188 replies to this topic

#1 MAXR

MAXR

I’m jealous of Batman’s driving skills

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts
  • Interests:Tennis, Golf, classic Ferrari's

Posted 21 August 2018 - 05:30 PM

Just so that people are aware, I have never used a dremmel in anger before (apart from my simple rear clam & my side scoop mods) or attempted anything like this before!

...The VX is a great car. When it first came out, it looked fresh & interesting. However, I have always found the lower front & lower rear more than a little bit boring & now appears dated. 

Over the years I have seen numerous peoples VX conversions & major body modifications. Very few have to my eye looked like an improvement. Minor vent additions have made the best additions.

That said, I'm about to throw my hat in ring & leave myself open to ridicule & people saying 'Nope, that doesn't work either.'

That's Ok, I'm thick skinned & it's my car. If it looks Sh!t, I will hold my hands up & just fit a new VX clam with 'Robin' vents.

I wanted the extensive changes to sit comfortably with the VX design theme & dare I say it, hopefully, bring it up-to-date without making it a Frankenstein freak. Not easy to do and at the moment, I don't know if I will achieve my goals.

I looked at many cars that I liked but had to obviously choose one that I thought would work well with the overall VX design & that was readily available

I wanted to ensure that the conversion was cheap, so second-hand parts are being used. I also wanted the conversion to be relatively easy to do by anyone wishing to do the same, although the first (mine) will be the most time-consuming & now that I have started, far more involved than I thought. I can, if there is interest, make a master mould of the major frontal part. The upper clam will require changes as I'm using headlights that are a totally different shape. Firstly, because I don't have any VX headlights now & secondly because they are fetching stupid money now. If the original headlights are retained though, then this conversion will be very straightforward indeed. (That's if you like it!!!)

I really didn't want to affect the crash box structure in any way. I also wanted to retain all the original front clam fixings if possible. I've always disliked my front grill opening. the VX looks far better with the V logo, than without IMHO. Another addition I wanted was to have front air vents.

SO, what am I doing?

New%20VX%20Front%206_zps1q8m4ovb.jpg

Ok, I have purposely retained the original front wheel arches including the all-important arch reinforcement structure & fixing points. more on this later.

All Radiator housing fixings & crash box fixings will be retained I will also be fitting new brackets & additional fixings to my new front end, which will use many of these fixing points.

New%20VX%20Front%202_zpsrgntsjju.jpg

New%20VX%20Front%204_zpsqolyzquz.jpg

New%20VX%20Front%203_zps9jrdcxut.jpg

New%20VX%20Front%205_zpsq8npfnkj.jpg

New%20VX%20Front%201_zpslzytyiff.jpg

What have I done so far? And, what car did I base the new front end on? Any guesses? 

I will post up additional photos soon of progress thus far, It will look a little 'Heath Robinson' at the moment, as I can't make most of the changes as I am awaiting the headlights, which is preventing me from making the correct critical cuts. But, it will leave you in no doubt as to which car I have chosen.

Oh, and my rear conversion is even madder than the front and comes from a TOTALLY different car, which I'm sure NO ONE will guess correctly!

#2 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 05:44 PM

A McLaren me thinks.

MhPlWSbQ.jpg

Edited by smiley, 21 August 2018 - 05:57 PM.

#3 MAXR

MAXR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 06:16 PM

I wish! No, the front would cost more than my car is worth!

#4 MAXR

MAXR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 06:28 PM

What front would you choose?

Joe will probably graft a Citroen 2CV front on as it is in keeping with his lap times.

...It's tricky. It's got to be readily available & inexpensive otherwise no one will bother including me.

99% of the time I would always keep it original. But, my VX has to have a reason for me to keep it, as I have other cars that will outshine my VX on track. 

#5 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 06:33 PM

So you mamaged to find something in fibreglass that was cheap, readily available and fits the underside of a vx front.

Not a clue.

#6 MAXR

MAXR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 06:47 PM

Nope, not fibreglass (yet) it will be though. The McLaren front does look fab though.

#7 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 07:07 PM

Radical :D

#8 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 07:13 PM

An S2 Elise

#9 MAXR

MAXR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 07:40 PM

Nope, far more mundane I'm afraid! Put it this way, both Headlights, main bumper, main grill, both side grills, new door mirrors & complete new rear end cost less than £360 DELIVERED!!!

That said, my fiberglass guy will curse me & then rub his hands!

#10 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,177 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 07:50 PM

Gotta be something common then...
Corsa? Fiesta? Astra? Mondeo?

#11 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 07:56 PM

Give us at least a lead you big tease.

#12 MAXR

MAXR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 08:01 PM

OK, it’s early days, & it does look a little untidy at the mo. Hopefully tomorrow I will receive the Audi headlights & air intake grills, so I’ll update with photos again tomorrow.

The bonnet is currently cable tied down. The front edge of the bonnet will lift up 40-50mm. Once the lights and their support cradles are fitted, I will be able to cut & fit the lower headlight area in place & cut the middle section of the bumper correctly. The wheel arches work really well & the Audi front bumper will be cut around the existing arch curvature & bonded in place so that the original VX arch is reinstated. It will nicely blend into the lower bumper corners & will hopefully look seamless?

I will be fitting a black plywood splitter, which the bottom edge of the Audi bumper will sit on & possibly an aluminium custom undertray.

The Audi grill frame will be cut down both width & height wise to look similar to the standard VX grill shape. I hope to fit a black honeycomb mesh/plastic to the main grill & black honeycomb to the side air intake grills. The main grill surround & air intake surrounds will be black too.

The standard VX bonnet sits just perfectly on top of the new front grill, which will overshoot the grill & look rather neat. The Audi headlights look like they will fit the bonnet shape well, but as I haven’t got them yet, it’s only speculation.

The Audi bumper does fit beautifully around the crash box & radiator structure with no modifications. I will be fitting an aluminium box section square bar to the crash box to support the new front end so that it is solid.

I have always disliked the wide, bloated deep front bumper look & skinny tyres on the standard VX. Personally, the lower chin protrusions on the Audi bumper works well (to my eyes) with the VX’s sharp angular design theme. Oh, I also like the daytime running lights on these Audi headlights, very now!

To be fair, it looks a little very awkward at the moment, but I think it will look better once I have fitted it correctly with the headlights. 

New%20VX%20Front%207_zps55lyrh7f.jpg

New%20VX%20Front%208_zpsavzuxve4.jpg

Headlights_zpsn8u0wzcz.jpg

WING%20VENT%208_zpsjgl4bad8.jpg

IMG_0117_zps2qxz4jg4.jpg

#13 CocoPops

CocoPops

• 17,177 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 08:03 PM

Fair play.
Go big or go home! Well done Chap! Will be following!

#14 MAXR

MAXR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 08:09 PM

I'll give £100 to a charity if anyone can guess the rear end I will be grafting on within 20 guesses! Bare in mind how cheap I've bought everything for!

1. ?

#15 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 08:28 PM

What exact r8 is that front from?
I am googeling to find it, but do not get an exact match.

#16 CocoPops

CocoPops

• 17,177 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 08:32 PM

What exact r8 is that front from?
I am googeling to find it, but do not get an exact match.

Looks like 2016 A4.

#17 MAXR

MAXR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 08:42 PM

The front end is from a 2017 Audi A4 B9 front bumper & B9 headlights. The bumper height is being reduced in the middle region keeping the top edge & lower section. It's also have a considerable amount removed from the width by removing a section from the middle.

The A3 bumper could possibly be a better candidate?

#18 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,827 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 21 August 2018 - 08:49 PM

A McLaren me thinks.

MhPlWSbQ.jpg

I like that idea Smiley!

#19 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,827 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 21 August 2018 - 08:50 PM

Great idea Max, look forward to seeing the end result.

#20 CocoPops

CocoPops

• 17,177 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 08:52 PM

Audi TT rear end to match then?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users