#1 TheRealVXed

TheRealVXed

Sidekick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts
  • Interests:Holy potatoes, fist combat, lycra

Posted 13 July 2018 - 03:39 PM

Hi all,

Give that one of my rear calipers is dead, i am going to spend only about 10% more than a new pair on a big brake kit the rears are eye-wateringly expensive to replace and well..... it's a good excuse :)

I am going to get this kit from EP. https://www.elisepar...ot-caliper-kit/

For moving the 2 pots to the rear, where can I find the brackets I need and also for the old caliper as a handbrake?

Thanks in advance!

Robin

#2 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 03:53 PM

EP do them also:

https://www.elisepar...caliper-mounts/

#3 MAXR

MAXR

I’m jealous of Batman’s driving skills

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts
  • Interests:Tennis, Golf, classic Ferrari's

Posted 13 July 2018 - 07:43 PM

How does fitting the 2 pots on the rear affect the brake bias? Do you have to mix brake pads on each axle to try & compensate? When I tried it, I kept locking the rears too easily, so I went back to the normal single pot on the rears.

#4 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 09:09 PM

Did you get the lambda swapped Robin?

#5 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,864 posts
  • Interests:Sheep & Ducatis
    and now bees

Posted 17 July 2018 - 06:35 AM

How does fitting the 2 pots on the rear affect the brake bias? Do you have to mix brake pads on each axle to try & compensate? When I tried it, I kept locking the rears too easily, so I went back to the normal single pot on the rears.

I planned to fit my front calipers on the rear but was warned about the bias, you should fit a bias valve, I've stayed with my normal rears and 4 pots on the front, rear caliper mounts ( for fronts) and hand brake kits remain in the garage like many of my planned mods!

#6 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,864 posts
    and now bees

Posted 17 July 2018 - 01:15 PM

Hi all,

Give that one of my rear calipers is dead, i am going to spend only about 10% more than a new pair on a big brake kit the rears are eye-wateringly expensive to replace and well..... it's a good excuse :)

I am going to get this kit from EP. https://www.elisepar...ot-caliper-kit/

For moving the 2 pots to the rear, where can I find the brackets I need and also for the old caliper as a handbrake?

Thanks in advance!

Robin

I bought separate spot calipers for handbrake

#7 Cookies220

Cookies220

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 04:52 PM

I've had this conversion for years and never had a problem with brake bias and IIRC I've used the same pad compound at both front and rear.  A couple of weeks ago I had an issue with the original rear calipers getting stuck after applying the handbrake one day, but they just needed some lube.  I think it was just an age thing as others have had problems with their rears who don't have the conversion. 

#8 TheRealVXed

TheRealVXed

Sidekick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:29 AM

Did you get the lambda swapped Robin?

Yes thanks mark, think it was the connector corroded rather than the Lambda itself but swapped it out anyway.  Now I just need to get my computer talking to the ECU... :(

#9 TheRealVXed

TheRealVXed

Sidekick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:30 AM

I've had this conversion for years and never had a problem with brake bias and IIRC I've used the same pad compound at both front and rear.  A couple of weeks ago I had an issue with the original rear calipers getting stuck after applying the handbrake one day, but they just needed some lube.  I think it was just an age thing as others have had problems with their rears who don't have the conversion. 

Thanks, exactly the issue I just had but on original set up.

So you don't feel any different with the conversion in terms of bias?  In all honestly, I wouldn't mind a little more rear end over the standard bias, so do you think it goes this way, or more toward the front?

Thanks

Robin

#10 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:38 AM

Do you track it with serious braking/weight shifting?

#11 Cookies220

Cookies220

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 11:41 AM

To be fair, it's fast road use only so I can't comment as to what it's like on track.

#12 MAXR

MAXR

I’m jealous of Batman’s driving skills

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts
  • Interests:Tennis, Golf, classic Ferrari's

Posted 20 July 2018 - 02:06 PM

I've had this conversion for years and never had a problem with brake bias and IIRC I've used the same pad compound at both front and rear. A couple of weeks ago I had an issue with the original rear calipers getting stuck after applying the handbrake one day, but they just needed some lube. I think it was just an age thing as others have had problems with their rears who don't have the conversion.

To be fair, it's fast road use only so I can't comment as to what it's like on track.

Track & Road is Chalk & cheese....If you dab the brakes hard between 140mph, you don't want to have rear wheels locking up into a corner.

Why on earth would you require a 4 pots/ 2 pot setup for road use? It really doesn't make sense to me. That said, I've never driven my VX on the road.

Many years ago I had AP295 front discs & Pagid RS 42's & later RS14's & they were both Impressive on track, especially the RS14's. I presume you use R888 spec tyres? If you don't, then I'm not sure what benefits you'll get form 2 pots on the rears & 4's up front.

#13 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 03:11 PM

Track & Road is Chalk & cheese....If you dab the brakes hard between 140mph, you don't want to have rear wheels locking up into a corner.

Never a truer word said :(

#14 TheRealVXed

TheRealVXed

Sidekick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 08:17 AM

I only use mine on the track these days.  It is no longer a road car really otherwise I definitely wouldn't consider the change.

#15 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 23 July 2018 - 08:26 AM

if its only trackday , then why do you need handbrake

#16 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 09:01 AM

if its only trackday , then why do you need handbrake

Most probably driven to said trackday, so would be required for the public road.

#17 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 24 July 2018 - 07:43 AM

You can get hydraulic handbrake levers from places like rally design. Work well but not strictly legal. Would depend on how lenient your mot inspector is. Don't rely on one either. They leak down over time. Fine for a hill start but not for parking up over a week or so.

#18 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 10:23 AM

I have had the 2 pots on the rear for years and years, never once found there to be an issue with brake bias at all... jimmy drove it many moons ago and was very impressed and never mentioned anything about it either.

I do have a tendancy to brake oversteer into corners these days so if there is a shift in bias then it suits me.

I keep up to making sure they are all free and working as they should.

Edit : i use the same compound pads both front ans rear.

Edited by chris_uk, 24 July 2018 - 10:23 AM.

#19 TheRealVXed

TheRealVXed

Sidekick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 09:37 AM

I have had the 2 pots on the rear for years and years, never once found there to be an issue with brake bias at all... jimmy drove it many moons ago and was very impressed and never mentioned anything about it either.

I do have a tendancy to brake oversteer into corners these days so if there is a shift in bias then it suits me.

I keep up to making sure they are all free and working as they should.

Edit : i use the same compound pads both front ans rear.

Thanks Chris :thumbsup

Correct assumptions above, very occasional road use means that it needs an MOT hence the need for maintaining the handbrake!

Think I will go for the conversion :)

#20 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,864 posts
    and now bees

Posted 26 July 2018 - 11:21 AM

Let me know how you get on,I have the stuff waiting to be fitted...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users