues which niggled me) with around a £11k discount. That was the reality of 2016 (maybe 17 too).

That just isn't the case now with new Lotuses. Firstly, Lotus is not offering the same level or dealer support that it used to. Secondly, and I believe i'm directly affected, Geely are providing good levels of cashflow, so the need to get cars out on a monthly basis is significantly reduced (which is why they won't build mine for a mad end of june scramble).

Lotus will seek to move up market now too ( Maybe not to the mad dog Bahar era extent) but the £100k elise is not far off, much like the majority of Exiges are now around £100k

#17 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 02:21 PM

Lotus will seek to move up market now too ( Maybe not to the mad dog Bahar era extent) but the £100k elise is not far off, much like the majority of Exiges are now around £100k

Which, IMO, is getting to crazy pricing levels. I guess they must have done sufficient research to decide that is where the market gives them the best returns but I do think they moving away from the pu terms who have bought Long thus cars in the past.

I managed a £14k discount against the screen price (with add ons) and 50/50 on my run out model S1 Evora “special edition” It now seems to be worth 80% of what I paid for it 3 years ago, no doubt helped by the current Lotus pricing policy. Seems more of a good but now than it did 3 years ago.
Silverstone recently tried to get me to trade it in against another Lotus, yes the trade in allowance more than takes care of the deposit on a 410 on another 50/50 scheme but prudence tells me best policy is to keep it or sell and buy something different

Back on topic, good VX220s will still fetch good money. Problem is too many people with average or low condition cars believe theirs is worth more than it is because they’ve seen that prices have risen over the past few years. It just means that it’s time for some sellers to get real!

Edited by PaulCP, 25 June 2018 - 02:26 PM.

#18 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 02:55 PM

Back on topic, good VX220s will still fetch good money. Problem is too many people with average or low condition cars believe theirs is worth more than it is because they’ve seen that prices have risen over the past few years. It just means that it’s time for some sellers to get real!

:yeahthat:

#19 Ratty5

Ratty5

• Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Motorcycles offroad & road bikes, shooting, meeting up for rallys, Yorkshire VX club memeber

Posted 25 June 2018 - 03:04 PM

It's tough conditions this year for sure. We were crazy busy until about April and it's been fairly average since. Cars are selling but there are nowhere near the amount of punters around that we have been used to for the last few years.

I think in a nutshell as JG says people are holding off on purchases due to uncertainty over brexit. This was always going to happen it's actually quite surprising we haven't seen the effects before now. It would seem to be affecting euro buyers too as we have seen a huge drop off in the number of exports year on year too.

I've throttled back on the amount of stock I'm carrying but 20 was a bit much with just 2 of us in any case. Recently seen a but of an upturn actually but it has been an odd year. The particularly crap and long winter has also had an effect and as daft as it may sound the brilliant summer weather is not fantastic for sales.

You would think with a weak pound the export market would be strong? Never has there been a right time for those over seas to buy a cheap car from the UK, yet you say even exports are slow? Maybe Europe is just as bad as here and it's not Brexit just a slow economy across Europe. After all not that long ago we were as good as 1:1 with the Euro and that was long before any Brexit talks were mentioned. We seem to be very quick to blame Brexit for everything now and we seem to forget how bad the pound got when we were really in it, but as a importer myself from manufacturers in Europe, I remember well how much money we lost against the exchange rate back then, and supermarkets were not throwing their prices up then blaming the exchange but now it seems the excuse for everything? We are 1.14 to the Euro right now and that has been stable for some time, granted it could be better and will be I am sure but for many years before Brexit talks it hovered normally around 1.20. What is holding the Euro up? Greece is on its arse and suddenly there is talk about them on the news??, Italy, Portugal, Spain are not much better and Germany & France seem a bit shaky right now yet the Euro stays strong? I just do not get it.

I think the quicker we get this Brexit sorted the quicker we can stop blaming everything on it and move on and show Europe we are a great country and quite capable of doing well with out their blackmailing tactics.

I think the worst thing right now is trying to drive a VX220 with all the big pot holes, already had loads of damaged caused and that was going steady, dread to think what would have happened if I was driving hard.

It seems to be no matter what trade you are in right now it is quieter than normal and even my return from a importers meeting of all the countries there (25 of them) they were all saying the same thing about their economy. Time to stick together and spend well in the UK and support our UK dealers and suppliers.

#20 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• 13,727 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 03:11 PM

Yep wages are stagnated where as cost of living has gone up
Somthing has to give and luxury normally go first

There will always be people that it dosent effect but in reality it's affecting the working class
I've personally had 1 pay increase in 3 years and that wasent even inflation so probably had a massive pay cut over 3 years

This tends to not bother the minimum wage people and the big earners but middle earners,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users