14 replies to this topic

#1 MAXR

MAXR

I’m jealous of Batman’s driving skills

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts
  • Interests:Tennis, Golf, classic Ferrari's

Posted 04 August 2018 - 12:04 PM

I have always had issues with is my gear selection, especially when on track & especially after extended stints. The selection has been somewhat like stirring a pot of spanners in a bucket with a wooden spoon. The selection has never been slick or precise.

I had uprated gear cables fitted a while back, but it didn’t make the selection any smoother.

After reading several race car books, it seems that having a correctly adjusted comfortable seat with good reach to the gearknob & steering wheel will shave 2/10ths off a lap! Joe, you should shoehorn a sofa in your car, it may make you quicker!

So, as my seats were out being adjusted on the fixed runners, I decided to adjust my gear selector upwards & closer to the steeeing wheel. I was shocked at how flimsy & flexible the gear housing was. Each gear change would flex the housing dramatically. My new thicker gear cables & handbrake cable were also somewhat restricted & compromised.

I have now bolted a suitably substantial aluminium frame directly to the floor & then bolted the main pivot & secondary joint directly to my new frame, which is now absolutely solid. The cables now take a much better path to the linkages & I have mounted my handbrake on the outside as I have plenty of space.

As I have a large ultrasonic cleaning bath, I stripped properly cleaned all the linkages prior to regreasing them.

Adjusting the new gear cables has made a world of difference to the selection which is now a world away from my old setup. I wish I had done this years ago!

I have also added additional heat sleeving where the cables run close to the engine & up past the manifold.

Next job is to add a spacer on my steering wheel.

Will I be quicker...Who knows, but feeling relaxed & comfortable should make the experience more enjoyable!

9E451C6C-6388-4DF3-BE9F-8E77CD79A48F_zps

#2 Dan r

Dan r

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 02:03 PM

Very satisfying when you get a big improvement for your efforts like that.
Good work.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

#3 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 03:26 PM

I bet you still drive like a wimp. Just a comfortable one :lol: :lol:

#4 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 04 August 2018 - 05:00 PM

Didn't turbo toaster do something similar? :lol:

#5 MAXR

MAXR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 05:05 PM

Didn't turbo toaster do something similar? :lol:

I think his had a small rear wing fitted to the top of his gear knob, which made the gear change quicker!😭

#6 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 04 August 2018 - 07:46 PM

Lol. Probably.

#7 mafumoto

mafumoto

• Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 08:31 PM

found this problem on vxt5 conversion when trying to get 6th gear  the cradle was bending too much-making 5th and 6th a most enjoyable affair sometimes ending up with 4th gear

not good with 450hp will deffo beef it up and try it this way

#8 MAXR

MAXR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 03:13 AM

found this problem on vxt5 conversion when trying to get 6th gear the cradle was bending too much-making 5th and 6th a most enjoyable affair sometimes ending up with 4th gear

not good with 450hp will deffo beef it up and try it this way

I used 127mm x 50mm x 5mm Aluminium angle. Bolted using the existing captive nuts on the floor. The main pivot is hollow. So, I fitted a 115mm M10 bolt through the main pivot, which was a perfect fit & bolted it to my new aluminium angle. The other main ball pivot, which was bolted to the flimsy housing is now bolted to the new aluminium sides. I Fitted a suitable stainless steel washer with correct internal hole on the inside of the old frame to take up the unwanted space. This made the whole pivot much more positive.

Spending time adjusting the main cables to improve the movement of the throw helped. My main aim was to improve improve 4th to 3rd gear change, which would often get 5th. I cleaned all dust & grit from the nylon bearing & joints. I removed my cables from the sheath & sprayed it through with a high temp grease.

The selector on the gearbox end on mine was really dry & not well lubricated. I will keep an eye on mine & again spray it with high temp lubricant at track days.

For those who do not want to raise their gear selector, you don't have to, but beefing up the sides & bolting it to the floor will dramatically improve your gear change. Now the whole frame assembly is now rock solid & way more positive.

#9 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 03:47 AM

or

you could just learn to change gear properly :P

#10 MAXR

MAXR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 03:53 AM

It's my footwear that's the problem....👠

#11 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 03:56 AM

you better get some practice in for next years trackdays.

you're going to need it :P

#12 MAXR

MAXR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:05 AM

Joe, I'd only need a couple of gears to whip your ass! I know your not good with big numbers so to keep it simple for you, let's say I'd just use gears 1 & 2....👀

#13 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 06:42 PM

i would definately accelerate better with my gearbox/ratios but your gears will have better top speed!

i think mine is like 3.5k in 6th gear at 60 or 70 :lol: its horrible commuter :lol:

#14 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 05:49 PM

I've been meaning to tackle this issue for years now, i like your idea, i chopped my stick down years ago for that quicker shift.. it did make a difference but i lost the height and i want that back so im thinking about raising the entire unit up and seeing if that makes it any better. 

#15 MAXR

MAXR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 06:24 PM

I've been meaning to tackle this issue for years now, i like your idea, i chopped my stick down years ago for that quicker shift.. it did make a difference but i lost the height and i want that back so im thinking about raising the entire unit up and seeing if that makes it any better.

Chris,

I wouldn't recommend this to anyone if it wasn't a vast improvement on the factory setup. It would have been a nicer solution to replace the entire existing frame, but this is quick & there would be no major improvement on what I have done. It is far more precise & nicely located higher for a more comfortable change. Just make sure your new brackets are up to the job & that they wont flex at all. The twisting forces exerted on th frame really surprised me.

Like you, I wish I'd done this years ago!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users