Rear Subframe Cracked

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jhinchy

jhinchy

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 01:32 AM

Anyone ever suffer cracks on rear subframe? Since fitting my toe link kit with the supporting brackets, both sides of my subframe have cracked in the same way. I done a quick weld but the cracking is getting worse. I feel that the supporting brackets are transferring side loads onto an area not designed to deal with them, resulting in cracks. Any advice? 02 2.2 SC stage2 with quaiffe lsd running federal 595s, lots of track use.Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by jhinchy, 19 July 2018 - 01:33 AM.

#2 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 03:40 AM

i have a subframe to repair at the moment due to cracking

wonder if its just fatigue?

#3 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 07:13 AM

I have been running a double sheer bracket on my toe links since 2009. i have done tens of thousands of miles and an uncountable number of trackdays all using semi slicks and i have never had cracks appear in my subframe.

if the car has not been in an incident where the rear wheel has been hit, like sliding into a kerb or what not, i doubt very much that the double sheer bracket is the cause of the cracking.

#4 Arno

Arno

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 07:26 AM

Known issue on the VX/Speedster rear subframes.. Eg see post dating back from 2005 with an OEM toelink:

RearFrame1.jpg

http://www.vx220.org...ers-warning-ii/

Unlike the similar style Toyota-Elise subframes the lower 'legs' on the VX/Speedster subframe are not supported/braced and will likely flex a bit under load. This will at some point fatigue the structure at some points and cause cracks.

Rover based Elises have more 'chunky' lower sections on the subframe, but even those have been known to crack on some cars.

I'd say it's one of those things that can happen to some cars with tracked ones (esp. on semislicks) thatsometimes hit curbs being at the most risk.

BTW.. Welding over stress cracks to fix them is usually pointless as it will just crack again. You'd really need to find the end of the crack (eg. dye penetrant) and then grind/cut out the whole cracked area and weld a plate on/over it. In this case you probably want to take off the subframe to fix it properly.

Bye, Arno.

#5 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 19 July 2018 - 05:00 PM

How different is the Elise / exige subframe? Is it a 'can be made to fit' or a 'completely different' affair?

#6 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,602 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 05:16 PM

Drill stop it and carry on :lol:

#7 Arno

Arno

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 06:48 AM

How different is the Elise / exige subframe? Is it a 'can be made to fit' or a 'completely different' affair?

Toyota Elise rear subframe might be a decent fit on the back of a VX/Speedster chassis. It's quite similar in style and method of attachement to the chassis.

Elise:

30_01.gif

VX/Speedster:

image.png

Of course engine mount location on the subframe will likely be wrong,  but if if fits on the mounting points on the back of the VX/Speedster chassis then it could be something to investigate in case the supply of VX subframes becomes difficult.

The diagram doesn't really show it well but the Toyota-Elise subframe has more of a cross-bar or 'squared up' construction:

rear+subframe_clipped_rev_1-500x500.jpeg

Bye, Arno.

#8 larres

larres

• Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 07:57 AM

Lotus Europa Subframe ?
https://www.ebay-kle...104532-223-4445

#9 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:36 AM

I had a crack in my old subframe. Welded it and never came back, also with toe link brackets fitted/

The Europa (= VX Turbo) subframe is stronger (and heavier) with thicker metal plates!

Also looked into fitting the Elise S2 subframe. Should bolt right up, but wheelbase is shorter and needs a 'spacer' to sort that out. Think it also has a wider track than the VX frams. And off course the rear mount + exhaust routing need some serious modding...

#10 Spitfire Engineering

Spitfire Engineering

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:44 AM

Hi

Can you contact me please at spitfire.engineering@gmail.com as I would like to check something out.

:)

Gaz

Anyone ever suffer cracks on rear subframe? Since fitting my toe link kit with the supporting brackets, both sides of my subframe have cracked in the same way. I done a quick weld but the cracking is getting worse. I feel that the supporting brackets are transferring side loads onto an area not designed to deal with them, resulting in cracks. Any advice? 02 2.2 SC stage2 with quaiffe lsd running federal 595s, lots of track use.f7424fb33d5632abf317cb2bf6a1735c.jpg57bf246f28c4d87492c3fec9eb2b6088.jpg

#11 Spitfire Engineering

Spitfire Engineering

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:56 AM

I would think the closest is the Europa subframe if not identical.

Edit, as far as I can see on my stock images they seem to be identical.

Edited by Spitfire Engineering, 20 July 2018 - 10:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users