• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Madmitch

Madmitch

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 05:21 AM

If you are heading for France this summer be aware that the speed limit on main roads was reduced on the 1st July from 90kph to 80kph and it is not always signed.  There are all sorts of rumours flying around about loads of new speed cameras installed to maximise the return.  Autoroutes remain 130kph or 110kph for dry and wet conditions respectively and through villages it remains 50kph or less as signed.   

#2 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:38 AM

Jeeze. :(

#3 cucharillas

cucharillas

• Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:40 AM

thanks for the info!

#4 Di3sel

Di3sel

• Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:52 AM

Do you get a ticket if you go even 1km/h beyond the limit, or a similar rule (+10%+2mph) applies in France as well?

#5 ianrm

ianrm

Joined - in the past 10.02.2004

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,097 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Football, Cars & Fish keeping.

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:14 AM

I have been stopped twice for speeding in France, the first time I was doing 122 kmh on a 110 kmh stretch of motorway (saw the sign at the last minute and was just coasting down and they were hiding behind some trees. The second time I was doing 150 kmh on a 130 KMH stretch hadn't seen anothe vehicle for 3 km and god only knows where the pollice car was hiding.

#6 Madmitch

Madmitch

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:52 PM

There is a margin as follows.

For a fixed radar it is 5kmh up to 100kph and 5% of the measured speed above 100kmh.

For a moveable radar it is 10kmh up to 100kmh and 10% of the measured speed above that.

The big potential problem is when they take your licence off you there and then leaving you with a car you cannot drive.  I heard of an English bod being stopped on the Autoroute for a very illegal speed in his Ferrari, having his licence taken off him and having to be driven by his terrified girlfriend who dumped him when they eventually got home!

#7 C8RKH

C8RKH

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:35 PM

Imbeciles!  Quicker we get oot the better.

#8 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:01 PM

Why does the French public not resist this crap?

#9 kipper

kipper

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,364 posts
  • Interests:Things that rotate.
    Smoking various types
    of fish.

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:20 PM

Yep, a few burning tyres across the motorway, generally sorts things out in France!

#10 C8RKH

C8RKH

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:52 PM

Because they do not question authority the way we do in the UK. No. If it was requiring them to just eat a sandwich for lunch on the go, then fook me, their woukd be riots and burning cars on every street....

#11 martinroger

martinroger

• PipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:05 PM

Because they do not question authority the way we do in the UK. No. If it was requiring them to just eat a sandwich for lunch on the go, then fook me, their woukd be riots and burning cars on every street....

It's summer, we too lazy to riot... wait for September though, guaranteed strike !

#12 Crazyfrog (Fab)

Crazyfrog (Fab)

Iceman

• 22,801 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:57 PM

They are and it has been tried and tested in other country in europe and was stop .so lets see 

they have some normal car as well (383 ) on the road to check your speed limit and driven by policemen at the moment and in fews month they will be driven and managed by a private company and  of course you will get the penalty via post.....i am exempt  :happy: ......maximum speed on motorway is 120 mph after you will go to jail ,loose your car and have to re apply for your passeport via your embassy in uk 

https://radars.secur...iere.gouv.fr/#/   usefully tool for camera     ........

and for the radars cars  

http://www.securite-...s/voiture-radar

the radars are on both number plate and cannot be seen with the naked eye ....depenses on the speed you drive it just over  9 % before you will be fine ..

Edited by Crazyfrog (Fab), 12 July 2018 - 10:13 PM.

#13 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 13 July 2018 - 06:06 AM

Does France actually have bad road death stats or is it literally just cash flow like here?

#14 Madmitch

Madmitch

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 07:54 AM

I think it's a combination of the two! 

The road death stats show France as about double the deaths per million inhabitants as the UK, Norway, Sweden and Switzerland.  Worse than Germany, Spain, Netherlands and Eire and about on a par with Italy and Belgium.  Portugal, Poland, Latvia and Estonia are worse and the Balkan states much worse so overall the picture is not terribly good.  Apparently the worst time in France is the summer during the long holidays and that was the justification for launching the reduction on the 1st of July.  We'll see if it stays put when the holidays finish! 

Economically there is no doubt that France, like most other countries right now, badly needs every Centime it can get it's hands on.  Macron's much vaunted economic reforms are making very slow progress and France continues to spend more than half it's GDP in the public sector which also employs more than half of working people.  The price of electricity has been ramping up steadily, the stated objective being a 30% increase over three years, and other taxes such as those on property, the French equivalent of Rates, have been rearranged and not for the benefit of the house owners!   

#15 Wolfstone

Wolfstone

Iceman

• 12,984 posts
  • Interests:Northants Pedantic Crew global domination of the media.

Posted 13 July 2018 - 09:02 AM

Plenty of roads in the UK have been reduced from 60mph to 50mph. Not that I agree with it.

#16 Stevie Dubyah

Stevie Dubyah

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts
  • Interests:Invasive Operations

Posted 13 July 2018 - 12:20 PM

Plenty of roads in the UK have been reduced from 60mph to 50mph. Not that I agree with it.

They are doing that for air quality/congestion reasons though.

Pity they don't review their speed hump policies, and take the traffic calming measures (they installed a 100 yard, 40mph road kink on a 70 mph dual carriage way near me, ffs) out that cause a lot of the deceleration and acceleration.

#17 Wolfstone

Wolfstone

Iceman

• 12,984 posts
  • Interests:Northants Pedantic Crew global domination of the media.

Posted 13 July 2018 - 12:40 PM

Sorry Steve but I think that's council / government bullshit spin. Why do all these 50mph roads seem to have cameras if that's the case? It's done to catch drivers and raise revenue.

#18 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 01:52 PM

Imbeciles!  Quicker we get oot the better.

:yeahthat:

#19 Stevie Dubyah

Stevie Dubyah

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts
  • Interests:Invasive Operations

Posted 13 July 2018 - 01:54 PM

Sorry Steve but I think that's council / government bullshit spin. Why do all these 50mph roads seem to have cameras if that's the case? It's done to catch drivers and raise revenue.

You were supposed to read that in your most sarcastic voice. :D

If they actually cared about pollution/congestion they'd beef up the public transport system and ban all cars.

They charge a tenner a day (or whatever) for the C zone in London; just enough to make you say "screw it... it's still better than the train... I'll pay". If they were that bothered they'd charge £100 or ban cars from the city altogether.

I am aware that there are economics at play in all of the above.

#20 Monoblock81

Monoblock81

• 7 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 04:06 PM

One big question is, now we are off of NEDC testing and 50% of the way to WLTP testing (which is hammering comoany car drivers) why slow roads when the max speed tested is now higher, meaning cars are being geared for ecomony at higher speeds?

Better economy, electrics etc are all a bit like fags, what is good for us is bad for tax revenue

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users