• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 23 November 2018 - 10:06 AM

I think this was perceived as good info.

http://www.vx220.org...now-makes-sense

#42 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 23 November 2018 - 10:27 AM

So age old question...are 4 pots really night and day better over the originals, decent pads and fluid....?

I think there are too many variables to answer that question...
Such as... is it track only? Type of driver? Etc etc
Well yes, track only - pointless otherwise, except GJOB.
I was thinking more about every aspect of the hardware and how fresh it is; lines, fluid, calipers, pads...plus suspension, tyres, bushes, arb, abs, weight, power...and of course driving style.
Daryl’s D-Dawg was my first vx with 4-pots, also has ally bells. I don’t know what pads were in it when I bought it but the brakes were complete shit. No feel, and little in the way of retardation. I was ready to bin them. I’ve since changed for RC6 all round, fresh fluid, braided hoses at rear.
The other week I got to compare with a 2-pot set up back to back at Cadwell; same RC6, braided lines, but standard calipers and boggo discs. The difference was night and day. MUCH better feel from the 4s and much less pressure required therefore easier to modulate.
Having said that, I don’t think it’s worth it. Standard brakes, set up properly, are great.

#43 TheRealVXed

TheRealVXed

Sidekick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts
  • Interests:Holy potatoes, fist combat, lycra

Posted 23 November 2018 - 01:39 PM

It's really down to how you use the car I think.  I would never have considered this modification until I started to cook my brake on track all the time following the combination of supercharging, R888s and driver training increasing the force I am using the brakes, and also the fact that one of my rear calipers died....

From the research I have done on this topic, unless you do a lot of heavy track work it isn't worth the change.

Once I have completed it however I shall report on my findings :)

Edited by TheRealVXed, 23 November 2018 - 01:40 PM.

#44 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 23 November 2018 - 03:19 PM

Indeed, it’s all perception which helps to build the ego’s of those that believe knocking an extra second of lap time turns them into pros.

The number of times I’ve been on track and been held up approaching corners with my second rate 2 pots due to the 4 pot guy in front still coasting before braking says it all really. Conceptual enhancing of your car will not enhance your driving skills.

#45 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 23 November 2018 - 05:38 PM

Indeed, it’s all perception which helps to build the ego’s of those that believe knocking an extra second of lap time turns them into pros.

The number of times I’ve been on track and been held up approaching corners with my second rate 2 pots due to the 4 pot guy in front still coasting before braking says it all really. Conceptual enhancing of your car will not enhance your driving skills.

I still remember the day when I was lapping Castle Combe on my 2nd or 3rd track day with Nev onboard... he advised that I was coasting into corners, which I think he regretted ;) Such an important part of a good lap time though... times began to fall considerably when I focussed on "manning up" and braking later with no coasting.  All part of learning, but was caught out a number of times into Tower, by leaving braking until the 'braking cone'... not sure they expected people to blindly wait until the cone doing 125mph.

#46 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 23 November 2018 - 06:15 PM

:o

Nev went on a track?!

And we all thought he was a road lunatic. Shame on us!

#47 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,507 posts
  • Interests:"Keep it standard"
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 26 November 2018 - 01:20 AM

Nev went on a track?!

Few quid from everyone to buy Nev a track ticket?

#48 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 06:04 AM

Nev went on a track?!

Few quid from everyone to pay Nev to fuck off?

:D

#49 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 27 November 2018 - 08:49 PM

I still remember the day when I was lapping Castle Combe on my 2nd or 3rd track day with Nev onboard... he advised that I was coasting into corners, which I think he regretted ;) Such an important part of a good lap time though... times began to fall considerably when I focussed on "manning up" and braking later with no coasting.  All part of learning, but was caught out a number of times into Tower, by leaving braking until the 'braking cone'... not sure they expected people to blindly wait until the cone doing 125mph.

Was that the day you overcooked it into Quarry and I yelped like a sissy?!

To the OP, a useful first thing to do before changing brakes is to plumb a humble in-cabin gauge to check your servo is actually seeing the correct vacuum. Our cars are old and vac leaks (or low compression etc) can cause the servo to not see enough vacuum. This is how I isolated my braking issue many years ago. Costs about £20 for a bit of silicone vac line and cheap gauge, you should see at least -23 In/Hg, ideally about -28 on a healthy engine with good pipework at idle. If you have special cams or poor compression those number can drop a LOT, Nipper only manages -13 In/Hg at idle due to cam reversion, which is why I have a 12v vac pump to do the job.

Edited by Nev, 27 November 2018 - 08:55 PM.

#50 Vladimir

Vladimir

• Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 02:29 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys :) resurrecting this thread as having done a lot of research on here and other places, and the death of one of my rear calipers means that I am going for the 4 pot upgrade.  A combination of several driver training training days has massively improved my ability on track over the last year or so, and one of the focal areas has been braking techniques, braking harder and later, cornering faster and then carrying greater velocity than before into the next corner and then braking harder and later and so on, has lead to floppy pedal on track after 3 to 4 laps even on brand new fluid.  Part of this I am sure is due to the dead read caliper sticking and constantly generating heat, but a new pair of those is as much as the upgrade so it's a bit of a no-brainer.

With that being said, I have a shopping list.  Is there anything else I will need to complete this?

- AP 5000 4 pot front calipers

- 295mm EP belled discs

- CL RC6 pads for the 4 pots (already have these in the 2 pots)

- Goodridge hoses for the 4 pots

- Adapter bracket for 2 pots on rear

Thanks all.

VXed

As an advise. I have 4/2pot setup and I'm using handbrakes made by Steffen

http://www.vx220.org...bracket/page-12

Very well build, good looking on the car and functioning so far very good.

#51 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 30 November 2018 - 01:54 PM

anybody taken the A138J40xxF 4 pot caliper and the bracket C138J4015F , from the later Lotus models , they still use the original VX upright

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users