11 replies to this topic

#1 james.a

james.a

Proud member of the Northants Pedantic Crew

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,007 posts
  • Interests:Driving Trigger's broom since March 2010

Posted 08 August 2018 - 07:08 PM

Having discovered a completely sticking handbrake, I decided to get the old rear Brembo callipers off the back end of the VX and get them looked at.

I settled on BCS in Long Eaton and they were completely brilliant from start to finish. They provided a very reasonable and detailed quote and their communications throughout were superb – particularly from Katie and Marc.

I sent the callipers to them and received communications to confirm they had arrived and were being examined. Following this they were completely stripped, parts replaced, cleaned, painted and tested. 

Being a VX the refurb was never going to be a simple process and the tiny grub screw didn’t pass muster and needed to be machined from scratch.

Again, BCS were superb and had these built and I got the callipers back as soon as these were done and QC had been passed.

I wish I could post pictures as they look absolutely ‘as new’, came back with new rubbers, sliders, seals, pistons, springs and bleed nipples. They were painted in a dark grey/silver paint – although I was offered various other finish options I opted for the ‘standard’ look. 

They work perfectly and were a very cost-efficient way of ensuring I had working rear brakes and a decent hand brake.

If you need this, I completely recommend them. You can find them here: https://www.bcs-automotive.co.uk/

DM me if you want to see the pictures, happy to send these, failing that they are on my twitter feed @jayton1973 .

#2 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,282 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 11:36 PM

They look good James, but are they new springs? Looks like they’ve just sprayed over them (and the bolts).
Did you have the fronts done too?
BCS seem to have a constant sale which ends tomorrow - do you mind saying what you paid?

chinky chinky

#3 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,392 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 23 February 2019 - 08:47 AM

warranty?

#4 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,282 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 09:54 AM

Lifetime apparently.

#5 172Cup

172Cup

• Pip
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:Cars

Posted 24 February 2019 - 03:30 PM

I am thinking of sending my callipers off to a company called Bigg Red www.biggred.co.uk in the next couple of weeks.

They featured on an episode of car sos the other day and looked like a decent old skool company.  I have emailed them for a quote.

#6 james.a

james.a

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 05:40 PM

I paid £182 for the including them shipping them back to me. They did fit new springs, the old ones had very little spring left in them. They were really good folks to work with and I would definitely use them again. 

Edited by james.a, 24 February 2019 - 05:43 PM.

#7 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,282 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 05:45 PM

They fitted new springs and sprayed over them?
Fronts?

#8 james.a

james.a

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 05:57 PM

I presume so. I didn't get the fronts done as I converted to a Vocky engineered four pot MGtf on 308mm disks. Stops rather nicely now. 

#9 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,282 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 11:28 PM

chinky chinky

#10 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,183 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 10:23 AM

I am thinking of sending my callipers off to a company called Bigg Red www.biggred.co.uk in the next couple of weeks.

They featured on an episode of car sos the other day and looked like a decent old skool company.  I have emailed them for a quote.

Bigg Red are good, but won't touch our Brembo rears. 

#11 james.a

james.a

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 03:18 PM

I can understand that. Mine were delayed as they had to manufacture a particular grub screw themselves as a replacements were no where to be found. 

#12 172Cup

172Cup

• Pip
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:Cars

Posted 25 February 2019 - 07:50 PM

I can understand that. Mine were delayed as they had to manufacture a particular grub screw themselves as a replacements were no where to be found. 

You are right, they have come back to me today saying they don't offer any service for our callipers.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brakes, callipers, refurb

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users